“"A little stay in paradise"”
Review of Tradewinds Carmel

Tradewinds Carmel
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
British Columbia, Canada
“"A little stay in paradise"”
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We recently stayed for 2 nights at this hotel and have to say everything was great - we are hoteliers ourself and were impresed by their attention to detail and hospitality. This hotel is situated in a quiet area of the town and a short walk from all main attractions, the breakfast was first class only surpassed by Beritt's (General Manger) personality and professionalism

Room Tip: The different rooms give you a choice of options, we stayed in 23 at the back and could still see th...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MOBOS
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, 20 October 2012
So nice to have fellow hoteliers critique our boutique hotel! Glad that you liked the breakfast! Thank you for your thoughtfulness.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
San Jose, California
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We recently had the opportunity to spend a few nights at the Tradewinds and absolutely loved it! I had booked a room with partial ocean views and a fireplace and it certainly did not disappoint. We even had a little balcony where we could enjoy a cup of coffee or glass of wine. The room was very nicely appointed and I liked the decor. The garden area was lovely with a water feature and fire pit and several nooks where one could sit and enjoy the tranquility. The proximity to downtown was super convenient and the staff was friendly and helpful in making dinner reservations or just answering questions in general. We will definitely be back! Oh, and did I mention Sweetie? The adorable black and white kitty who lives in the lobby? Her name says it all...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Anniversaries, Honeymoons and special occasions...we love! So glad that you had a wonderful Anniversary weekend. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We hope to see you again for many Anniversaries!
Reviewed 13 October 2012

My guy and I enjoyed our stay at the tradewinds but not until we moved 2 times and had to pay an insulting additional $27.00. I booked online a partial ocean view king room with a fireplace. Upon our arrival we were given a room with no fireplace. When I questioned this they replied that since I booked on line they didn't know what I booked. After some shifting around we were taken to another room and told that we were being upgraded for free for our inconvenience. It sounded good until we got in the room to find it was an accessible room with all the necessary features if we required them. However the room was equipped differently, no shower only a tub with a very low hand held shower head, with the tv positioned to the side of the bed rather then in front. Totally unacceptable. My guy went to the desk and was charged an addition fee to move us to the room we had already paid for in full according to the website! Their website. This really spoiled my mood. We did however enjoy a fun walk to dinner, by some great shops and down to the beach. The location is within walking distance of all the sites. The front desk asked that we post to trip advisor when we checked out. Sure they regret that request!

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lucydamico
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay once you got settled. I am sorry that you somehow got booked into a room without a fireplace. A good portion of our reservations are booked on-line. Once in a while, but rarely, we have a guest who books on-line and doesn't get the room desired. We always prefer to discuss the room options with guests so that we can offer you the room that best suits your needs. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and acknowledging that we have a great location!
London UK
Reviewed 4 October 2012

This Asian themed establishment was a place of total calm and tranquility. The rooms were beautifully decorated and surrounded lush gardens with water features which looked wonderful at night with the flickering of candles. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. This place is just a few minutes walk from the centre of town and provides adequate parking. Continental breakfast was a pleasure with lovely fresh produce. We really enjoyed our stay here and were sorry the leave.

sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, 6 October 2012
We love our British guests! You add the elegance. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.
Yorkshire
Reviewed 2 October 2012

What a lovely hotel. Helpful staff, beautiful grounds, stunning room, lots of little treats to make you feel pampered. I would go again just for the toiletries alone. What a relaxing stay. A real treasure of a place.

Room Tip: I would ask for an upstairs room as the view will be better and you would not hear people walking ar...
1 Thank Wallywallis
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, 3 October 2012
We love our guests! It is You who make us classy! In a 1960s article about Tradewinds, we were referred to as "swanky". I like that!
Carmel, California
Reviewed 21 September 2012

After moving to Carmel and finding my new home uninhabitable (water pipe leak), I needed to find a place to stay immediately. Somehow intuition led me to Tradewinds, even though I had never been there or seen the place. They were wonderful, and when they heard my tale of woe, upgraded my room to one with a spa tub. That was just what I needed--relaxation and de-stressing. The whole place just makes you feel calmer, too. There is a meditation garden with a big Buddha statue and pools of water. There is a fire pit. The grounds are landscaped beautifully, and the rooms are stunning. I wish I could live there. But now my house is fixed and I'll just stop by to visit.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, 23 September 2012
You are welcome to come sit in our Meditation Garden any time when you need to de-stress! We once had an author stay with us for 4 days and write her book while sitting on the bench in the Meditation Garden! Thank you so much for the review!
Great Bookham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We stayed there for 4 nights and it was absolutely perfect. After the hustle and bustle of downtown San Fransisco we wanted somewhere quiet and relaxing to unwind for a few days before heading home. What a perfect choice this was. Of course Carmel itself is a beautiful place but to find such a treasure as Tradewinds was a real bonus. Having stayed in ShangriLa Hotels across Asia we thought we had walked into their latest addition! The decor and furnishings were beautiful and luxurious and we love the asian feel this place has and it seems to exude a sense or tranquility when you sit down to relax in your room. Many smalll nice touches exist which other reviewers have mentioned so I will skip the details here. The staff were great and very helpful with recommendations on where to go and where to eat. Breakfast was a good buffet mix and anybody who is in desperate need of a cooked breakfast can head to one of the many eateries nearby, but for us the choice was more than satisfactory. It's not easy to find such well maintained and nicely thought out private accommodation like this. This is a real treasure. If we ever get back to this area again we will definitely stay at Tradewinds.

Room Tip: We had a king size room. The seaview rooms are on the higher floors and give a partial view of the s...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
Comparing us to ShangriLa Hotels in Asia made my day! We do try to focus on the details and offer a unique experience. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review.