“Tradewinds- Great place to stay!!!!”
Review of Tradewinds Carmel

Tradewinds Carmel
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Georgia
“Tradewinds- Great place to stay!!!!”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

First, let me say that I am VERY particular about where I stay, especially concerning cleanliness and customer service! Tradewinds is exceptionally clean and comfortable! We are a family of three (my husband and I and 7year old daughter). We loved the central location ( my husband golfed at Pebble Beach and my daughter and I visited the Monterey Bay aquarium and went to Asilomar). We also went to Carmel Valley. Location of this hotel is perfectly centrally located. If you are looking for an ocean view, this may not be the place for you!!! We considered staying in Monterey at the Intercontinental, and are happy we chose to stay in Carmel! After seeing Cannery Row in Monterey, we would not have been happy staying 5 nights there!!! 3 nights tops!
Regarding Tradewinds being "luxury", well, that is a personal call. The beds and linens are very comfortable. They provide robes in the room. The rooms are decorated with a "zen" feel. There is a coffee maker, "cooler" (Fridge that gets to about 45 degrees), glasses, etcetera. The staff is wonderful and accommodating. I would recommend asking for the the top floor as there
can be noise from the floor above. Breakfast is wonderful! It consists of fresh fruit, all natural yogurt and Yoplait yogurt, cottage cheese, cage free hard boiled eggs, bagels, peanut butter, jelly/jam/butter, cinnamon raisin bread and pastries, coffee, tea and orange juice. My daughter especially loved Sweetie the resident Cat! We loved eating at Yafa, Mandaka, and Il Fornaio! I have been in customer service for over 25 years, and would highly recommend Tradewinds!

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor, as rooms above can be noisy.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ameliasmommy
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review! I will tell our housekeepers (all have been with Tradewinds for many years) that you appreciated the cleanliness! That is our top priority. I agree that I would much prefer to stay in Carmel (which is really the hub of the Monterey Peninsula). We love our location, too, since we are on a quiet residential street but within walking distance to all of the shops and restaurants. I am glad that you enjoyed Yafa, Mundaka and Il Fornaio. We are so lucky to have incredible restaurants in Carmel. I am also glad that you liked our breakfast. By the way, Sweetie says hi and please return soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I just returned home from a week long trip up and down the coast- Palm Springs to Santa Cruz- with my fiance and our husky. Our stay at the Tradewinds in Carmel is the definite highlight! The room was the perfect peaceful retreat- gentle spa music playing, an in-room water fountain, fireplace, private balcony, balinese robes, and the most perfect warm lighting. All of these touches made it feel like we were staying in a spa.

The grounds were gorgeous and had a secluded feeling while being just a few blocks from shopping and dining. For us Carmel was the perfect place to unwind and relax because of the beautiful, sandy, dog friendly beach. We must have made at least 4 trips to the beach in our two days just to soak up the views and let our pup romp.

If you love the mellow, zen vibe you get at a spa- then this is the perfect place to stay! The three of us would love to return for a longer stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you! You are such sweet considerate guests. We are so glad that you could appreciate the zen quality of Tradewinds with the special Balinese robes, fountains, music, and serenity. We try hard to offer a "zen" feeling to our guests. We even had an author sit in our Meditation Garden and write a book! She came for one night and stayed a week! We hope that you can return soon to enjoy some relaxation here and at Carmel Beach, one of the most beautiful white sand beaches in the world!
Watkinsville, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Beautiful hotel and amenities, snacks etc. However, it was a hot day and the hotel has no air conditioning or pool. So we had to rely on opening the doors and fans. Nice staff and service and a short hike to the beach.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joanne B
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We love the description "Romantic"! That is our goal. Weather has been crazy lately and some days have been warmer than normal. Hotels in Carmel and Pebble Beach do not have air conditioning because traditionally we haven't needed it, but if these weather patterns persist, we will definitely get it. We have some good fans now for those rare really warm days here.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 March 2014

From the moment my boyfriend and I arrived at Tradewinds, we felt like we were being pampered. I was given a beautiful orchid, there were fresh cookies in the lobby, and chocolate covered strawberries in our room, next to the fireplace. There was a personalized note in the room, which was an amazing touch! The grounds and the hotel are beautiful, with a pacific island style and tranquility. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful in booking reservations and giving recommendations for places to see and visit. The location doesn't get any better and is within walking distance to all the shops, bars and restaurants, and the beach. However, the hotel is still very peaceful and quiet and is tucked away from all the noise of the tourists. We mostly enjoyed the fireplace and the large jet tub in the spa-like bathroom. Tradewinds is definitely our favorite spot in Carmel and we will stay here every time we visit in the future!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you! So good to hear that you appreciated the cookies upon arrival, the orchid sprig for you to keep, the chocolate covered strawberries and note in your room. We hope that you can find time to make us a habit and take the time for yourselves to find relaxation! Remember to always ask for a spa-jetted tub! I will thank my staff for providing you with appreciated service and friendliness. Please return soon! We love guests like you.
Salinas
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Had a wonderful stay at the Tradewinds. Hubby and I were celebrating our anniversary and upon arrival they provided us with a lovely orchid. There were complimentary nuts, pretzels, and little grapefruit gummy candies as well. There were also 2 delicious chocolate covered strawberries (don't know if that's normal or just because it was our anniversary, but it made is feel so special! Thank you! ). They had a cooler (just like a refrigerator except didn't make noise). Which we used our entire trip! They had cookies every afternoon and a continental breakfast every morning (hard boiled eggs, pastries, cereal, bread choices, yogurt, etc. ). Everyone is so helpful and nice there. We came with reservations for dinner but opted to cancel those reservations and go with another restaurant (we didn't want to move the car. Parking can be an issue.). They gave us some wonderful ideas and we were so pleased.

The good news is it's a short walk to Ocean st. Lots of shopping and restaurants in between). Unfortunately, it is on a slight hill. Not bad though.

We stayed in room 19. It was ABSOLUTELY beautiful! Wonderful view of the ocean. Comfy bed, lovely fluffy pillows, wonderfully high thread count sheets and what I am guessing is a feather bed topper on the bed (it was so soft). Didn't use it, but there was a Jacuzzi tub (they said it was for 1 1/2 people? ). Soothing and relaxing outdoor landscaping. Beautifully maintained. I saw one of the ladies from the front office walking around the property picking up lint and bits of tiny paper accidentally dropped. Includes an outdoor fire pit. Loved it! Ended our relaxing getaway by leaving a wish at their Buddha fountain. From the moment we got there, until we left, it was nothing but relaxing and peaceful! Thank you so much for an amazing experience!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tiffsu1
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Oh, please return soon! Maybe an anniversary tradition? We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We describe our beds as "sumptuous" because we do buy high quality linens- Fili D'Oro duvet covers and pillow cases, fine white goose down pillows and comforters and 4 inch high feather beds! I love the crisp white duvet covers because they are so fresh and clean! (no bedspreads or blankets that haven't been washed). Tradewinds Carmel has its own special traditions including giving each guest a fresh orchid sprig, and having chocolate covered strawberries that we make from fine Belgium chocolate daily in your room upon arrival. My favorite tradition is writing your wish or prayer on a bamboo sheath and putting it in the Buddha fountain! We have giant Temple Bamboo in the Meditation Garden and it is a tradition in Asia to do this. I love my staff because they all have a love for hospitality and catering to our guests. They also love Carmel and talking about this amazing place. I will tell them that you appreciated their service. Warmest Regards to you and please return soon!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 March 2014

What a wonderful relaxing treat! From the moment that you walk into your room the understated luxury is apparent. Dark wood with Asian styling, spa like amenities in the bath and luxury linens. The room is a wonderful oasis of calm after the bustle of touristy Carmel. We had a room with a balcony and a partial ocean view. The Hotel has been totally reconditioned and remodeled and won many awards for the tasteful work. The Hotel is an easy walk to the main strip. I would not hesitate to stay here again and again, a welcome change from the overdone options in the area.

Room Tip: The top floor on the west side of the building has the ocean views
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DCZ-6
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
I love your review! Thank you for taking the time to write it. I am glad that you appreciate the "understated luxury". We have made a huge effort to buy the very best for the rooms and amenities, and it makes it all worthwhile when guests like you acknowledge it. We are also trying to be as environmentally conscious as possible. We switched from the Aveda bath products in tiny plastic bottles to our own specially made natural organic bath products in dispensers to save on plastic. Our soaps are hand-made and guests now want to buy them for their home use. We are constantly trying to improve and keep the rooms fresh. I hope that you can return soon! Warmest Regards, from the staff at Tradewinds Carmel
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 18 February 2014

What a pleasant, wonderful place. Excellent, friendly, helpful staff. Beautiful grounds. Our room had a fire place, and lovely Balinese touches.
Lovely continental breakfast.
I'm in the hospitality business, and I'm jealous, these people really have got it right.

Room Tip: Only saw our room, but I'd guess they're all nice.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wayne o
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Your review puts on smile on my face. The most important reviews are from our fellow hoteliers and stating that we have got it right, makes my day. Please return and tell us that you are in the hospitality business. We will offer industry rates. Warm Regards to you and I hope to see you again soon.