“A Unique, Cozy and Peaceful Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Monte Verde Inn

Monte Verde Inn
Ranked #19 of 26 Carmel B&B and Inns
IL
“A Unique, Cozy and Peaceful Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We just recently stayed here in June 2014 and really enjoyed our stay. Ashley was so helpful and personable. Our Queen room (#9) was very small but SO cozy. I loved the tiny deck and the bathroom was very spacious. The location was ideal so although the parking was a bit tight, we just parked and walked everywhere. A breakfast basket came each morning but there were no hard boiled eggs like the video showed. I don't eat the other items offered but hubby enjoyed it all. The room was clean upon arrival and throughout our stay. The housekeepers on site always smiled and made a point to say hello.

The Monte Verde Inn has a beautiful courtyard and I loved how peaceful it was. We would definitely recommend this Bed & Breakfast and would stay there again if we have the opportunity. You can read our full review at: http://newtonstravels.com/1912/

Room Tip: Queen room (#9) was very small but SO cozy. It has a small deck and spacious bathroom. No AC but th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Carmel-Inn-Keepers, General Manager at Monte Verde Inn, responded to this review, 13 September 2014
Dear “A Unique Cozy and Peaceful Stay”

Thank you very much for your lovely review of our hotel, and thank you for your especially nice comments on the front desk employees and housekeeping, it is pleasant to acknowledge a job well done and they all deserve the praise. We hope you will enjoy visiting us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Sadly the last thing I want to deal with on a vacation is an argumentative, innkeeper. We have stayed at many lovely inns in Carmel-by-the-Sea, and this Inn 's rooms are fine, however the innkeeper is rude, loud, and argumentative to both her staff and customers. Whatever you do, do not stay in room MV five. The room is directly in front of the hotel and directly next to the office. The walls are so thin we could hear the innkeeper talking all day. We may not of minded hearing her conversations, however so many of them were in angry tones in dealing with her employees. One day there was a screaming match with foul language thrown back and forth between herself and an employee. We had been working with the other employee for several days and found him to be quite kind, helpful, and considerate. It was very uncomfortable hearing this mean spirited conversation from the innkeeper with what we thought was a very kind individual. Upon checking out, I mentioned very politely that she may want to get herself an office in which to hold her conversations with employees. She replied that this was her office to which I shared our feelings about overhearing her conversations with her employees. She replied she needed to speak with them in such a tone as they were not doing their jobs and customers we're leaving the in due to this. We walked away and said to ourselves, the other staff is not the reason people are leaving this in early. She did not apologize at all. In terms of the rooms themselves, we found them nicely furnished and decorated, however the little details that make a stay comfortable we're missing. It was a coffee pot in the room but no coffee cups. A fireplace with wood but no matches. Breakfast served in a basket at your door which is a nice touch, however they repeatedly served the same rotten fruit. No joke, I seriously think we had the same brown spotted rotten bananas in the basket the whole five days. I finally just threw them out myself to spare anyone else being served them. The continental breakfast in the basket on half of the days consisted of granola bars and yogurt. We eat that every day at home and would've appreciated a more fresh baked approach daily instead of sporadically. Every day we had to ask for maid service. Finally the day before we left I found a note on the bedside table that said we needed to place our "request for service" sign on our door. There was no request for service on our door. Twice after waiting until about 3 o'clock to have our room clean, the king size bed was made with a queen sheet. This only covered the very top of the mattress and allowed for no sheet to be tucked in. We did not dare ask the innkeeper to change them at that time. However it made for an uncomfortable nights rest as we ended up sleeping on the actual bed. That made me very uncomfortable. So after all of this, I was very happy that we had paid a deeply discounted rate however knowing the regular room rate for this hotel. We will never stay here again. There are way too many fabulous inns in Carmel by the sea that are dog friendly and have wonderful, caring, and considerate innkeepers. We truly felt sorry for the staff at this inn for being treated so disrespectfully.

1 Thank Goldensmom03
Dear “Who need’s an argumentative innkeeper”

First, I am writing to say that this review in very true in part and in some a gross misunderstanding. You have repeatedly expressed that it was I the manager that was holding conversations with employees that were loud, angry, and with foul language, but this is not correct. The conversation you overheard was between a guest and the employee on duty. I was actually off several days while you were here, and only came in when my new employee couldn’t handle this situation with the guest. It was the guest whom you heard using profanities, complaining and yelling not about services and conditions of the room, but about the size of the rooms, and yes there was a very heated discussion with that same guest whom purposefully tried to get others involved to get out of a multiple night reservation, that I diffused.

I was called in by my employee, and was in the office for only 35 minutes. We am not proud of the confrontation with that guest, or how that employee felt afterwards, even my reaction to how the employee mislead the guest and misinformed me of what he said to the guest. However, if there was an angry discussion with that employee you overheard in your room and me it was because the employee felt he was not backed by me, after being caught in an outright miss-truth with the guest that we were forced to acknowledge which lead to lost revenue.

I have never and every one of my employees will stand behind the misinformation given in this review about the use of profanities with a guest or an employee. I have never and will never use profanities; I will however admit freely that I can be direct and/or authoritative with an argumentative employee. I held a direct even tenacious meeting the next morning with employees when they were getting started over the complaints even you have mentioned on their work performance and even answered their own questions on the guest comments and co-employee complaints, which you may have heard through the walls.

I did acknowledge your comments that morning, but didn’t apologize because I didn’t wish to create another situation with correcting you, on the fact that I was not there the day before when the confrontation started, but admitted to your comment on the meeting you overheard with the employees that morning. I do not have the luxury of an outside office space, I was not aware that the conversations could be overheard so easily through the stucco walls, I did take your suggestion to heart and have corrected that situation from happening again.

We are very sorry that we were experiencing some learning curves with new employees, including myself, and getting things up to standards with these new summer employees, as evident with the problems with your room. We thank you for your review, many things have been learned, acknowledge and corrected, mostly by myself based on this review. The items you experience with your room and the breakfast were never present when I was on duty because they were not allowed, but during my absence, many guests were upset and unfortunately expressed them to this new employee during my absence
Santa Barbara, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We've stayed here in the past but it's fallen off in quality. We were placed in the Casa de Carmel, across the street. Very tiny and dingy room, old fixtures. No available parking, had to hunt for a place in the neighborhood nearby. Terrible breakfast, poor quality items, poor quality appetizers and wine, much worse than before. Very disappointed at what's happened to this once lovely place. We won't be back.

Room Tip: If you do choose this place, avoid the Casa de Carmel section.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear “Substandard and overpriced”

We were a little taken aback when reading this review. Yes! When you arrived you seemed angry and upset even before you visited our rooms. Your daughter even came back in the office and apologized for your behavior not once but twice during your stay with us. You elected to choose this room at Casa de Carmel, (wither price or availability) we did not place you in this room, which has been completely remodeled and most guest find very charming. Updated tiled bathrooms, hardwood floors, and the furniture is made to look Nantucket nautical with that coastal shabby chic flare.

When you arrived, visibly upset, I (Karen) informed you that you were inside of the cancel policy BUT I said that because of your request to cancel early and our busy summer season that we would make every effort to accommodate your request. I also mentioned that if we were able to re-sell your room for the remaining nights of the stay, we would completely refund your prepaid reservation, even for the night stayed because of your obvious dislike.

Even before you went to the room you requested to cancel nights of your stay, after explaining the hotel policy we said we would try to resell the multiple nights so you would not have any financial obligation or loss. Within 4 hours we were able to resell the room for the full term of your reservation, and not once but twice during your stay (after being asked to leave early again) we resold your room, but upon informing you, each time we were able to resell the room, we were told no, you wish to remain so I/we apologized for the inconvenience to you and the guests requesting your nights.

Yes! We are an older hotel like most in the Carmel by the Sea area that was built in the 1920’s era, but these rooms have been maintained and are larger than most rooms in the Carmel area, however, some do not favor the 2 story motel style design, even though we are in one of the most sought after locations, with close proximity to the beach, shops and restaurants.

As for your complaints about parking we are one of the fortunate hotels that do have some parking, 5 spaces for Casa out of 7 rooms and 7 spaces for Monte Verde out of 10 rooms, so we are very clear on our reservation confirmation about limited parking. There are grand hotels even on this street with $500 - $700 a night rooms that have absolutely no parking. Monte Verde usually has plenty of street availability however you do have to relocate your vehicle every 2 hours between 10 am and 7 pm.

I disavow your comments about our breakfast and our wine and cheese social hour because we provide a healthy continental breakfast of locally grown fruit, yogurt (Regular and Greek) pastry from Paris Bakery, and something to drink, which includes, orange juice, water, extra coffee packs, and sometime extra juice like cranberry or apple when available. This is brought daily to the room in a basket by our employees, the Pastry arrive fresh each Morning from Paris Bakery so you are writing a negative review about another company that is unjustified.

As for our wine and cheese social, our products are provided by Flaherty's, Lobster Bisque and New England Clam Chowder, 5th Ave Deli trays of pinwheel sandwiches’, fruit & cheese plate, quiche and crab cakes, along with a meat and cheese tray and signature wines from various local wineries (even a local guitarist). This is more than any hotel in Carmel offers on their social hour. So again you are writing disparaging comments about other companies or business that provide a very valuable service to us and that our guest love.

I believe this review has an ulterior motive that has nothing to do with this hotel or the service that are provided to its guest and may guest have come in commenting on your review with less than favorable opinions because that just don’t agree with you.

We do believe in hospitality and always try our very best to provide the utmost in service, with the steadfast belief in the "golden rule” guest are always right! However, reviews such as this maybe not as credible.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Perfect location in heart of Carmel. Only downside is that parking lot noise/light is somewhat audible/visible in some of the rooms. Karen at front desk was great source of info. We enjoyed the wine and cheese and guitar music in the courtyard before heading out for dinner. Bed was comfortable, shower was forceful. Loved the breakfast basket left by the door in the morning with yogurt, fruit, breakfast bar, and two pastries. Hot coffee at main desk would be a treat, but there are ample coffee houses in Carmel, and you need the exercise anyway--Will stay here again!

Room Tip: Don't take a room right off the parking lot if you have a choice.
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Carmel-Inn-Keepers, General Manager at Monte Verde Inn, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Romance in Carmel:

Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel, the staff really does strive to provide the very best of services and accommodations for our guest, and the breakfast baskets are just one of those unique things about our hotel. We apologize for the parking and noise issue you experienced while staying with us, parking is definitely at a premium in our community and especially when we are full to capacity. But, the noise issue on rooms is something we have tried to correct, being a small almost historical hotel there is little we can do for changing the hotel, but extra layers of sheet rock and double pained windows have been added throughout the years.

I love the suggestion for hot coffee in the lobby, we do provide water for tea, but guest would enjoy coffee as well, I will be added that to our selection, Thank you. Well as my predecessor adopted for the Monte Verde Motto, so do I, "May all who enter as guest, leave as friends", I hope we have accomplished that, and please come visit us again. many new changes are in the works, Casa de Carmel has under gone an upgrade and rooms will be taking on a more nautical look to depict the theme (house by the sea), and Monte Verde is undergoing a Madison park upgrade, so join us again as we grow and expand our services. We look forward to seeing you again.
Parker, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We had numerous issues with this Inn but couldn't beat the location. When we arrived we were offered a choice of rooms. When we went to the one we wanted, the door was open and the room was not cleaned. We were told the rooms wouldn't be cleaned that day so we didn't really have a choice. The room we got was right off of the lobby. The room was small, but quaint, but being off the lobby was not ideal. It did however allow us to hear all the guests coming in and complaining. The lady at the desk was constantly having to explain why something wasn't a certain way for a guest. When the inn closed at night though the room was nice and private - until the early hours when the phone would ring.
Breakfast basket worked well for us since we were up and exploring (hiking and kayaking) each day. We did not get certain things refreshed though (like coffee). But the sherry decanter was nice and full!
We honestly felt like anything we asked or questioned (like when the breakfast basket would arrive, if our room would be get housekeeping that day) was met with frustration by the front desk lady. To be fair, we were given a bottle of wine for our initial room frustration. I don't know if there was something going on with housekeeping, but that seemed to be a major complaint from us and others coming through the lobby (that we heard because of being - well practically IN the lobby). We tried to stay away most of the day, only coming in and out to change or grab something.
Couldn't beat the location. Right off of Ocean Ave and close to both the shops and the beach. The back patio was nice and the music / wine and snacks were a nice touch. It is a pretty location with typically Camel beauty of flowers / vines / bushes.

OH and ladies beware - no blow drier - be sure to bring your own! I thought that was fairly standard in Inns and hotels.

Room Tip: You can't pick your room, even though your registration indicates that you can. Ask for a cotta...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Location is the biggest plus”

Thank you for your candid and very honest review of our hotel, I wish we could have over-come some of our problems and provided you with a more comfortable and rewarding experience. I take accountability for offering you another option on your room without checking with our housekeeping department to see if it was ready. Yes! we were experiencing some problems with our housekeeping department, with all the new upgrades and remodeling we have been striving to complete before the rush of the season we took on some new employees that are still finding their way with us.

I'm sorry you were able to hear complaints from some of our guest with minor missing items (like replenishing coffee services, cups and hair dryers), and coordination of housekeeping schedules. Much like other small hotels, we complete the check-out and arrival rooms first and our guest staying over usually get services in the afternoon, not always ideal, but cost effective. As for the hair dryer we do provide hair dryers in our rooms, for some reason many seemed to have gone home with our guest this week. I wish we were made aware that your room was missing one, as we usually have some behind the front desk.

I will be working with our staff to make sure we inspect and catch missing items before our guest arrive and are inconvenienced. Please accept our heart-felt and very sincere wishes for your return visit (please contact me directly for my personal incentive) so that we may have you experience a more comfortable and memorable stay when the upgrades and refurbishing is complete.

If at all possible we would like you to re-enter as our guest, and allow us the opportunity to have you leave as a friend. I will be looking forward to your call.

Best Wishes

Karen Richardson
general manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Monte Verde Inn on a Thursday night (to avoid the drive up early Friday morning from silicon valley) I had an early am apt. In Monterey. Best idea ever. It was 15 hours of pure peace & quiet. I'll be back for sure!

• Stayed June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Carmel-Inn-Keepers, General Manager at Monte Verde Inn, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear A place to find your peace!

It was a pleasure to read your review and see that your wife and yourself had a wonderful time when visiting us in Carmel by the Sea for your anniversary. We are all very proud of our little town especially when we learn it provides so much joy to others and not just for special occasions.

Thank you for the kind words on housekeeping and the front desk, we need to hear words of encouragement and satisfaction sometimes. it lets them know they are meeting guest satisfaction. Our properties have adopted the motto established by a previous manager that we feel should hold true to every visitor, may all who enter as guest, leave as friends, we hope we have found a true friend in both of you and look forward to your return visit with us.

Karen Richardson manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

My wife and I had chance to stay at this little Inn twice. Every time, there was a different experience. Front Desk staffs were friendly and guided me to my room. They offered us a bottle of wine since I told them I came here to celebrate our anniversary. What a treat!
We received breakfast in room service every morning while we stayed. Housekeepers were friendly but they spoke little English though.
Overall, the room is clean and the bed is comfortable enough for a good night sleep.
Location: 4 blocks away from the beach, 5 minutes walk. The Inn is the center of everything. Very convenient.

Room Tip: Monte Verde Room should be a good upgrade. Choose King room instead of Queen room for a bigger space...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Chris N
Dear Quiet, close walk to beach, perfect:

What can we say but WOW! and thank you very much for your kind words, our staff are very encouraged by such reviews because of course like all hospitality establishments we strive to provide our guest with the best possible service, great value and clean well maintained rooms. With older properties this can be a challenge as well as during peak season where we are rushed to get rooms completed for early check-ins. Letting us know how you enjoyed your stay and if you were disappointed is a valuable tool for us to maintain our consistency and services.

We are in the process of room upgrades and trying new services for guest satisfaction, this is starting to be evident by reviews that we are headed in the right direction. So from all of us at Monte Verde Inn and Casa de Carmel once again Thank you and we hope you will visit us again. Like our previous manager's motto, may all who enter as guest, leave as friends, we wish to see you again.

Karen Richardson Manager