“AWESOME AND SPACIOUS ROOMS WITH BEAUTIFUL GROUNDS”

Quail Lodge & Golf Club
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Carmel
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Just got back from my stay here on August 21, 2014 and I must say, I'm so glad I didn't listen to the last negative reviewers of this place. When I first got there the young lady in the front desk was very nice and attentive. When I got to my room I was so pleasantly surprised of how spacious and new the rooms are. I don't understand why that reviewer said it was an upscale motel, it was far from that. It looks exactly like the pictures. Brand new bathroom with a marble shower and Jacuzzi tub, new flat screen TV and a beautiful patio with a table where me and my husband would sit with a bottle of wine overlooking the beautiful large pond. I did not have a problem with noise as a matter of fact it was very tranquil. My boys 19 and 20 really enjoyed the free mini golf they offer, which kept them busy for hours. In the morning the breakfast we had was excellent with many organic and gluten free breads, fruits yogurts etc. I would definitely recommend staying here and will again if in the area.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed here because it was our friends' wedding reception site and we benefited from the special room rate offered to wedding guests. The special discount rate we paid was fine, but had we had to pay the usual weekend rack rate of $425-plus per night, we would have been sadly disappointed. As other reviewers have stated, the grounds are beautiful, the area serene and tranquil, but we would not describe the room as being "luxurious" and certainly not the equivalent to the Waldorf-Astoria or Ritz-Carlton or Four Seasons. The 2nd floor room we had was spacious but not carpeted which gave the room a rustic feeling. We had a nice view overlooking the swimming pool and we could leave the balcony door open for fresh air. The hotel is eco-conscious in that the shower stall comes equipped with large dispensers of shampoo, conditioner and shower gel (that is, there are no individual 1-oz containers). Two small square bars of soap and a tube of body lotion was on the vanity. Hair dryer, mini-fridge, Keurig coffee/tea maker, iron and ironing board were available in the room. The king bed was comfortable with extra blanket available in the closet. Free wi-fi was satisfactory.

The continental breakfast included gluten-free instant oatmeal, variety of cold cereals, croissants, pastries, variety of breads, homemade preserves, organic seasonal fruits (e.g peaches, grapes) , coffee, upscale tea bags, cocoa, juices (including organic veggie juice), hard-boiled eggs already shelled, pre-made waffles. Plates, cups and utensils were compostable.

We feel as though the hotel wants to be upscale, luxurious, organic and eco-conscious, but we're not sure if this is possible to combine all these facets. Either go upscale and luxurious or go organic and eco-conscious. Our preference would be that the hotel go organic and eco-conscious and charge less than the $425+ per night.

The food served at the wedding was very good: kale and feta salad with choice of roasted marinated chicken with tapenade mashed potatoes or vegetarian risotto.

1  Thank jdc8mbc
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I asked my friend what he thought of this place, and he didn't respond to my question, though he responded to a few other questions at the same time. I should have taken that as a hint. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms are decent and spacious with comforting woodsy furnishings, but that's about the extent of the joy I get here.

Pros: It's walking distance to a cafe I like called Wagon Wheel, and the grounds are wide and lots of good walking to do. It's dog friendly here.

Cons:

Noise - This place is SO DANG NOISY. I am having an extremely difficult time relaxing. First, the cleaning staff cleaned the unit next to us and they were talking extremely loudly and laughing all the time. I think it's fine to talk and laugh, of course, but it was so loud I could hear distinct words from within my room. I didn't feel like I was in a luxury getaway. Then, immediately after that, this was followed with extremely loud tree trimming sounds outside, where tree pieces were being ground into bark. This whole process lasted about an hour to an hour and a half during the morning times between 10 am - 12 pm.

No room service - I'm not against getting my own food but when you pay $300/night, I think you can at least get some room service? Especially when these places don't really have large fridges or cooking surfaces.

Extreme pet rules - They are dog friendly, but they also make you sign this long list of things not to do such as don't let the dogs in the blankets or linens, if you do, there's a $25 fee, etc etc. I would much prefer if they just included this fee into the price of the rooms themselves or charge a higher pet fee. It's not very restful or luxurious when you are told not to do something, rather than having the costs silently added to an already present pet fee.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We split our stay for a family of 5 between here and Carmel Valley Ranch. This is definitely not in the luxury cateogry. Photos looked as if they would be, but in real life the rooms and resort are shabby. In fact, based on expectation, I would have rated below average. They have attempted to update the hotel, but only went half way. The result is that you feel you are staying at a glorified motel as opposed to a luxury resort. Rooms were priced as if they were a luxury resort. I paid more for 2 rooms here than a large 1bdr suite at Carmel Valley Ranch. I would choose the 1Bdr suite at at Carmel Valley Ranch without reservation.

1  Thank threeiron333
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

We had a great stay at Quail Lodge. The rooms were great. Property is very nice. We did not play golf. The course is very nice, it would be a great golf location. Service was very good. It was quiet and relaxing, if you are looking for that, this is the place to stay.
My kids loved it.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank ShoeGirl87
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed for a week Quail Lodge with 2 boys 13 and 16. We had a king suite that was decorated to a very high standard, with a bathroom to die for. The hotel grounds are stunning and very peaceful and the staff could not do enough for us. Even the maids greeted you when you passed. The morning breakfast in the hotel lobby was very, very good with lots of choice and very good quality. If you have ever lived in California, you would know that it is always foggy right on the coastline in the summer. We booked Quail Lodge because it is just inland far enough that you don't get the morning fog. If we didn't live in London, we would be coming here every summer. We were really sad to leave. My brother, who also stayed at the same time, has already booked a long weekend with is partner in September.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed here as part of our road trip up the coast of California from LA to Napa. We picked it since it was close to Big Sur. The hotel is nice - the lobby and rooms were really nice. Very quiet- their restaurant closes at 9pm and there was absolutely no one in sight after 820pm there or the bar (maybe everyone goes to bed early to go golf the next day?). We went across the street at 9pm to the Mexican Cantina and that was great for a casual dinner. I've never been to Carmel before but it was super cold at night and in the morning! (Beginning of August). There was a cold breakfast included (hard boiled eggs, yoghurt, crossaints, bananas, cereal, etc) which was OK. Didn't get to try the pool since the morning was coudy and super cold, and we had to drive out to Napa our final destination. Would recommend it if you are looking for a stop on a road trip like us!