“Drinking wine watching the sheep enjoyable and area is pretty, BUT” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mission Ranch Restaurant

Mission Ranch Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 155 Restaurants in Carmel
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Drinks, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Houston, Texas
“Drinking wine watching the sheep enjoyable and area is pretty, BUT”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We won't be going back for dinner - we both ordered the fish (maybe that was our mistake), and my husband's salmon was not cooked properly The place is actually like a cattle call when it comes to dinner - no reservations - and I guess everyone wants to eat there because of possible Clint sighting, but in my opinion they need to make some improvements. Carmel is a beautiful area and outside dining is enjoyable, but I would expect more than the view.

1 Thank MJLFROG

boston
“Went for drinks and stayed for dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I agree with many posters that the atmosphere is nice. We went for drinks and ended up eating dinner. Food is not great but, good and I would eat there again. We ate outside and had the Prime Rib which is huge. The shrimp scampi and chicken Caesar salad. The odd thing is that I ordered a bottle of wine but pointed to a $16 glass. I thought that was for the bottle. I know - who pays $16 for a bottle of wine in a restaurant like that!? I thought it was super cheap. Well our bill came and the bottle was $67.00. Ouch! Never paid so much in our life and hope to never again. It was our anniversary and we paid it and didn't say anything but, I wish the waiter said something. I clearly pointed to the $16 glass. Other than that service was good but, busy.

Nice overall time for the view and relaxed atmosphere. Much older crowd which I found refreshing. We were one of the only parties in there with a child. No Clint Eastwood and I get the feeling those siting's are rare. Bill came to $190.00. That's for the 3 dishes above, and artichoke appetizer, the wine snafu and a smoothie. Pricey. But nice for a splurge. Would have felt better with a . reasonably priced bottle of wine!

1 Thank 46countries
Missouri City, Texas
“Awesome dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

The atmosphere is perfect, the food was delicious and the service was outstanding! Excellent outdoor seating, great wine and the view is incredible!!!!

Vancouver, Canada
“Prices are up but quality crashes”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We have been visiting this Carmel icon for 10 years and it was always one of our must visit restaurants especially on a sunny evening to enjoy cocktails and then dinner on the patio.

What happened in the past 12 months? The cocktails, atmosphere and view are all top notch but what happened to the food?? The roast chicken with mushroom gravey had the color and consistency of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup and the taste.....well about the same. The pork tenderloin which is always a tricky meat cut to get right was dry and stringy. Ouch....strike two!

The service was fine except in attentive.

Since the main courses were a disappointment we chose to cut our losses and skip dessert.

Now for the prices......for years the restaurant offered outstanding value but suddenly the prices have shot up and the quality crashed. A combination that ensures the loss of loyal clients. $44 for an 8 oz New York steak? No thank you. The Ranch prices now exceed the norm in the Carmel area and as mentioned before the quality is below normal.

My recommendation is to go for a cocktail enjoy the view then head elsewhere for your meal.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Oak Hill, Virginia, USA
“Great food, great service, great view!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We only stayed one night at Clint Eastwood's Mission Ranch but the timing couldn't have been better. With four very busy days in San Francisco and Monterey, we were ready for a change of pace: the Mission Ranch provided a nice relaxing atmosphere, with sheep grazing in the fields and lovely scenic views.
But the highlight of our time there was dinner at the Mission Ranch Inn. My shrimp cocktail was over the top good: huge, and I mean-huge shrimp were served that was not overcooked! I ordered the salmon for my main meal and that wasn't overcooked either. Both were delicious! My husband ordered the scallops and these were huge as well, and cooked perfectly!
We did not sit near the piano, so we didn't find it as noisy as some reviewers suggested. It's a big place, and if you don't want the music, or to sit outside, request the dining room where the fireplace is. We were very happy there, with a nice romantic ambience. Don't remember the server's name, but he was very attentive to our needs, checked on us often and gave recommendations for wine and food when we asked him.
Alas, we did not see Clint Eastwood (the owner) but we still thought it was special to eat at his restaurant and stay at the ranch. Not to be missed if going to Carmel.

• Visited July 2014