“Good food but poor service only because of one person...”

Allegro Gourmet Pizzeria
Ranked #94 of 159 Restaurants in Carmel
Price range: US$10 - US$17
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Wine Bar
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: ESTABLISHED IN 1988When we opened Allegro Gourmet Pizzeria in the summer of 1988, we did so for selfish reasons. We craved an authentic Italian experience on the Monterey Peninsula.The days of pizzerias with sawdust covered floors on lower Alvarado Street were gone. As the small fishing village known as Monterey slowly disappeared so did its soul.A few small restaurants still had some of that old feeling but they did not have the food our more traveled palates were beginning to expect. Some had, great food and a great feeling, but were too expensive or trendy to be called “local spots”. We needed a place to go to – a little “tucked away” spot to discuss life, enjoy good food, family and friends…. and still be able to pay our bills on time.So in July of 1988 we set out to capture that elusive dream; the soulful pizzeria that exists in every Italian neighborhood. No big deal, just great food, friends and wine. The kind of place that your feet take you to when your mind is not paying attention. And when you get inside, it feels good…like you are home.Allegro is a place where you can satisfy your Italian soul. Simple, healthy, delicious & unpretentious. Welcome to our little part of Italy. We hope you enjoy your stay . Nina & Jeano
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I'm staying in town just for the night and wanted a good sort of Italian sandwich so I went with this place from Yelp..I ordered the eggplant panini and it was delicious!! It came with Rosemary fries( which are t actually fries, more like home fries..think breakfast) ...the only gripe I have about this place is a middle aged man..maybe the owner??? Asking me if I ordered a burger? I said no...he said what do you need the ketchup for? In a kind of weird way...it just rubbed me the wrong way, enough to make me not go back when I'm in town next time...a shame because the food is delicious

Reviewed 6 April 2014

This is a nice enough Italian restaurant conveniently located right across the parking lot from the Carmel Mission Inn. The atmosphere is cozy and they have a good selection of affordable wines on their wine list. I had a "big slice" of one of their specialty pizzas, the chipotle cheesesteak, and it was very tasty. My wife's lasagna bolognese was generously portioned and good, but not great. My kids each had a slice of pepperoni pizza, which they didn't particularly like. One said it was chewy and the other said it had a "metallic" taste. It appeared to have been sitting under a heat lamp rather than reheated in the oven. It seems as if they create the specialty pizza slices to order, while the run-of-the-mill pizzas are made in advance. The service was fine.

I guess my summary would be that we had an enjoyable if not impressive meal at Allegro, and would likely not visit again except for the convenient location.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

It was a quiet night in the restaurant. We sat next to the wood burning fireplace. Service was excellent. Pizza was wonderful: spinach and ricotta.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We wanted to get a pizza and go back to our hotel and enjoy a movie. Did some research and Allegro was rated pretty high and was very close to where we were staying. After I called the young man told us 30 minutes. I like to arrive ahead of time so I get the pizza right after it comes out of the oven. We got the 10 minutes ahead of time and there was our pizza, sitting on the counter in a pizza warmer! We ordered a medium pizza with 3 toppings and a stuffed artichoke($6.75) and our bill was 37 bucks. After paying the young man walked away to get, what I assumed, was our artichoke. He arrived a few minutes later and looked surprised to see us. I reminded him we didn't get the choke. He said "oh yeah", went in the back and handed us a small box. When I asked for extra parmesan cheese he told he it was in the pizza box.
We got back to the room and there was no extra cheese and by now the pizza was cold. Good thing we had a microwave. The artichoke was awful! It was cold, way overcooked and looked like it had been fished out of the garbage can. It tasted funny so we never ate it all.
The pizza was good but the crust tasted as if it could have come from a Pillsbury dough can in the refrigerator section at a grocery store. The toppings were fresh and delicious though so it wasn't all bad. This is why we didn't give this place a POOR rating.
Perhaps it would have been better if we had dined there but personally I will NEVER order take out from here again!

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Atmosphere could be great with staff that were interested in your presence. Fireplace on the side, (kitchen is out of view in back). High tables are not particularly comfortable -- more suited to a drinks bar than a pizza rest.
Pizza arrived COLD -- not warm, but COLD. Restaurant was not crowded (6 other tables) but pizza took ages to arrive. When I asked when we might expect our pizza, I was told in a minute -- it came but as it was cold our server had just forgotten and there was no real back up service despite 3 other staff members.
Some confusion over Pepperoncini versus Pepperoni... we wanted the mild peppers and got the meat... probably an easy mistake but unusual since we asked if "they" were like banana peppers. Service was so so... friendly but not professional or in any way attentive.
Pizza flavor was bland - just nothing special at all.
I would look for other alternatives OR make sure you comment that service in the past has been poor and you want your pizza HOT out of the oven.
Good size choices from 10 - 18" -- This place will do in a pinch, but is not deserving of high accolades.

1  Thank 505sailor