“Best romantic getaway in Carmel!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Forest Lodge

Forest Lodge
PACIFIC GROVE
“Best romantic getaway in Carmel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

My wife and I have stayed at a variety of hotels, inns and B&Bs in Carmel, and I can confidently state that Forest Lodge is our new favorite. We stayed there recently and everything was wonderful. We are locals (in Monterey) but sometimes we like to just escape the house and have a special night out, and Forest Lodge is PERFECT for this.

The very sweet and professional front desk gals got us checked in quickly and efficiently. Our cottage, the Dali Suite, was very comfortable and spacious. The large living room features a GIANT stone fireplace, and we fired that up right away; makes the place nice and cozy, romantic. The whole place has a pleasant mountain lodge feeling, but it's not rustic nor outdated... it is modern and well appointed. The bedroom is cozy, and the bed was very comfortable. Nice, high quality linens and bath towels.

Speaking of the bathroom... it is LARGE. Most hotel bathrooms are small at best, and sometimes cramped. Here, the opposite is true; plenty of room and a large and deep tub/shower as well. There is a small deck off of the bedroom; we didn't use it, but it's there. There are also several common outdoor seating/patio areas just steps out the door, and the grounds are beautifully landscaped and maintained. And peaceful.

Oh, the other awesome thing is the location! Forest Lodge is perfectly situated at the cross streets of Ocean Ave and Junipero Serra, and it is convenient to walk to all the downtown locations from there. It is only 2 minutes to the market, and to all the shops wonderful restaurants on Ocean Ave and nearby streets. We went shopping, had drinks, and then to dinner all within three blocks. Could not be more convenient or relaxing. We will definitely come back to Forest Lodge.

Room Tip: The Dali Suite was awesome and spacious!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
backincarmel, Guest Relations at Forest Lodge, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
What a thorough and detailed review! Thank you for contributing to the TripAdvisor community and helping our future guests. We're so happy you enjoyed the Dali Suite and your time here at the Forest Lodge. If you ever want to try out another room, I'd suggest the Ocean Ave. room. Being that it's not a suite, it's not as spacious but it has a big front window that overlooks the courtyard and a cozy fireplace near the foot of the bed. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

-Maddy and Staff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Some friends and I stayed in the Garden and Ocean suites. Easy walking to great shops, restaurants, and the beach with a wonderful sunset view. Only problem is controlling the temp in the cold seasons. Still, the ocean suite has the ability to block off the two bedrooms and the benefit of space heaters and the garden suite has a gas fireplace.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank GK7
With these old buildings, controlling the temperature can be challenging. We appreciate your understanding and patience. Thanks for choosing to stay with us and we're happy that you enjoyed stay.

Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

My wife and I spent 5 nights at the Forest Lodge and 3 nights at the Lamplighter Inn in late September as part of our Jazz Festival experience. We love Carmel and to stay at such a quaint and whimsical Inn made for a magical holiday that we will never forget. Thanks to Peggy, Melissa, Cindy and Heather for being so thoughful and fun. The cheese and wine get together is something that we look forward to every afternoon. The first class complimenary breakfast, the peaceful grounds, the wine, chairs and firewood you supplied for our beach fire on Carmel Beach...I have to stop this; I want to go back!! 'This is Carmel, and we hope it stays like this forever.' We love you guys (and you too Shadow) and look forward to our return visit. Alan & Rose, Surrey, B.C. The Great White North. P.S. The service ladies are super.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Alan N
backincarmel, Guest Relations at Forest Lodge, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you so much for the kind and thoughtful words. It's always awesome when guests come as strangers and leave as friends. Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope you come back to visit soon.

San Bruno, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed at the Forest Lodge and it was great from beginning to end. It's calm, peaceful, quaint and having your own little cabin in the middle of Carmel it couldn't be any better.
The place has a very personal touch and we just found out that some of the cabins are named after famous people that have stayed there, so they have "The Einstein cabin", "Dali suite" etc.

We even got a bottle of their Lamplighter wine as a gift when attending one of their complimentary wine evenings.
They also bring a basket of breakfast to your doorstep in the morning.
Perfect place!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We're glad you enjoyed your stay. I love sharing the history of the cottages with guests. I feel like it adds to the enchantment of the place. Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to write a review.

La Belle, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

Lamp Lighter Inn was booked, but they had room at their sister ship, Forest Lodge. It looked just as nice online as Lamp Lighter Inn and was "in town" walking distance to shops and resturaurant. We stayed at the Garden Room with our 2 1/2 year old and it could not have been any more perfect! Peggy, one of the owners could not have been any more welcoming with children and pets. If I had my dog, I am not sure who would have liked her more, my 2 1/2 yr old son, me or my dog!!!! Peggy made balloons & played ball with my son daily.... We were only there for 2 nights and it could not have been any more perfect... Wine & cheese to breakie in the mornings down at Lamp Lighter was F.U.N. (fun).... my son could play with the toys and sonny (the house cat) without any worries. The fire pit was lovely and the guest we met were too..... Friendly, Friendly ,Friendly is the name of this place. They could not have made you feel any more welcome.......STAY STAY STAY is what I SAY!!! we will definitely be back....

Room Tip: I am sure any of there rooms would be great.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

This place is adorable. We stayed in the Garrett Loft as the first stop on our honeymoon and we could not have picked a sweeter, more romantic inn in Carmel. Great location that's just far enough away from the crowds but literally a stone's throw from Ocean Avenue. The decor and finishing touches in the bathroom were wonderful. Only reason i can't give it 5 stars, is that the bed was really not very comfortable. It's on the hard but bouncy side. I guess I would say it felt a bit "cheap" compared to the rest of the room. The Garrett Loft is also a good private spot. I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Garrett Loft is romantic and private
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Vacaville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Forest Lodge last week to celebrate our eleven year wedding anniversary. We loved every minute of our stay! Our cottage room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The attention to detail and service were above and beyond. The breakfast basket delivery to our door every morning was great. I'm a pretty big homebody so I'm generally ready to go home at the end of a vacation. I did not want to leave!! We're planning on making this our annual anniversary trip but I'm already planning another trip to take our kids. I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Forest Lodge is a little farther away from the beach and a little more secluded and set back off the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple