“Unbelievable,”

Dining options: Breakfast
Palm Desert, California
“Unbelievable,”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This small restaurant that looks like a thatched roof hut is one of the most popular breakfast places in Carmel. Once you traverse the usual wait be sure to have one of their homemade scones- there is nothing like them in California - enjoy you'll appreciate the recommendation

Visited December 2013
2 Thank laurence S

Pacifica, California
“Average”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My husband and I went to Carmel on a mini getaway on Sunday January 26th. We were starving and the first thing we came across was the Tuck Box. I fell in love with the look of the building. It is an adorable Tudor cottage that reminds me of something out of Disneyland. I ordered the hot oats (7.50) and my husband ordered a cheese omelet (12). I also ordered hot chocolate and my husband ordered an orange juice. I was completely satisfied with my oatmeal although I would not pay 7.50 for it again. My husbands omelet was so small I was not even sure if I could get full off of it. It really was plain eggs and some cheese inside, with no seasoning. Sadly, my husband left feeling hungry even after spending $28 on a breakfast. We had to find him another cafe for him to get his fill. As we walked around we noticed some other places that looked to have better food with better prices. I would recommend this place for a snack with coffee, hot chocolate but not for a meal.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank kristen b
Northern California
“Great breakfast”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We hit Tuck's Monday after Mother's Day and had several outside tables to choose from. We picked a fruit bowl, a side of two scrambled eggs, a bacon omelet with cheddar and two scones with marmalade and olla berry jam. The fruit was nice and fresh. The chef knows how to scramble eggs correctly, nice and light and fluffy, not browned by cooked through. Nice treat. The omelet had crispy bacon in it, and being a two egg omelet meant it was not so thick it had to be over cooked, it was thin, the eggs soft and creamy, but done and a nice balance of cheddar melted inside so nothing overwhelmed. The scones were a round of eight pieces, split and warmed and buttered and the jams were just full of flavor. Our hats are off to the chef. Nice Job!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank UncleDuck
Austin, Texas
“Small space. Average breakfast”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Located in a very unique and quaint "gnome home" that's the subject of many paintings found in the town, this restaurant served just an average breakfast with a "scone" that more resembled cornbread than the dropped scones one would expect.

Visited May 2014
San Francisco, California
“The best place for breakfast in Carmel”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I've been to the Tuck Box several times during my life. The place seems to have been there forever. It is located in one of the few remaining "story-book" cottages built in Carmel during the early years of the 1920's -- the kind of place that made Carmel world-famous. The tiny little dining room where food is served seems to have been taken directly out of some fairy-tale. Somehow, almost miraculously, the place continues to serve excellent breakfasts morning after morning from 7 a.m. to noon, and afternoon teas thereafter until about 2:30 p.m. If you are visiting Carmel, you owe it to yourself and your loved ones to visit this historic little place. Who knows how much longer this kind of charm will last in today's world.

• Visited May 2014