“Would have been 5 star, but the noise...”

Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites
Ranked #2 of 25 Carmel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We live about an hour from Carmel and we take our dog to the dog beach all the time. I always walk past the Lamp Light Inn and it is so charming that I knew I wanted to stay here with my husband and dog. We stayed for 2 nights. The check in was easy and laid back. They put snacks and wine in your room for your arrival. We knew they took pets and we always bring our dogs kennel when we stay in hotels. We were surprised to find out that you cannot leave the dog in the room unattended. They said they would arrange someone to "watch" the dog if we needed to leave her. We didn't even bother we just put her in the car when we went to dinner (the cool weather easily allows for this). They serve breakfast from 8-10am and then happy hour is 5-8. They have awesome fire pits to sit around and it is fun to sit around talk with the other people staying at the Inn. We really wanted to sleep in on Saturday since we had a long work week but they start setting up breakfast at 7:30am and our room was right next to the breakfast station so we heard them setting up breakfast and then everyone coming to eat and all the talking. I would venture to say that most of the rooms have this issue. It is a small place and the rooms basically circle this community area. Since we were up so early we wanted to take an afternoon nap and had a hard time because the cleaning crew where vacuuming the rooms next to ours. Did I mention we could literally hear our neighbors peeing in their toilet??? I just don't understand why they don't put in real windows? The windows are shutters so all noise is heard. The place is really adorable and the breakfast is good + happy hour, they take dogs, it is very clean and the beds are pretty comfy. It is really the noise level that doesn't make it 5 star. If you are going to be up early and come back late then it is a great place to stay!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
backincarmel, Owner at Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for writing a review. I want to apologize for the noise situation. We are a small place and there is quite a bit of activity in our little courtyard. I completely understand your frustration. Unfortunately, there isn't much I can do to remedy this. The windows would certainly be a great start, make perfect sense as well as a easy solution. However, Carmel has so many quirky rules and restrictions it is nearly impossible to change windows out on Historical buildings. I am planning to go to city council in the near future. I will request a site review and plead a case that new double pained windows would be energy efficient as well as great sound barriers. In fact your review may help my case. Wish us luck. Again thanks for taking the time and we hope you come back to Carmel soon.
All the best,
Bobby

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Staff was great and very welcoming ! They even asked if my dog had a blanket with him since it was raining that day. I would defintely stay here again! Location was righ at the center of everything and walking distance to the beach!

• Stayed: April 2014
backincarmel, Guest Relations Manager at Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

We are glad you had a wonderful stay! Thank you for staying with us, and we hope for a return visit in the near future!!

Lamp Lighter Staff

Reviewed 5 April 2014

I have stayed at the Lamplighter several times. It's located just a short walk to the beach. It is also dog friendly, so this is my go-to place when I visit Carmel. The staff is very friendly, breakfast is adequate. I've stayed in the Bluebird room many times when I've needed the extra beds. The Bluebird is located right on the street, and I have had strangers try to enter my room, thinking it is one of the cute shops along Ocean Ave.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with Fido, the Concourse Suite has a fully enclosed, small yard for your dog...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
backincarmel, Owner at Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. Their is no greater compliment than a guest wanting to stay with us again and again. Thanks for your loyalty,

Bobby

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Located perfectly on the main street in Carmel two blocks from the town above and also the beach below, the inn's setting featuring rooms, cottages, and suites and also a garden area containing flowers, trees, other plants, a gazebo, and two fire pits caught the eye of many of the passers-by who would stop to look or take a picture. This garden area along with the variety of rooms made the property unique in a town known for the unusual. The staff from housekeeping to supervisory was top rate. Our room, although the smallest, was clean, well furnished, and comfortable and looked over the previously mentioned garden. The continental breakfast and the late afternoon wine and cheese gatherings were enjoyed here in the gazebo and by the fire pits.

1  Thank Atticus10S
backincarmel, Guest Relations Manager at Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thanks for staying with us and sharing your experience! Our top priority here at the Lamp Lighter Inn is to make sure all of our guests feel at home. Glad you were able to experience all that we have to offer.

Staff

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed in the Sea Otter room at the Lamplighter while enjoying an anniversary weekend. The good: What a lovely place! The room was clean, roomy, and we really enjoyed the woodburning fireplace. The B&B is also located very conveniently within walking distance to most of the downtown Carmel shops and restaurants.
The mildly disappointing: The food, not bad, just not exceptional. Breakfast is basic continental - toast, store bagels, juice, coffee. I think we'd hoped for something a little more upscale given the room prices. The nightly wine & cheese reception is a nice touch (again, basic grocery-store fare), and a great excuse to sit by the patio fire and chat with other guests - everyone is friendly and relaxed. The patio is a cozy, inviting place to just hang out with the resident cat.
Overall, we highly recommend the Lamplighter, and would definitely come back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
backincarmel, Guest Relations at Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2014

We're glad you had a nice stay. We are always open to any suggestions on how to improve breakfast. Being that we don't have a full kitchen, we're limited on options. If you have any ideas, please let us know. We appreciate the recommendation and honest review.

-Maddy and Staff

Reviewed 24 March 2014

When we arrived the very first thing the check in person said was Oh you are tall. I'm not sure you can fit in the shower. It's not good for tall or wide people!! Oh Boy. Yes I'm 6 feet tall and my husband is 6' 2". We rented the Tree Top Room because it shows a small deck that makes you think it can see just a bit of the ocean, which it can't as it's at the back of the room and it can see the hotel next door. Even if you might want to sit on it it was very dirty and not at all welcoming. The room itself is not bad, good bed, nice size except YES the shower is VERY VERY small and VERY short. We really didn't have a choice because that was all that was available. I'm readying Linda M's review and she had a huge bathroom. Sorry it wasn't ours!! The breakfast is just OK and the wine in the afternoon was fine. The best part is you are 2 blocks from the BEAUTIFUL beach and a few blocks from all the great restaurants. So I guess location, location, location. Our bathroom, not so much. So go but don't expect above average.

2  Thank NCJustMe
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We spent Valentine's week in Carmel. We stayed with the Lamp Lighter complex. Out unit was up the hill at Forest Lodge in the Loft. It was a great space. It could sleep 3 but for two, it was great. The main space was extremely roomy. The bathroom was huge. The space for the third was in a cute little lower space. The pictures online show it well. The space was light and bright. I loved it for that. From our deck we even had an ocean view.

We walked every morning. Whether it was a long walk, fast walk or a shorter, slower walk, we ended up at the Lamp Lighter for a more than Continental breakfast. We especially loved the warm hard cooked eggs. The breakfast atmosphere was great, too. The gas fires were always on through the glass to warm us up. There were always other guests to talk with. We had some great conversations.

We loved our unit. We enjoyed our breakfast stops. We highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you can't do hills, stay down at the Lamp Lighter.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda M

Linda,
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience! Yes, the Garrett Loft is quite a cozy room and the bathroom is over- sized in a good way! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope for a return visit in the near future!!