“They make you feel like family...”

Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites
Ranked #2 of 25 Carmel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This review is long over due!! I have stayed here twice more since my first review in 2012 and I can't say enough good things about the Lamp Lighter Inn! I absolutely adore this establishment and feel extremely "at home & welcome" each time I stay.

On my last two visits I stayed in the "Porpoise" room. I can't recommend this room enough. It has it's own private entrance, patio and calming fountain. It's a very comfortable room and extremely private from the rest of the Inn. If you want privacy this is the room for you. As always, my room was immaculate which is my #1 request. In this room you have a separate sitting area with the most comfortable couch I have ever sat on. In fact, so comfortable I accidently fell asleep on it after a nice long bubble bath in the jacuzzi tub. It's a wonderful home away from home and I have always felt safe and secure at this Inn.

Every time I stay here the staff makes me feel like family! Melyssa, Peggy, Heather & Bobbie remember me each and every time I come. Even "Shadow" the cat remembered me and how much she likes to follow me to my room every night after dinner and snuggle at the end of the bed. The staff always has wonderful suggestions on what to do and which restaurants to go to.

I highly enjoyed the wine & cheese hour the last time I visited. Bobbie created a beautiful structure (for lack of a better term) that shelters you near the fire pit. It was extremely comfortable and, as always, the local wine is very good. I enjoyed the new fire pit so much I stayed for several hours each night with all the other guests. No one wanted to leave and we all kept extending our dinner reservations because the wine and conversation was so good. I met so many lovely guests from all over the world.

I'll be back again in 2014! I can't wait!!

Room Tip: The Porpoise room is nice and private.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
backincarmel, Guest Relations at Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2014

What an awesome and thoughtful review! I'll pass on the kind words to the rest of the staff, we're always delighted to hear from happy guests who end up leaving as friends.The Porpoise room is one of my favorites for the same reasons. I love how private it is and the patio area is a perfect spot to relax. It's great that you were able to enjoy some privacy and also make some new friends during wine and cheese hour. We can't wait to have you back. I'm sure Shadow will be looking forward to it :)

Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is THE best place we have ever stayed with our kids, and we travel a lot.

We recently stayed in one of the 2 level Tudor cottages and it was perfect for our family of four. The interior was really nicely appointed, and the beds were incredibly comfortable. There is a complimentary breakfast which was diverse enough for everyone in our family (little chocolate donuts for the kids were a favorite), and there was even a complimentary wine and cheese happy hour that takes place around the two outside gas fire pits. It was fun to meet the other guests who were also enjoying the hospitality. And the grounds, while small, were impeccably clean, relaxing and beautiful. The location also couldn't be better, as it is situated about 3 blocks from the beach and 2 blocks from the Ocean Street stores and restaurants. So you would expect this little gem to be astronomically priced. To the contrary, I believe it is very reasonably priced for what you get. I'd give it 5 stars just for the hotel.

But what REALLY makes it worth another 5 stars is how incredible the staff is at the Lamplighter! Cindy and Peggy were absolutely fantastic with our young kids - so much so that our kids wanted to say goodnight to them and couldn't wait to see them in the morning. They doted on the kids and really made the stay so much fun for the kids. They were also very generous with the little toys they gave the kids. You could see they genuinely loved kids, which is fairly rare in the hospitality world for some reason.

We can't wait to go back and make more memories in Carmel at the Lamplighter.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank billreillysf
backincarmel, Guest Relations at Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

Thank you so much for the awesome review. I'll pass on the kinds words to Peggy and Cindy, they're always excited to hear from happy guests. Sounds like you stayed in our Blue Bird cottage. It's a perfect option for families. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We're glad you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to a return visit.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed here 3 nights in April and loved it. I was in the room right over the breakfast room - the Treetop Room. I was traveling solo so the room was a perfect size. Small bathroom but really comfortable big bed, a little seating area, closet and little heater that looked like a fireplace. Complimentary sherry, treats and a bar fridge came with and a I found the whole place a delight. The fire pits in the middle of courtyard were a great place to eat breakfast, chill out and mingle with other guests. And, it's a short walk to the beach and to great restaurants, shops and art galleries.
As previous guests mentioned, it was a little on the noisy side because of the windows (or I would have given this place 5 stars. But there seemed to be construction or noise coming in from further away that can't be blamed on the inn. If you're looking for dead silence, though, this is definitely not the place.
Wanted to add - any time I went into the office to ask for a recommendation (from where to go or where to eat), the staff was cheerful and friendly and gave fantastic recommendations.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
backincarmel, Guest Relations at Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review, letting us know what aspects of the inn worked for you. We appreciate your understanding about the noise. As you noted, some things are simply out of our control. I'll pass on the complements to the other staff. We take pride in our work and love hearing any positive feedback. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to a return visit.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Found this gem of a bed breakfast through Trip Advisor.
Wonderful!! Attentive helpful staff, nightly wine around the fire Pitt, close to lots of restaurants, shopping, beach and especially the comfortable suite with private patio. What's not to love?

Stayed: November 2013
backincarmel, Guest Relations at Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Thanks for choosing to stay with us and taking a second to write a review. We're glad you had such an enjoyable stay and we hope for a return visit soon.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We live about an hour from Carmel and we take our dog to the dog beach all the time. I always walk past the Lamp Light Inn and it is so charming that I knew I wanted to stay here with my husband and dog. We stayed for 2 nights. The check in was easy and laid back. They put snacks and wine in your room for your arrival. We knew they took pets and we always bring our dogs kennel when we stay in hotels. We were surprised to find out that you cannot leave the dog in the room unattended. They said they would arrange someone to "watch" the dog if we needed to leave her. We didn't even bother we just put her in the car when we went to dinner (the cool weather easily allows for this). They serve breakfast from 8-10am and then happy hour is 5-8. They have awesome fire pits to sit around and it is fun to sit around talk with the other people staying at the Inn. We really wanted to sleep in on Saturday since we had a long work week but they start setting up breakfast at 7:30am and our room was right next to the breakfast station so we heard them setting up breakfast and then everyone coming to eat and all the talking. I would venture to say that most of the rooms have this issue. It is a small place and the rooms basically circle this community area. Since we were up so early we wanted to take an afternoon nap and had a hard time because the cleaning crew where vacuuming the rooms next to ours. Did I mention we could literally hear our neighbors peeing in their toilet??? I just don't understand why they don't put in real windows? The windows are shutters so all noise is heard. The place is really adorable and the breakfast is good + happy hour, they take dogs, it is very clean and the beds are pretty comfy. It is really the noise level that doesn't make it 5 star. If you are going to be up early and come back late then it is a great place to stay!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
backincarmel, Owner at Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for writing a review. I want to apologize for the noise situation. We are a small place and there is quite a bit of activity in our little courtyard. I completely understand your frustration. Unfortunately, there isn't much I can do to remedy this. The windows would certainly be a great start, make perfect sense as well as a easy solution. However, Carmel has so many quirky rules and restrictions it is nearly impossible to change windows out on Historical buildings. I am planning to go to city council in the near future. I will request a site review and plead a case that new double pained windows would be energy efficient as well as great sound barriers. In fact your review may help my case. Wish us luck. Again thanks for taking the time and we hope you come back to Carmel soon.
All the best,
Bobby

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Staff was great and very welcoming ! They even asked if my dog had a blanket with him since it was raining that day. I would defintely stay here again! Location was righ at the center of everything and walking distance to the beach!

• Stayed: April 2014
backincarmel, Guest Relations Manager at Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

We are glad you had a wonderful stay! Thank you for staying with us, and we hope for a return visit in the near future!!

Lamp Lighter Staff

Reviewed 5 April 2014

I have stayed at the Lamplighter several times. It's located just a short walk to the beach. It is also dog friendly, so this is my go-to place when I visit Carmel. The staff is very friendly, breakfast is adequate. I've stayed in the Bluebird room many times when I've needed the extra beds. The Bluebird is located right on the street, and I have had strangers try to enter my room, thinking it is one of the cute shops along Ocean Ave.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with Fido, the Concourse Suite has a fully enclosed, small yard for your dog...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
backincarmel, Owner at Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. Their is no greater compliment than a guest wanting to stay with us again and again. Thanks for your loyalty,

Bobby