“Room 44 was ours and we loved it (except for street views!)”
Review of Homestead Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Homestead Inn
Ranked #24 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We booked this since we've never tried it always staying at the Mission Ranch. Great location, in town, wonderful staff and you get the continental breakfast at the Ranch included. They have a common patio atop with fireplace. Here's the cons:
1. Bed has too high box spring making it bouncy.
2. Replace foam pillows with down or synthetic
3. Advise all guests the patio is for EVERYONE and not simply for selfish occupants of adjacent rooms.
4. Upgrade the room coffee to anything other than Folgers or Maxwell House since we live in the horn of coffee plenty!
5. We believe the Queens are NOT full sized queens since we both have them at home and ours are larger. Also, get fitted sheets!!!!!

We will stay there again but not in 44 since its literally on the sidewalk and street.

Room Tip: 44 if on the street with little privacy.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lckt13

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We found the Inn by accident as we arrived looking for another address. The Inn is owned and operated by the same as Mission Ranch. The breakfast that is included in the room we had to hike about half mile to the Mission Ranch. The atmosphere of the area is intoxicating and so enticing to visit but the breakfast is not for "everybody" as the choice was too simple. When we ate dinner at the Ranch it was wonderful and fresh, but the continental breakfast at the tennis club is a toaster and some cartons of juice. They had instant oatmeal but it would have been nice if other options (even for a charge) would have been available. I don't know why the restaurant isn't open because the rooms are pretty expensive and the breakfast was a crash to the atmosphere created.

Room Tip: Higher floor is definitely more charming as the view is possible. Very clear and the rooms toward t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Traci R
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights while visiting the area. Great location and within walking distance to town and the beach. Clean and quiet room for a peaceful rest. We were given the handicapped room on the ground floor and found it very comfortable and extremely spacious. Complimentary bottled water in room. Off site parking and easy to find parking near inn. Most guests are golfers while visiting pebble beach golf courses. Did not drive over to Mission Ranch for breakfast. We did visit Mission ranch but found the location too far to walk and bothersome to drive to town and then find car park (2hrs limit) each time too cumbersome. Will definitely stay here again on next visit.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I planned a California Vacation for me and my husband this year that allowed us to take our time and truly enjoy the California coastline. After a recommendation by a friend to look into booking the Tickle Pink Inn I just could not get a room. They were totally booked so I searched TA again for the next best thing, or better.

Came across this place and was not disappointed. Or at least not too much.

Location: I love the location of the Inn. It is within walking distance of Ocean Drive with so many unique shopping and restaurants so going on foot was not an issue.

Parking: Parking may be an issue because this is a quaint town that doesn't have the big name hotels/motels so there are no parking lots or garages. Parking is around the Inn which is situated in a Carmel neighborhood.

Room: Note, there is NO elevator here which I was not aware of this when I booked a room on the top floor. With a weeks' worth of clothes packed in large suitcases, it was challenging to go up the narrow and winding stairwell but it's doable. The room was very clean, with what I consider Mission style furniture which consisted of firm but comfortable queen bed, dresser, flat screen, accent table and leather wing back chair, a dark wood slated blinds, and a ceiling fan. The bathroom was large with a stand up shower, gold plumbing fixtures, old fashioned toilet and sink. Very charming. My one complaint, only because I'm from Texas is that there was no air conditioning despite there being two control panels that lead you to believe there is. HA! With cool nights in Carmel it turned out fine.

Price: The price was very reasonable. $180 a night. Note, if you arrive late, you must check coordinate a time that you will arrive so there's a clerk there when you arrive to get you checked in. Otherwise, you will have to drive to the Mission Ranch location. It's quite dark at night and hard to navigate if you're not familiar with the area, which we were not so it took me awhile to get us to the Inn after leaving the Ranch.

All in all, if or when we come back and there's no room at the Mission Ranch, we would come back to the Inn. We enjoyed the rest.

Room Tip: Always call prior to booking so you know what you're getting into so you're not disappointed...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jocelyn W
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We found this Inn by chance when we were looking for a place to stay for the night and what a fine it is. The room was very spacious and very comfortable with lots of light due to all of the windows making it quite pleasant. Easy walking distance to town and you also get quite a nice breakfast with it. When we come back to Carmel we will book this Inn far enough in advance so that we know we will stay in a place that provides comfort at a wonderful price.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank peterballantine
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I thought this was probably the nicest hotel we stayed in on our trip. The room was huge with a lovely fire in the corner that lit at the touch of a button. The decor was lovely, beds comfortable, it was not only faultless is was stylish and comfortable. The staff were helpful. We all loved this place.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LynetteDorset
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Like so many others, my husband and I were shunted to the Homestead Inn after unsuccessfully trying to book a last-minute room at the sister property, the Mission Ranch. Before committing, we read some reviews that led us to believe that we'd be in a rustic place where we wouldn't have an internet connection or a decent television. I arrived expecting to get splinters in my palms if I touched the walls and where I'd be lucky to check email from my phone. So we were surprised to be led to a spacious room that I wouldn't describe as "rustic" at all, where the internet connection was flawless and the TV was up-to-date. The bathroom was huge, with a vanity that swept the length of it (very handy for spreading out all our gear).

The room was spotless, and we loved the folksy character of the inn (e.g., the staff departs at 7:30 and the room key opens the main door). We had planned to stay for one night but ended up booking a second because we felt so comfortable and relaxed. Oddly enough, even though we were there in the high season, we never saw another guest at the inn although I think the inn was actually full. (When we asked for the second night, we were initially told it was fine. Then, later, the desk clerk informed us with great regret that they'd made a mistake and that we'd have to switch rooms. So, to compensate, they moved us to a bigger room with a terrace and charged us the same price we'd paid for the smaller room with no terrace.)

Breakfast (satisfactory but not stupendous) was served at the Mission Ranch, about a mile away. Some other reviewers have complained about this, but we didn't mind at all. It gave us a chance to rubberneck at the Ranch and to see what we'd missed out on. The Ranch was charming and the setting was beautiful, but we agreed that we'd lucked out when it was full up. We preferred the quiet charm and walk-to-town-and-beach location of The Homestead.

The only very minor negative of the Homestead was the necessity of on-street parking. We never had trouble finding a spot but sometimes it was a couple blocks away and required an uphill climb to the inn. We are in decent shape for 60+ and could handle the mini-hike with no problem, but older travelers might find it a bit trying. Some of the parking adjacent to the inn is legal all day but some is restricted to two hours during the day. So our stay at The Homestead did require a little bit of juggling with the car. (My husband actually lost it at one point but I knew where it was all along, which is a decent argument in favor of marriage ... the ol' two-heads-are-better-than-one theory.) So the parking was a minor inconvenience for us but perhaps a bigger problem for those with mobility challenges. (There is a check-in spot right in front of the hotel and maybe it doubles as handicapped parking. Not sure about that.)

Overall, we LOVED this place and will go out of our way to stay here again. TIP: For a beautiful and easy walk from the Homestead Inn, head down the hill to the ocean. Don't turn right (towards the small but bustling, touristy town) but instead take a left on the path that goes along the ocean. There are beautiful ocean views on one side and lovely homes on the other. It's much nicer to walk along this path than it is to take the overpriced 17-mile drive nearby.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple