“Amazing surprise!”

Price range: US$7 - US$30
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: If you like being nestled among towering pines while enjoying Carmel ocean views and spectacular sunsets, or dining at romantic tables in cliffside Mediterranean cafes, da Giovanni is your place. Firok Shield and his restaurant family operate this Carmel restaurant with careful attention to detail and a love of hospitality, offering a fusion of recipes handed down from his grandmother, such as Insalata Greca or Osso Buco. It's no wonder da Giovanni is one of the most highly recommended.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Amazing surprise!”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We ended up at Da Giovanni following the recommendation of the owner of our hotel. It is located in the second floor of a building which gives you nice views on the trees and the horizon. There is a nice ambience,with good soft music but most important, the food was amazing, specially the meat balls they have off the menu. They set the bar for the future! Everything was so good that we made the effort to make space for the desert and the tiramisu was worthy! The service was very kind and friendly. We follow all their recommendation and we werent dissapointed. I read that other reviews claimed they were too slow but in our case, we went for dinner, there were only two tables left and still service was nice...we would repeat if we lived closer!

QuickSilver12, Owner at da Giovanni, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Thanks so much for your wonderful review. Your positive experience at our restaurant means a great deal to us. Safe travels back to Amsterdam!

Laguna Niguel, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We ordered based on recommendations from waitress...”
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

Pleasant atmosphere set upstairs with view of the trees. My husband ordered the osso buco. The flavor was very good, but felt the meat should be falling off the bone. The veal piccata was very good but
the veal quality was average. I think it should of been pounded to tenderize it before cooking. The wine was very good and was there own wine label. For most people they probably would think its great. For a foodie It may not meet their expectations.

• Visited August 2013
QuickSilver12, Owner at da Giovanni, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
We are greatly impressed with your review and thank you wholeheartedly for taking the time to write it. We love customers like you! Thank you for noticing what we are doing right! Sending out good thoughts to you over in Amsterdam - hoping you will come see us again when you return to Carmel.
The Villages, Florida
“They need more wait staff”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Stopped in for a glass of wine and a light lunch this week... We were seated almost immediately with menus. Then we waited for more than 10 minutes before I finally flagged down the hostess - asking for service and someone to take our order. We had planned on more, but after waiting that long, figured a bowl of soup with our wine would do....
The soup was delivered with the wine - not before - plunked down without any fan fare... Thankfully, the soup was delicious and hot... but then it was a fight to get the check and get out of there.

This was my first visit and may well be my last as there are other great places to have lunch nearby. I hope they get their act together as it was a mid-week visit - not a weekend.

And a big PS to the staff. An apology would have been in order....or is this the way you treat your honored guests - the tourists who keep your doors open???? I was the tourist, my friend was not.

Folsom, California
“Why haven't we gone before now?”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We've been coming to Carmel for 35 years and had never been here until this July. It is a real treasure. Great food, huge menu, good prices and wonderful service. We had 5 people and everyone LOVED what they ordered. I had prawns with mushroom risotto and I can't imagine it being prepared better anywhere. The house cabernet was wonderful, and the server was one of the best we'd ever had. She knew every detail about the menu and wines and was a real professional. It is casual and the extensive menu has something for everyone - which is why we went in the first place. It was fabulous and this will be one of our regular spots when we return in a few months.

QuickSilver12, Owner at da Giovanni, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
We are very appreciative of your review! We work very hard to create a beautiful experience for our customers. Your note lets us know that we are doing it right! Thank you again.
Los Angeles, California
“Delicious Meals”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Da Giovanni is my favorite restaurant in Carmel. It never disappoints me and always leaves me wanting to go back again and again, even though there are so many restaurants in Carmel, I've found this one to be delicious food, superb quality and dog friendly on the patio, so whether it's a romantic dinner inside, with low lights and a quant surrounding, or outside in shorts or jeans on the patio, with my puppies, I know I'm sure to enjoy the excellent food, service and wine at this restaurant!

• Visited June 2013