“Window heater broken”

Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Millbrae, California
“Window heater broken”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

We were at this hotel from Dec 21-24, 2013. The price was very reasonable, but, they really do a poor job in maintaining the rooms. We were staying in room 301 and the room heater was broken. Instead of blowing hot air, there was only cool air. During the first night we thought the heater just needed time to heat up. After the second night, it became intolerable and we complained to the front desk. At that point the hotel was full and they offered us a portable electrical heater and warm blankets. It was horrible. We came to realize that the broken heater was a problem even before we checked in and that it was schedule to be replaced. If so, they should have taken that room off the market. That week in Carmel was cold so not having heating in the room was a problem. We were glad to checkout after the third night. When asked at checkout how we thought our stay was we explained the unpleasant experience. The only consolation from front desk was "we are sorry to hear that".

Room Tip: Watch for broken window heaters
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 24 December 2013

This is my second review of this property. I was there in the spring and went back in November. I had read some of the reviews on Trip Advisor after my first trip, and was surprised at some of the comments, so wanted to review a second time.

This time I went with a friend and we were both very happy with our experience there. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are really nice and comfortable. Good wifi. Very modern decor, huge glass doors to a balcony, beautiful landscaping throughout. Nice pool (too cold for me in Nov, but some people were swimming.) When we checked in, they offered breakfast coupons for $10, which we bought. This was a bargain! The breakfasts were very good, ordered from the menu with the variety of choices being excellent--things you wouldn't see on ordinary menus (and if you know California prices, you would know $10 is a bargain!) The added advantage to this place is that they are less than 100 yards from the road that takes you to Point Lobos and the Big Sur Coast.

There was one problem while I was there in that my room key didn't work two different times. However, as soon as I reported it to the desk, they had their engineer to my room and worked with it until the problem was fixed. (They had been doing a software upgrade that had a glitch that affected my room but not my friend's room.)

I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Christchurch
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Stayed here for a night on our travels and this is a great place to stay - lovely staff and a hie restaurant - we only had breakfast there but it was great. A little bit out of central Carmel - but a short taxi ride in - Carmel is a very beautiful spot - will worth stopping for

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Piedmont, California
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Continuing a holiday tradition, my husband and I just returned from three lovely nights in Carmel, the Monterey Penninsula and Big Sur. You could spend a lot more to stay in this spectactular part of CA, but why would you? We have stayed in the deluxe resorts of Carmel and Big Sur, and the Carmel Mission Inn provides a wonderful experience at a fraction of the cost. I first stayed here when it was a Holiday Inn in 1973 with my father who took me to CA from New Jersey as a graduation present from high school.
The hotel/motel has been upgraded over the years to a first rate establishment featuring large, clean, comfortable rooms complete with pillowtop mattresses, silky sheets, luxurious toiletries, robes, coffee maker, refrigerator, and every other comfort you would expect from a great hotel. A medium sized heated pool and a large hot tub are well maintained and occupy a pretty landscaped courtyard for morning laps.
The lobby is welcoming and has a gas fireplace along with a large outdoor gas firepit burning according to Carmel air quality standards.
Breakfast is just a delight! You may order anything off the menu for a sumptuous cook to order complimentary meal! The free breakfast includes tea, coffee or hot chocolate and Felicia will make sure you are served in a friendly manner in their sunny, poolside dining room. The package also includes two glasses of wine in the afternoon.
You might decide to stay at home during the holidays, but at these prices, you should consider making the trek to Carmel and rejoice in the splendors of the CA coast. The sea otters will be frolicking out at Point Lobos, the Bixby Bridge and the Lighthouse will be beckoning in Big Sur, the holiday lights of Carmel will add a festive twinkle and the bike trails of Monterey will guide you to tide pools and passing whales.
The Carmel Mission Inn is conviently located across the street from the Rio Grill where you can thoroughly enjoy Happy Hour, stroll back across the street under the stars, and tuck yourselves in for a long winter's nap!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure to request a top floor room facing the pool. These rooms have balconies. You will be treat...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Binkystravel
guestservicecarmel, Guest Relations Manager at Carmel Mission Inn, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Thank you for your review of the Carmel Mission Inn. We truly appreciate your business as a long-term guest of ours. As you pointed out we strive to provide a great value in the Carmel area. It seems that you took advantage of our bed and breakfast package which is an outstanding value and only available on our website or by calling the hotel direct. Thank you for your many kind words and we hope to serve you again in the future. Please remember to contact us direct for the best rates and service.
Paoli, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Nice , newly updated hotel. Modern room. It's not in downtown Carmel , but it's only a 3 min drive to shopping/ dining district. Room was clean, had nice view of pool. Not bad for he price. Adjacent to shopping center with restaurants and grocery store

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Todd W
We thank you for your positive review of the Carmel Mission Inn. Many find our location very convenient to explore all the Monterey Peninsula has to offer. I’m glad that you enjoyed our clean guestrooms and appreciate the value we offer. We hope to be able to serve you again and please remember to contact the hotel direct or visit our website for the best rates and service.
San Jose, California, USA
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here during my birthday. I really liked it. Location is great, next to gas, mall and freeway. Irish pub within walking distance. The lounge was fun with stiff drinks and a live band. Rooms clean and bed.
Staff was so polite and helpful. We were upgraded to a suite. True, it is not in downtown, but it did not really matter because downtown is only few minutes away by car.
Great little gem of a place.
Dogs are aloud on first floor so be prepared for little barking every now and then.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
We are pleased that you enjoyed a relaxing stay at the Carmel Mission Inn. I’m also pleased that you enjoyed our convenient location, clean guestrooms and the personal service that the staff delivered. We truly appreciate your business and welcome the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Please remember to contact the hotel direct or visit our website for the best rates and service.
Beverly Shores, Indiana
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I booked this room last minute, like 7 o'clock on the night of my stay. I read that it wasn't near the water, which was more than fine, and was delighted by the rate I booked and extra special treatment at the front desk, including 2 free drinks and free breakfast from a special deal found at TripAdvisor. Really, a terrific deal all in all. The decor is sort of hip/modern. Right behind the hotel complex is a restaurant/bar/office complex called The Barnyard. Check that out for places to eat and drink (just a few steps out of the back of the hotel). I had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and really enjoyed the crepes with dungeness crab - yum! And terrific service there. My only lament is I checked in on a day of super cold temps and the heater in the room struggled to surpass 69 degrees, so a bit chilly, but not a deal killer. Probably just don't have heaters that normally have to work that hard.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
We are genuinely excited when someone states they had a great stay at the Carmel Mission Inn. We are very proud of our hard-working and dedicated staff and I’m glad they made you feel comfortable. You noted the Barnyard center which is a fun little shopping area adjacent to the hotel. We appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Please remember to contact the hotel direct or visit our website for the best rates and service.