“Excellent Value”

Best Western Carmel's Town House Lodge
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Reviewed 9 May 2009

Great location, reasonably priced, room was small but comfortable and clean

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Best Western Carmel's Town House Lodge

Reviewed 24 April 2009

This property is the definition of value for price paid. The location is ideal - walking distance to everything in Carmel. I would recommend this establishment to any price and value conscious traveler planning to stay in Carmel.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2009

Upon recommendation of friends, my sister and I found this hotel online and then called for reservations. The rates were very reasonable compared to most Carmel hotels, which appealed since we were on a tight budget. To squeeze in a morning bicycle ride on the day of our departure, we asked for and received an extention in our checkout time by the very helpful front desk attendent. The facility is centrally located in Carmel and, while not extravagent, our room (210) was modern and well kept. My one quibble is that I could not get the free internet connection in the room to work.

• Stayed: February 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 5 February 2009

Stopping for one night in Carmel we had no hesitation in choosing the Town House Lodge again (stayed here two years ago). The online reservation and check in went fine. Headed straight for the small heated swimming pool out the back after a day of touring - brilliant. The room we were given on the ground floor had a single queen bed, and this room appeared to have been renovated recently, it was very nice. The continental breakfast was excellent - cerial&milk with bread &toaster also available for us Europeans. A better than average tourist motel - I would recommend.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2009

We stayed at the Best Western Carmel Town House for one night as a stop over on our way from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

Check in was a bit strange the guy at the front desk was a bit vague and not really willing to give up much information. We asked for some information about what was in town and he pointed to the table and said to read the brochures and books.

The room seemed fairly clean and was tidy and looked like it had been recently renovated and had a nice view. (View would have been better but because of the fires was very smoky).

After we settled in we notice our telephone (which was an old style phone) had a red light flashing, in the manual it said there was a message but following the instructions there was no message. The light kept flashing and clicking every time it flashed (which was every few seconds). We went to speak to the guy and the front desk which after really pushing for some help on how to stop it he made a phone call to the “owner” for us, during which he spoke in Indian on the phone, I felt that this was a bit rude because he really didn’t care and was just trying to get rid of us, he said the “owner” would be back in 1/2 hour and to come back then. When we went back in1/2 hour the doors were locked and a sign up on the door saying the office was closed.

The telephone flashing wasn’t that much of an issue we just unplugged it but it was the way it was handled.

Before we had checked out the next morning and we were still in our room with our luggage the cleaning staff came in and started stripping the beds and cleaning the bathroom etc. Check out wasn’t until 11:00am and the time we did check out was around 9:00am.

At check out the supposed “owner” was still nowhere in sight. There was something not quite right with the management and general running of this accommodation.

Besides the lack of management and minor staff issues, the overall appearance and quality of the accommodation was acceptable and did the job it was intended for.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2009

Loved our room!!! It was very nice and very quiet. The location was fabulous as it was almost in the center of Carmel and within walking distance to anyplace you wanted to visit. The only downside was that it was a one night stopover on a Pacific Coast roadtrip. Next time I will stay longer!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2009

Okay.....first off.

disclaimer:

Best Western (town house lodge). im giving it 4 stars, but on the hotel itself ALONE. my main gripe is about the guy at the front desk, who deserves less than 1 star.

I also hope that corporate Best Western reads this review.
__________________________________________________

For a Best Western this place isnt too shabby at ALL. i understand the decor, furniture was recently updated, and looks great btw -- clean and modern, no frilly flower patterns, odd colors, wallpaper or stereotypical 'cheap chain hotel' decor you'd expect.

bottomline, its updated -- as a lot of the past reviews suggest. i give that 4 stars, right away.

the MAIN reason i'm on here however, is because of the service. not the overall service, but the service of the front desk particularly. ONE GUY to be more precise.

i'll be honest, and i dont know if Trip Advisor will let me say this, or accept my review, but flat-out....the front desk guy is a complete moron.

my girlfriend was so annoyed with this guy, she forced me to write a review solely on him. I myself was pushed to the brink to complain (i'm pretty laid back, so if i complain, its BAD), as you will see below.

there's a few reviews that also mention and complain about this exact guy (who remains nameless, but i know its him -- no one is this moronic). not necessarily 'moronic' but just SO SO unhelpful and inconsiderate -- just unwilling to CARE.

It started when we first got there. we walk in, and theres not a person in sight (no big deal, i dont mind waiting a bit).

however, we waited nearly 3-4 mins. which in my book, is quite long for a hotel. it was so bad, one of the hispanic gardners from outside had to come in and get the guy from the back -- him noticing how long we were standing around.

so out walks the guy from this back room.....sloppily dressed....eyes half asleep.....no apology, super thick accent (he was Indian, but that is not the point of this review) no apology, nothing -- fine, again...no big deal......but this is not a great first impression.

so, hes processing my reservation, blah blah.....hes obviously not friendly as i try to make small talk. whatever.

btw, we only statyed for one night for new years eve, so i only have several encounters with this guy to base my complaint on, but thats more than enough, trust me haha.

the second encounter, was new years day. i was dehydrated like crazy, due to the amount of drinking the night before (hey, cmon...it was new years eve). so i walk over to the front office around 930 am, craving for bottled water.

the front desk guy informs me that bottled water is a dollar -- no big deal. i wanted two. I say to him, "i dont have any cash on me, can you just put this on my room tab or my card?"

he simply says "no"

i reply, "oh....do you take debit?"

"no."

i say "you cant just put this on room tab....? are you SURE?"

"no."

"well, is there ANY way i can buy this right now then?"

"no. there is a gas station around the corner from here"

the family next to me, eating breakfast (in the one table 'breakfast room' hahha) glances at me after this small exchange, and gives me the classic look of "yea buddy....i know" hahhahahaha.

so i say to the front desk guy "ok ok, thats fine...i'll walk to the gas station" and then i simply put the bottled water back.

he didnt say anything, just continued to stare back at his computer monitor. yea.....i know what you're thinking. this guys just exuding charisma and friendliness, hahhahaha.

just an hour later, my gf goes upfront to get a rubberband to tie her hair, since she apparently didnt have anything. (btw, at this point i havnt complained to my gf about this guy at ALL...so this is her experience alone, unbiased hahha).

she comes back annoyed, and goes "omg, that guy upfront is such an idiot!.........i asked him if he had a rubberband, and he quickly replied 'no'.........i then asked if he could please look around the office, and he said 'NO' again.........then he told me theres a gas station around the corner!!!!"

hahhaha, can you believe this guy?? and what kind of 'office' or front desk does not have a single rubber band??

so, about an hour later, as we were getting ready to check out, i send my gf back to the front desk to get some change for a twenty -- to tip the cleaning maids.

she comes back clearly annoyed again, and i laugh at her and say "hahha, what now??"

she goes "OMG, im going to kill this guy! he doesnt even have change for a twenty! i asked him if he could break it, and he looks at me and says 'no, i dont have enough change'"

hhahahha

she then goes "i told him are you sure you cant break a twenty? can you please look in the cash register?"

and you guessed it, he says "no, i dont have enough. but there is a gas station around the corner"

she was so mad, she came back and forced me to go to the gas station to get change, hhahahha.

SO...

finally, i go to check out about 30 mins later.

the guys nowhere to be found. i GLADLY ring the service bell on the corner nice and loud.

a full 60 seconds must've passed until this guy slowly trots back out of his room or whatever, sloppily dressed, half asleep, JUST like our first encounter.

i say to the guy "hi, just need to check out"

the only thing he ever says to me during this whole exchange btw is "what room number" and "sign here."

after he found my room, it was so awkward because it was just quiet, and he didnt say a word to me, no small talk, nothing.

he then, right in front of me.......grabs a wooden basket, and puts it OVER the service bell, as to hide it from other customers! HAH!

right in front of me this guy does this!!!!

sighhhhh, anyways.....we finally got out of there and enjoyed the rest of our time in Carmel.

now, like i said in the disclaimer, there is NOTHING wrong with this hotel other than this ONE employee (God hope hes not the manager).

i really would stay here again, but this guy has GOT to go. or at least take some classes in customer service. this guy was just clueless and completely oblivious to our minor minor needs.

thing is folks.......this is CARMEL. this type of service MIGHT be tolerated anywhere else, but you expect more from the town of Carmel, because the locals are SO nice and seem to go out of their way to accomodate tourists, since this IS a touristy city.

in conclusion: im not telling you to stay away from this hotel.....its really rather clean, new, and is in a great location -- within walking distance from everything in Carmel.

BUT please do not expect much help from the check in desk at all. this guy is just TOO lazy and uncaring. which is the exact opposite of my usual experience in Carmel.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank Matt P