“Favorite place to stay”

Carmel Valley Ranch
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The resort is a delight! The rooms are amazing, spacious and so comfortable. The grounds are filled with the heavenly scent of lavender and rosemary. The staff is very friendly and the food is always great.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Pmpb1
MelanieCooke, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you - thank you! We are thrilled that The Ranch is your favorite place to stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again and again. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager

Reviewed 10 July 2014

As other reviewers have said, location is fabulous and the setting is magic. That said, the management of the resort does not seem to pay as much attention to detail as one would expect from a place at this price point.

1. Poison oak. The place is filled with it. Not just the hiking trails - two feet outside of your suit door. My kid stepped off the path and touched a plant - seems harmless, right? After all it is a "well" maintained flower bed just outside of your front door - two feet from it to be exact. We looked at the plant - it sure looks like poison oak. We call the housekeeping and ask them to send an experienced gardener to look at it (hoping it is some exotic harmless plant) - sure enough, after 30 minutes or so, he arrives and confirms that it is poison oak. They removed the plant in front of our door. The suits to the left and two the right had poison oak growing in flower beds too- and they did not bother removing those (they had families with kids staying there at the time too!). They left half a dozen small packages with "poison oak wipes" in our room. That is it. No note, no apology, not even a warning that poison oak is everywhere on the property - astounding for a property that positions itself as kid-friendly destination.

It derailed our trip. Luckily, at least the drugstore in town was open and we could talk to the pharmacist and get the supplies. But really, what an unwelcome experience.

2. Main restaurant. The food is a bit overpriced for the quality, but it is conveniently located. But why are the chairs so filthy? They make your hole in the wall diner feel pristine in comparison.

3. Kids splash zone. The sprinklers are barely working. I have been to the place a few times in the past and they seem to get more and more clogged up with every visit. At this point, they seriously need maintenance.

4  Thank NToronto

Thank you for your review, and firstly, please accept my most heartfelt apologies for your experience with poison oak. Having children myself, I can only imagine how this affected your visit, and I am equally concerned about the follow through around this issue. Please know that I have personally provided your comments to Andy, our Grounds Maintenance Director. Andy and his team are the 'keepers of the land' here at The Ranch, and they lovingly do so 365 days a year. It is important that they are aware of your experience and can take your comments to heart to continually improve. On his behalf, as well as mine, please accept our apologies once again. Please feel free to contact me personally to discuss this further as it is truly on our hearts to make it right. Thank you again, Melanie Cooke, Manager, 831-626-2548

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I’ve reviewed Carmel Valley Ranch before but once again it excels as the most terrific place to stay. Delightful staff , well run and now loads of available activities if you wish to take advantage of them – from Country walks to water classes to horseback riding.

There are 2 pools- one for adults only and one for children. We had a great dinner at the lodge – see photo of our view, and good poolside food as well.

Carmel Valley ranch is also well located for exploring the area. All in all if heaven is a place on earth it could well be located here in Carmel Valley.

Will we go back? You bet!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lordy1

Thank you for your review and for your ongoing support of The Ranch! Return guests are a true testimony that we 'got it right' and I am thrilled to hear that you will be coming back - again and again. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager

Reviewed 8 July 2014

checking in...few people behind us....reception called for back up but still "rushed" us through our check in...I had questions( had never been here before) but was getting quick rushed answers so I aborted.....went to the lodge for dinner...arrived 6:45 place half empty but told first avail wasnt until 8:15pm....so we ate at the bar....tasty but overpriced and tiny portions....brought bowl of soup not cup...and when we left at 8:15pm place still half empty......went to same lodge for breakfast....ordered kids first...basic breakfast...took a long time....one of daughters pancakes were barely warm....ordered adult breakfaxst then...came VERY fast( we didnt complain about kids meals taking a long time).....7 mins after meal arrived we reminded them that one of our items had not come......

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review and for choosing to visit The Ranch. I am so sorry that your time with us however, did not provide the wonderful memories and experience that so many of our guests have enjoyed. And while being 'busy' as you mentioned,can provide challenges, it is certainly no excuse at all for you to not receive a warm, personalized welcome and to enjoy the highest level of service throughout your visit. Clearly, this did not happen during your stay and I sincerely apologize. Should your travels bring you our way again in the future, please contact me personally, as I would love to assist with a future visit and ensure that you are provided a much better memory of the resort. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager, 831-626-2548

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We loved our stay at the Ranch. Our only regret is we had activities elsewhere during the day so didn't get to take better advantage of the hotel's offerings and fitness center. Loved the s'mores and firepit every night in addition to happy hour by the Ranch pool. It was a peaceful and perfect stay. Welcoming to families and canines alike (wish guests would pick up after the latter). The suite rooms were beautiful, comfortable and modern. Grounds are breathtaking.
The food in the dining room was a wonderful surprise--the presentation, quality of ingredients and delicious! The kids' meals weren't dumbed down--a nice combination of healthy and kid-friendly. Everyone was friendly. We never had to wait for a thing. Pampered all the way. Perfect, perfect stay. Yes, it's pricey, but would love to return one day!

1  Thank MelissaR212

Thank you Melissa - we hope to welcome you back someday as well! You are correct - with so many activities and things to do here - a 3 or 4 night stay is the norm for guests visiting The Ranch. We hope to have you back for an extended visit in the future. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager

Reviewed 7 July 2014

When researching where to stay in the Monterey/Carmel area, I was initially uncertain if Carmel Valley Ranch was the best option. It's not in either town. It's not by the water. It's expensive. That being said, I am really glad that we wound up staying at the Ranch.
Firstly, it's a very short ride into downtown Carmel and only marginally farther to downtown Monterey. Secondly, its location away from the water gives the ranch a big benefit over hotels by the ocean...it's sunny in Carmel Valley. The fog bank seems to stop just a couple of miles from the hotel, so while everyone closer to Rt 1 was stuck in grey, we enjoyed sunny skies in the valley. Finally, it became quickly apparent that all the high end hotels in the area are quite expensive. However, we were able to take advantage of a midweek rate that made the Carmel Valley Ranch a really great deal.
When making the initial reservation, I was very pleased with the assistance that I received over the phone. I actually had to talk to somebody in person as I was trying to reserve two adjoining suites. In this day where everything is done on line, getting somebody on the phone can be a chore. The agents for the Ranch were helpful and polite and shared every option with me as to what combination of suites would work best.
Our two suites were at the top of the resort in the Bluff suites section. The suites are beautiful, spacious and very well designed and furnished. At first I was apprehensive about our location over the parking lot, but the suites are situated high up enough that you can really enjoy the view down the valley. When we arrived the kids in our party were thrilled to see big wild turkeys wondering around the suites. I was thrilled to see that the hotel was thoughtful enough to include a bottle of sparkling wine in our refrigerator for my wife's belated birthday.
Carmel Valley Ranch offers a nice selection of different activities to its guests. As other reviews mention, the "Bee Experience" is really unique. Besides getting up close with the bees, I personally took advantage of workout classes and did some very nice hiking up the trails behind the resort. I would have been perfectly happy never to leave the grounds, but it really is quite easy to get into both Carmel and Monterey to do all the typical sights. One of the nicer surprises that we discovered as a result of the resort's location was the pleasure of wine tasting in the nearby village of Carmel Valley. I could have easily spent a full day trying out the local wines and touring the wineries.
Carmel Valley Ranch really is exactly what a northern California resort should be. The design of the buildings, the style of the suites, the beautiful landscaping of the grounds, the relaxed but professional service of the staff all attribute to creating a very attractive and casually elegant resort. I look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you Frank for your wonderful and insightful review. I am delighted you had such a nice visit at the resort. You are correct in that our reservations team sits here on property and have stayed here and played here as we like to tell everyone. I am pleased you noticed that, and that you experienced that personal service all the way through your stay at The Ranch. Thank you again, and we hope to welcome you back soon. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I got to enjoy this resort while my husband attended a conference here. The suite was roomy and offered a spectacular view! I enjoyed a guided hike and spending time poolside. Being by myself for dinner, I chose to eat at the bar. I found their menu limited, but had a delicious salad there. I also enjoyed the s'mores poolside each night. The staff was very accommodating, but my one complaint would be there was too much golf cart traffic on the sidewalks by the staff throughout the day. The resort is a little dated, but I guess you're paying for the location and the views.

Room Tip: Book any spa treatments in advance, they book up quickly
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. Being on nearly 500 acres, you are correct - golf carts are one of the main methods of travel for both guests and staff alike. It is important for us to know that this was intrusive on your visit however, and always a good reminder to have cart etiquette! I was surprised to hear you felt the resort was dated, and would love to know a bit more specifics about that, as we have ongoing upkeep and improvements in motion at all times. Most recently, we have added several new suites featuring indoor / outdoor living with private swings and tub on your balcony. Thank you again for staying with us, and we hope to welcome you back should your travels bring you our way. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, 831-626-2548

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carmel
La Playa Carmel
L'Auberge Carmel
L'Auberge Carmel
#20 of 25 in Carmel
InterContinental The Clement Monterey

Been to Carmel Valley Ranch? Share your experiences!