“outstanding resort with mediocre restaurant”

Carmel Valley Ranch
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Gentofte, Copenhagen, Denmark
“outstanding resort with mediocre restaurant”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This resort was a great experience for our family. Friendly and efficient service by check-in, clean pool, and nice SPA facilities. The golf course has wide fairways and high standard of maintenance. Green fees for juniors and twilight package for adults really attractive. At night the outdoor fireplaces around the pool adds to the great experience. the only drawback is the restaurant. The food from beef to risotto is at best mediocre and the prices high. Winelist is long and good but food has to be dramatically improved. Try instead one of the charming local restaurants down the road towards Carmel.

1 Thank Tage R
MelanieCooke, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Tage - thank you for your review and for taking the time to point out so many of the highlights of the resort. Having said that, I am truly sorry your dining experience did not reflect the same standards as the rest of your visit. We do genuinely appreciate your feedback - as it is how we can continuously improve - so thank you. We hope to welcome you back soon. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
New York
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I have never felt as welcome at any hotel as I felt when we pulled into Carmel Valley Ranch. The staff seemed genuinely happy to see us and made us feel special during our three day stay. We stayed in a hilltop ranch suite which was huge and had a great view. Shortly after arrival, a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine and bath salts were delivered to our room to celebrate our anniversary. Dinner at the Lodge was delicious and the service was excellent. Everything tasted very fresh and it was my favorite meal during my 6 day vacation (which included dinner at Gary Danko's in San Francisco).
My husband and I did the Bee Experience and loved it. We learned so much and it was one of the highlights of our vacation. Also, the grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. The only complaint I have is that, one afternoon, we returned to our suite at 4pm and it was still being cleaned. Other than that, everything was perfect. We felt so relaxed and happy at Carmel Valley Ranch and would definitely return again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. It is truly wonderful to hear how welcomed you felt as this is a key part of our service here. We ARE truly glad you came to stay and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We can not say enough great things about the Carmel Valley Ranch. It was truly amazing, the scenery was beautiful and the staff was so kind and attentive. Our suite was perfect and very spacious, kids loved the fluffy white robes and slippers. Highlight of the trip was the beekeeping adventure, do it, John was great with everyone in our group, including a 4 year old. (No one was stung and he puts all your fears to rest, buy the honey you won't regret it) This is an experience my whole family will never forget. The adult pool and hot tub are stunning, smores the best (go with their gourmet marshmallows yummy), the apples in the lobby, wild deer and turkey a plenty, and the beautiful lavender. Golf cart rides everywhere, my kids loved when the driver took "the Shortcut". Close to Carmel and Monterey, best thing is that there is often a marine layer of clouds over Carmel and Monterey, but in the valley the sun was shining the whole time! Treat yourself!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review Holly - you touched on several special moments over the course of your visit and I appreciate you taking the time to share that. Our staff at The Ranch truly want to offer service that is caring and meaningful and it looks like we did just that during your visit! We hope to welcome you back soon. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
Morgan Hill, California
Reviewed 22 July 2014

A short drive but a million miles away. This is our most favorite place on earth. My husband and I come here to relax and rediscover the simple pleasures of God's glorious natural landscapes. The property is surrounded with beautiful trees, golf greens, and lush green rolling hills. We always take advantage of the salt water pools and hot tub. The spa services are luxurious and catered to meet the needs of anyone seeking refuge. This is a yearly destination for us and we countdown the days and minutes the moment we drive away.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review Veronica and for being one of our repeat guests year over year! Being so close, please think of us as your own 'backyard." It is wonderful to hear how much you appreciate and love our gorgeous setting and we agree and thank you for sharing that. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Great family holiday destination. Rooms were fantastic and the kids camp was such a hit with the kids that they really didn't want to leave. Golf course was good. Local attractions such as Pebble beach (dinner / drinks next to the 18th green...wow) and Point Lobos, are a must see. All in all a wonderful, all be it expensive, holiday, which I would highly recommend.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your review. It is wonderful to hear your kids loved our camps so much they did not want to leave - a true testimony! Thank you again and we hope to welcome you and your family back to the resort soon. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stumbled across Carmel Valley Ranch on a last minute deal and it turned out to be a real find. Although it's not on the coast this place was perfect for Big Sur and Pebble Beach - and not only that it's a wonderful hotel. It wasn't really a room that we stayed in, rather a small house which was obviously fabulous. Even by American standards the room was enormous. If you're the active type then there's tonnes to do - tennis, golf, yoga, etc... If you're not then get eating because this place has a wicked restaurant which also does a mean cocktail! Totally recommended, a proper 5 star country club retreat.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Wow - what a special and meaningful review - and thank you! We also believe this is God's country and are always pleased when our guests notice this. It is truly our pleasure to share this with you and we hope to welcome you back. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
New York, NY
Reviewed 19 July 2014

First of all, I really enjoyed my stay here - my family can't wait to go back. That in and of itself speaks volumes. The resort is really peaceful and makes you feel like you are a million miles away from everything. There are a lot of activities for families with children, but it's also a nice relaxing getaway for couples as well. I felt the food was all very good for a resort, although you are paying resort prices. The pool area for families was a little strange in that it was separate from the rest of the resort. While it easy to get to because the shuttles were always quick to do pick ups and drop offs, it still felt a little cast-off. Also the entire pool area had more of a country club feeling than a high-end resort. For example, nobody was around to serve beverages, etc by the pool. Everything about it was self-service. While the pool wasn't too crowded even on a weekend in the summer, most of the other patrons seemed to be locals who have bought a membership to use the pool and tennis facilities. Nothing in particular was wrong with that, my only point is that the pool area felt a little less like a high-end resort.

One thing to note about the rooms is that many (most?) of the suites have a living room area and a bedroom area. The layout is actually great - bathroom between the two and more spacious than I expected. However, most of those living rooms have skylights in the living room. Kind of a strange choice considering that they must know that many people may choose to have somebody sleep in that living room (the couch is a pull-out bed).

About those missteps. When I realized that the skylights were a problem, I called the front desk and asked about rooms without skylights. My issue is that the person I was speaking to seemed completely uninformed about the most basic questions about the room types (i.e. - referred to a room without a separate living room as a "one bedroom suite"). Then the front desk told me that a two bedroom suite was available and then minutes later somebody else told me that it had never been an option. Then, the front desk also failed to tell housekeeping about an issue that I had wanted fixed. I had to follow up on it myself a couple of times. I will say, that the manager Kevin really went above and beyond to make amends for the errors of the staff, which is why I still had a very enjoyable stay. I just wish that there weren't so many fumbles. I expect a more polished, informed staff from a high-end resort. But as I started out by saying, even these little issues did not stop me from having a great time and we will be back!

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is near the main lodge but still feels remote (doesn't look upon any othe...