“Nice staff but could use some up dating”
Review of Hofsas House Hotel

Hofsas House Hotel
Ranked #21 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Reviewed 3 March 2009

Rooms in Carmel are never real bargains, but for over $100 a night we felt that a little updating could have been done to the bathroom and kitchenette area. The shower head placement was a bit of a challenge for anyone over 5'5", the Dutch doors are nice and let in a breeze, the beds were comfortable, the bathroom was a nice size, and Hofsas House is in nice walking distance to Ocean Ave. with all the shops and many restaurants. It's nice, but could be nicer with a little more updating.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hofsas House Hotel

Reviewed 28 December 2008

Three discoveries made this a memorable stay and the best Christmas ever: 1. There was a full kitchen in our room which we were not expecting and that gave us more options during our stay; 2. The location at the end of San Carlos as it begins to wind up the hill meant more solitude and quiet in the busy village; and 3. I left the cord to my CPAP in our room and it was mailed to me the next day. The ambiance suited us and the staff was excellent. George and Trudi

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2008

we had stayed at another pet friendly hotel in September and saw Hofsas House down the road. They were kind enough to showus several pet ok rooms and we settled on a 4th floor room facing west. Arrived in late November with unusual warm weather.Enjoyed a spectacular sunset and view of moon, Venus and Jupiter tthat evening.
Pluses: the room we had was beautifully appointed, with a dutch door that let us have sunshine without worringaboutdogs wandering. Sunset was spectacular (we faced west) and the next foggy night was also fun to watch.
The little apartment we had was perfect. The kitchen was actually usuable, not the usual microwave thing.Continental b'fast was rolls from a good bakery ,coffee and orange juice. What else do you need?
Minuses: travel to the ice machinetakes the placeof a 15 minute workout on the stair machine
.Crazy people drive down the road outside at far beyond the speed limit
Toilet take foreverto flush (low flow,maybe) and the hot water is extremely slow .Worse, teh showeris slippery asan eel andno mat. Amost broke our necks,each of us.
This is a nice place, run by decent people . It is obvious they ave put time and money into upgrading the property.
We enjoyed outstay,but by the time we paid $200 in the off-season (two dogs added to the tab) we felt a bit overcharged for what we got. Perhaps a mid winter special would fill more rooms. Better to fill at reduced rates and fill
the place than to go empty.

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 19 November 2008

We rented two rooms, went with out of town family, mom, etc. First of all, the walls are THIN. The redneck couple staying above us were up all night. It was an awful night's sleep. They moved us but too little too late. There were also some teenagers on the top floor who were definitely noisy. In short, this place attracts a loud clientele who like to "party".

I would not recommend it unless you are on a tight budget. And if you are on a tight budget imagine the riff raff that stays there. You can request the top floor rooms but keep in mind you will need to walk 3 steep flights of stairs.

Very short walk to downtown and on a pleasant street which is a plus.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2008

I had been to Carmel once 8 years ago and had been charmed by the area, and so had picked this over Monterey. I was looking for a hotel with a large room/suite where I could get some separation from my two teenage sons, but have them close by, and this was one of the few hotels in the area that had a suite that would accommodate my sons in one room and my husband and me in the bedroom.

I had been somewhat surprised that they had charged us for the first night when reserving, but as I was definitely going it did not seem to big a deal. We found the hotel OK, and the room was absolutely what we ordered, the bedroom and sitting room were huge, with two bathrooms, loads of wardrobe space, and with parking just next to the room.

However on reflection I was not thrilled with this hotel. We had a large room with a balcony and fireplace, but the rooms seemed very sparsely furnished, as if everything was done to the minimum level, which meant things were adequate but not comfortable. For example there were the two day beds made up for my sons in the sitting area, but no where else to sit.

When we were in Carmel the weather was very foggy, which apparently is typical even in August. There was no fog in Monterey, or 10 miles further inland, but Carmel was shrouded in cold fog for all of the two days we were there – this is not the hotels fault, but didn’t help. This meant that no one was using the pool as it was too cold, and that we couldn’t see the view from the balcony.

There was also a strange smell in the room, which we decided was an air freshener or carpet deodoriser, but did have a faint whiff of vomit, and which meant we had to keep the windows open to clear the smell. The breakfast also seemed very meagre, with one croissant each and a cup of coffee. This hotel was very expensive ( $550 for two nights ). and I would have expected more. The hotel was also a maze, with the route to reception involving 6 staircases ( up and down ) and a number of balconies.

Usually I love quaint and interesting hotels like this. I try and avoid the chains as I have received excellent service from individually owned hotels. The Hofsas house hotel just didn’t cut it for me, it just all felt a bit drab and was somewhat depressing.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 August 2008

Excellent location for Carmel and the 17 mile drive. Room spacious and clean - just a bit dated. Nice pool. Pathetic breakfast. Thin walls - take your earplugs in case you have noisy neighbours! OK for price paid.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2008

Seems at least once a year I stay at a hotel that has both good and bad reviews on this site and I ignore the bad ones and regret it. This year it's the Hofsa House. We stayed in a second floor room, which was dumpy and plain, but, worst of all, we could hear EVERYTHING from upstairs, including every bathroom sound. The gentleman upstairs relieving his bladder was not the last sound at night and first sound in the morning I wanted to hear in Carmel. After some wrangling, we got moved to a third floor room for our second night. Nice! Spacious and quiet, and even had a kitchen. So that explains the variance in the reviews.
Overall the hotel needs a major updating, although I'm not sure how they'd pull that off. Staff was friendly, pool nice. Breakfast was was just pastries but that was enough for us, and a pot of coffee to carry back to your room, which was nice.

Lesson learned: better than staying cheap in an expensive town, take the same money to a neighboring town and get a lot more. In this case, stay in Monterey and visit Carmel, or poney up more money for a nicer place in Carmel.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple