“Family Fun”
Review of La Playa Carmel

La Playa Carmel
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Reviewed 30 July 2012

As soon as we entered Laplaya it was SOO relaxing just total decompression Everyone was so friendly and helpful. The renovation is great, elegant but not overdone, a very warm comfortable at home feeling.
With a perfect location one block from the beach and only a few blocks from town, nothing seemed too far for whatever you wanted to do. Having not been to Carmel before the Concierge was great in assisting us with planning our stay and meals. The kids enjoyed the pool as well as the oversize chess set in the garden setting. Just tremendous time and would not think twice about staying anywhere but La Playa upon our next visit to the area.

Room Tip: We had two rooms and there were both excellent you will not go wrong no matter where you are placed...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Larry B
There are newer reviews for La Playa Carmel

Reviewed 29 July 2012 via mobile

From the front desk staff to the back of house staff (housekeeping, engineering), everyone was friendly, helpful and professional!

The hotel is beautiful, with a just the right amount of elegance in a place that feels like a home away from home.

You can hear the waves crashing on the beach from your room and the fresh ocean air is addicting. I left my windows open all day and night. The down quilt was perfect for the cooler nighttime tempurature.

Will return as often as possible.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Jkrisle
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I had stayed at the La Playa hotel in the early 1980s on a trip down the coast with my parents. Everything about it then was first class. The staff, rooms, furnishings, food, service were all first rate.
I stayed two other times in the 1990s and found the hotel very pleasant although the room we had off the garden was charming once and dark and damp another time.
We received a promotional rate invitation a month ago in which we were enticed to come to the newly renovated La Playa. Perhaps I should have known something was amiss, when no one could describe the room other than to say they had been renovated. As you'll see, it's not just the cheap renovation that's the problem!
I'll start by saying we received a wonderful welcome from Pandu as we pulled up. From the exterior, the La Playa
Is as beautiful as ever. Lovely flowers flanking a beautiful Mediterranean building. The gardens behind the hotel are still beautiful, the pool still sits majestically in the middle of the gardens and giant sized chess pieces entice for playing an afternoon game.
The check in was seamless- a big bowl of granny smith apples sat on the front counter. We were taken to the only room I was assured on the phone was available- a suite on the top floor. In reality it was one large room with a bed and night stands, a table for four, a sleeper sofa and some comfy chairs. The room has a wicker theme and cushions in calm beiges and celery tones. The carpet is a striped seagrass that makes for a serene room . Similarly, the bathroom had been done over with beige travertine and was done relatively well.
The pros of our room - the view. The view of palm trees and the rooftops and the magnificent Pacific Ocean.
And the room was clean! No question it has just been done over.
But now the cons. This was without a doubt a cheap renovation. The new furniture reeks of cheap. The towels
are cheap and thin. The bath products, while nice, are no more enticing than at a hotel ONE QUARTER the price.
A hotel with a mini bar and NO DRINKS?there was a welcome noted from the manager - nice touch- and three TINY pieces of fruit/ cheap!
The BIGGEST PROBLEM however was the CHAMPAGNE BRUNCH.
We arrived in the breakfast area at 9 am. After being told the hotel was FULL, we noted that there was ONE server who kept going back into the kitchen and bringing out half a dozen baked goodies at a time. The fruit platter was sparse, the cheese and meat breakfast platter had ONE piece of cheese and a few slices of ham. True there were yogurts, warm cereal and juices and coffee and ONE kind of bread to toast. And there was a bottle of champagne as well. There was, to be fair, another person making eggs or omelettes in an adjacent room, but he was clearly overwhelmed and had no idea of who had ordered what and sometimes had three orders going and other times only one order in the frying pan.
Still, it was quite a while that the ONE server brought out supplies- napkins and cutlery on one trip, more fruit on another trip. Finally, two managerial people turned up and started pitching in.
We gave up and left.
So here's what my complaint is. I paid $489. BEFORE tax for the room
and CHAMPAGNE BRUNCH! I was told the room would regularly be in the $650. range. This was WITHOUT a doubt the BIGGEST RIPOFF I have ever experienced. I want my money back. The staff is pleasant but totally unprepared , they lack the professional demeanor of many other places in town and
vicinty. DO NOT STAY at this MAJOR RIPOFF that should be ASHAMED to be charging LONDON or NEW
YORK rates for little better than a two star hotel. I've had better service, rooms and food at hotels a quarter the price all over this country.

• Stayed: July 2012
8  Thank Bigbu
Reviewed 27 July 2012

The La Playa was apparently just renovated and it showed. THe hotel was immaculate, and the grounds were beautiful. We only stayed 2 nights, but it was a perfect escape from SF, and the drive isnt that bad at all.
Its a block or two from the beach and a couple blacks from down town Carmel. Once we go there we walked everywhere, which was so nice. I'd go back again for sure.

Room Tip: We stayed in 313, and it had ocean views and hotel ground views.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sulfurspring
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My girlfriends and I drove up to Carmel to have a fun, quiet getaway from LA, and what a great weekend we had! The hotel is adorable. Very quaint, but with modern updates. The decor was beautiful and the staff was so friendly. My room was a great size with a nice bathroom and had a beautiful ocean view. The continental breakfast is great, with outdoor seating. You can eat your waffles and listen to the waves crashing! The location was great, too. Walking distance to shops, the beach and places to eat. I had a wonderful time at La Playa and would definitely return!

1  Thank Chelsea D
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Service was spectacular and the friendliness was infectious. Well appointed rooms and a beautiful breakfast included! Everythihng has been modernized but the old world feel is still there.I cant wait to get back!

1  Thank ekbub
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I had an ocean view room on the 4th floor of this hotel for a weekend in July. It was heavenly waking up to the sound of the waves crashing on the beach, and the view was gorgeous, too.

This place has an ideal location -- its walking distance into the cute shops in town, and to the beach, which is gorgeous.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, the beds were nice and cozy -- an all-around great hotel! The grounds are beautiful too, with pretty gardens, a swimming pool and an oversized chess board. I'd go back for sure.

4  Thank Lisa I
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carmel
Carmel Mission Inn & Fuse Lounge Cafe
InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Carmel River Inn
Carmel River Inn
#7 of 25 in Carmel

Been to La Playa Carmel? Share your experiences!