“Old world charm in Carmel”
Review of La Playa Carmel

La Playa Carmel
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Reviewed 3 October 2012

They do a good job here at La Playa, and the quiet location off the beaten track is quiet and close to the beach. New furniture and some other recent renovations, make it a solid 4 star property. The pool garden area is simply beautiful ... kind of reminds me of a similar place in South of France. Charming and convenient, a good choice for Carmel and great value compared to some others nearby!

Room Tip: spend the extra bucks to get a pool/ocean view. Sunsets are lovely.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hilly B

Reviewed 3 October 2012

Hotel is well located in Carmel - a few block walk (or short drive) to downtown shops, restaurants. Just a block or two from the beach. quiet and lovely, pretty reception area, but keep in mind that this is an older property. some areas of the hotel are a bit worn, but clearly the hotel is being worked on and improved. our room was quite small and was a challenge with 3 kids. but of course having the pool readily available really counted for a lot. the one missing amenity at this hotel is a hot tub - just seemed odd that in this area, where it could be used year round, and at this level a property, that they would not have one. the breakfast was really high quality, and the staff were very pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank R T
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I recently stayed in a garden view room at the LaPlaya. On the positive side, the gardens are quite lovely, the staff members were very helpful and pleasant. Unfortunately, the room was not air-conditioned. We stayed in September, and it became very warm during the night. I called the desk and they said that I should "open a window". Since we were two women staying alone on a ground floor, it did not seem "safe" to open a window with not even a screen as protection . An intruder could easily have entered. Sleep was difficult. At one point, I found myself thinking, "I'm paying London prices for a motel 6 accommodation!" At this price range one would think that at least air conditioning, safety, and a comfortable (if not luxurious) night's sleep would be forthcoming. Yes, the grounds are lovely.... the room accommodation was disappointing.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
mary c, General Manager at La Playa Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

I was disappointed to hear about the discomfort caused by the temperature in your guest room during your recent stay with us. Due to Carmel’s cooler year-round temperatures, buildings in our area are typically not air conditioned. As you experienced, we did have a heat wave last week with temperatures much higher than normal. I regret any discomfort caused by this weather anomaly, and that your stay did not meet your expectations. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to serve you again should your travels return you to Carmel-by-the-Sea.
Mary Crowe

Reviewed 22 September 2012

After contacting the hotel ahead of time, my wife and I planned to celebrate our anniversary at this "recently renovated, luxury hotel in Carmel". This hotel is anything but luxurious. A sloppy paint job, new carpet and a new bed is hardly an extensive renovation. We travel the world regularly and know from luxury accommodations. From the terrible room that we were initially taken to, this hotel couldn't get it right. There was a bottle of champagne and a note left for us in the first room. After requesting 3 times that the champagne be delivered to us in our changed room, it was never delivered, hence enjoyed. Furthermore, the exterior of the building needs a paint job, the wrought iron is crumbling and the windows in our ocean view room were old and substandard. When we showered, the whole room steamed up and the closet was in the very small bathroom. There were no drawers, very little counter space (much of it taken up by the TV). In addition, we gave the hotel a list of our dissatisfaction to the on site manager, Gennero. He never offered to adjust the bill and only said he would have the hotel General Manager, Mary Crowe, contact us. She never did and it's been 4 weeks.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Steven D
mary c, General Manager at La Playa Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2012

Dear Steven,

I am very disappointed to learn of your experience at La Playa Carmel. Please accept my sincere apology for our lapse in communication. Guest feedback is a priority for us as we continue to tailor the La Playa experience to meet the expectations of our guests. I regret the confusion with delivery of the complimentary champagne we sent to your room in celebration of your anniversary. I hope you will accept our apology and enjoy the wine that we have sent to your home – (cheers!). I understand the recent restoration of our historic hotel will be interpreted uniquely by each guest based on personal preferences, and regret that we did not match your expectations. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to serve you again should your travels return you to Carmel-by-the-Sea.

Reviewed 19 September 2012

We had a small 3 day executive retreat at La Playa this month. It was a great experience! The staff's customer service and attention to detail was outstanding. They even have a free shuttle to take you to and from downtown Carmel and nearby restaurants. Parking and internet are free, which are nice perks, and their complimentary champagne brunch was great each morning. The hotel is a short walk from downtown Carmel and an even shorter walk to the ocean. I can't wait to go back and would recommend La Playa to friends and family without hesitation!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank SDC22
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Just returned from my first visit to this property. When I read about it's recent renovations, I was expecting something exceptional. It wasn't. The staff was friendly and helpful, but for the money the rooms were nothing special. I would describe them as "pleasant". The brunch was adequate, but again, nothing extraordinary. We had a 4th floor room with ocean views, but there was no elevator - a fact that should be noted for anyone having difficulty with steps. There was some construction noise outside, which woke us up a bit sooner than we would have preferred. There are no other amenities, so for the price point, I would check other alternatives next time.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank cre8gale
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Our family visited Carmel and were lucky enough to find rooms at the La Playa hotel!!! We had just stayed at the Four Seasons in San Francisco so I was a little worried having never been there before because of the three star rating. Immediately upon our arrival the staff was warm and welcoming and most helpful. The lobby and adjacent sitting room were beautiful and the loggia with its view of the Pacific was magnificent. Our rooms were perfect! I truly loved every moment that I had in heavenly Carmel and would recommend the La Playa wholeheartedly. The staff was helpful and gracious down to the very last detail. The view from our window was incredible and we were lucky enough to witness a wedding taking place in the garden below our room. Honestly, an unbelievable experience!!!

Room Tip: Have dinner at Clint Eastwood's restaurant-food okay but ambience is a over the top! Try Porta...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family