“45th Wedding Anniversary”
Review of La Playa Carmel

La Playa Carmel
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Carmel
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We celebrated our 45th Wedding Anniversary at the La Playa Hotel in Carmel this past weekend. Alexis, reservation manager, called to verify our arrival and had a wonderful bottle of Sofia Coppolla Sparkling wine waiting in our room. Staff was most helpful on this sold out weekend. Our room looked at the 17th tee at Pebble Beach Golf Links to the north and to Point Lobos to the south. Unfortunately, we had a problem with our shower, but Alexis managed to find us another room with just about the same views. Complimentary champagne brunch started our day of shopping, and with suggestions from the staff, we had a wonderful dinner at Nico. There are bicycles to use - if you feel adventurous, wine tasting at 4 PM, and cookies and milk at 8 PM. Very romantic spot, grounds are lovely to stroll and the hotel is located 2blocks from the beach.YES, we will go back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Watchb4go.com

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We came here for three nights and stayed five! We are a family of two adults and four children, three of whom are teenagers. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds and is an oasis of calm (even with four kids). The pool is lovely and peaceful and the rooms are bright, airy and comfortable, most have a view of the pacific. The welcome from the staff sets this hotel apart. After a long flight and three days in the city, it is so nice to receive a warm welcome. The staff are calm and pleasant and nothing seems a problem. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

A very intimate and quiet hotel. A full service bar, lovely gardens, kids played the giant chess set, nice swimming pool. Situated a short walk down to the beach or up to the quaint shops of Carmel. Located amongst what I gather are the more affluent holiday homes of Carmel.

Only negatives I can report are;
• for a double queen room there was never enough soap or shampoo left in the room. It was as though they were skimping on this, and;
• the towels had a very strong bleach smell when you dried your face or hair. Not really what you'd expect.
• a little too expensive for what you get or anything comparable.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We had a wonderful time in Carmel and loved this hotel. The room was beautiful and the view of the ocean and Pebble Beach are like a postcard. Everything about the place contributed to a wonderful vacation. The concierge, Alexis, did a great job recommending hikes and restaurants. The hotel offers a shuttle to all the restaurants, but everything is so close that we never used it or our car. Brett was also super helpful and very knowledgeable. The covered and heated patio is the perfect place to have your coffee and watch the ocean and the complimentary breakfast is unique and delicious. Love the hotel and the town and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 11 June 2013

As I entered the lobby, no one was in line. That was a relief as I had driven over a hundred miles and thought check-in would be quick with no one else around. However, the reception staff member told me to wait and that someone will be with me shortly. The same staff member tended to some paperwork behind the counter for about 30 seconds then a hotel guest approached asking for help and that same staff member tended to the guest for over 5 minutes. Right afterwards, the staff member asked me for my name. That was odd that the staff member didn't just check me in when I arrived. I didn't care for the robotic way of this receptionist mentioning the hotel amenities and sounded like I was being rushed off because now there were people standing behind me. It took only took about 10 seconds for the receptionist to find my reservation and now I was being rushed. A bell hop walked me to my car and helped me with my luggage. As we were climbing the stairs, I realized there are no elevators in this four level hotel. Arrived to the village room with a queen bed to find it is small. The bathroom room door is in the way of the sink and hides the little window without a screen. Shower in the bath and toilet are small. Closet has a small step that I tripped over a few times. The dresser has only four small drawers, too low to the floor and in the same cabinet as the mini refrigerator that makes a loud buzzing noise so turned that off later that night. The sidewalk right under my window was being power washed and the motor on that machine was way too loud. That continued for over an hour. Later that night around 9pm, hotel guests were slamming their doors so after about an hour and half of that, I got dressed and went down to the front desk to complain. The walls are pretty thin, I could hear people outside my room. Now, it's morning and sounds like there are contractors right outside my window sawing something. I'm not staying for breakfast. Very disappointed and won't be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank criticzee
Mary C, General Manager at La Playa Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear Criticzee,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review after your recent stay at La Playa. I was very sorry to learn of your experience. We endeavor to provide all of our guests with an exceptional experience, and we clearly disappointed you during your stay with us. We have taken extensive noise reduction measures during our recent renovation and will continue to monitor any future areas of concern. Thank you again for bringing these matters to my attention.

Reviewed 8 June 2013

We spent thee lovely nights at La Playa. Our room was comfortable if not huge, with a large airy bathroom. The pool area and gardens are what sold us on the property and we were not disappointed. We took lovely walks around Carmel and had some lovely food. The hotel staff are nice and helpful and the evening driver service is great. We notice some other reviews mention thin walls and noise. we did experience this a little, but it did not detract from the enjoyment of our stay We would definitely return.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paripatetic
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Unique, updated and spacious room overlooking amazing gardens and pool. Excellent and friendly staff. Free shuttle to shops, etc. Terrific, full breakfast buffet each morning overlooking the Pacific. Difficult to imagine a better spot in Carmel. 2 block walk to the beach. Great for reunion with several comfortable gathering places within the hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique so be sure to discuss details with them. Ours had a great, private patio overl...