“Beautiful place”

Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Madisonville, LA
“Beautiful place”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This has always been one of our favorite places for breakfast or cocktails. Hope the new owners keep up the tradition. We'll be checking it out next week. Beautiful courtyard and pool. Rooms comfortable

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank JimR459
Mary C, General Manager at La Playa Carmel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Jim,

We look forward to your visit this week. I hope that I have an opportunity to say hello while you are here, I would appreciate your feedback regarding some of the new amenities we have added. Please let me know what I may do to make your stay memorable.

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We were originally staying for 2 nights but extended to 4. A great hotel with character. The complimentary breakfast is amazing and the staff extremely friendly and helpful. A young man called Jovan is one of the most helpful and friendly hotel staff members we have ever experienced. I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michele176210
Dear Michele,

I am delighted to know that your experience at La Playa was so positive that you decided to extend your stay. Thank you for your kind words for Jovan, we feel very fortunate to have him on our service team. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of assistance.

Philadelphia
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed two nights recently. It is a beautifully charming hotel. The grounds are stunning, the lobby is fantastic and you feel like you are staying at a large estate near the ocean. The location cant be beat. However, this is a hotel built in the early 1920's. It is beautifully restored, and my bathroom was lovely and clean. However, we did splurge for a garden room and the first night of our stay, we had three teenage boys staying above us and their loud footsteps bothered us and ruined our tranquility. I called the front desk and they were very accommodating. After the second call, they did ask them to be aware of other guests. Luckily for us, they checked out the next day. We were offered a room to move to, but we were already in bed when the boys decided to be rowdy.

If noises above your head bother you, I recommend you get a room on the top floor and not a garden room. We loved sitting on our patio, but because there is no air conditioning (it is not really needed) and most of the time everyone's windows are open, you have to take that into account when booking any room on the first floor. The pool rooms are right on the pool deck, so I imagine they would also be noisy during the day if there were kids in the pool.

Room Tip: pick a higher floor
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rrlawgirl
Los Angeles
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed 2 nights in August in the premier ocean view room (paying around $650/night). Check in was easy and staff were kind and helpful. There are no elevators, but staff assist you with your bags. We checked in late and they had delicious homemade chocolate chip cookies and milk out which was nice. The location was great. We could walk to everything in town. The weather was gloomy so sadly we didn't get to use the pool or see the beautiful gardens all lit up in the sunlight. But, yes, the grounds are quite pretty. The breakfast was nice and satisfying, however, outdoor seating is quite limited.

BUT...our room. It was very tiny. The pictures on the website are not realistic. Do not splurge and get an ocean view room. Our view was more of the roof of the restaurant and then in the distance was the ocean (you could hear it a bit at night though). Additionally, there was a pair of underwear on the roof of the restaurant and our window was broken (they came to fix it, but it was still broke. They did credit us $50/night at check out for this). The TV was tiny (yes, we like to watch TV/Netflix and relax while on vacation) and there was no desk area in the room. The hotel is very pretty with gorgeous tile going up the staircases etc....but our bathroom looked like it was straight out of a Holiday Inn (that generic tan colored tile...no charm, no character). I excepted the charm of the lobby to continue into the rooms quite frankly...especially at this price tag.

My thoughts are if you get a great deal on this hotel and maybe get a garden view room or larger room with a patio, then by all means GO! Otherwise, find a cheaper, quaint B&B in town and save your money for great dinners in town.

Room Tip: Do not pay extra for an ocean view room! Go for larger space and maybe a garden view room with a pa...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Mary C, General Manager at La Playa Carmel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Teresa,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at La Playa. Your feedback provides information important to our ongoing improvement efforts.
Thank you for your kind words regarding staff, service and amenities. I apologize for the disappointment you experienced with your guest room and I regret any inconvenience this caused. I am embarrassed by the poor impression that we left with you. Given another opportunity, I am confident that we can provide the service and memorable experience that you should expect at La Playa.
We do have seasonal rates available . Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should your future plans include a visit to Carmel. I would be most happy to personally arrange your reservation. I hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Went to this hotel after a hectic weekend in San fran. It was the perfect retreat. Lovely old school style, with fantastic gardens, a pool and views to the sea. Although we never had a room with a view this did not mar our opinion that it was a great hotel. First and foremost the staff are amazing and do everything to make your stay comfortable from the fantastic breakfast to the complimentary car taking you to the restaurant of your choice each evening. Wine tasting and chocolates delivered to your room were an added bonus!. Even our teenage daughters loved this hotel and didn't want to leave. Carmel by the sea is a lovely quaint town with fantastic restaurants and shops but not for those looking for a late night!!

Room Tip: Absolutely no noise from small residential road show in photo and not close to any bedrooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Linda W
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This beachside hotel was in the perfect spot for a summer vacation. The room was perfect with sounds of the waves day and night. The breakfast was wonderful and the cocktail lounge was intimate and fun.
The beach is only steps away and so is the shopping. We took the complimentary shuttle to dinner which was perfect!
We had dinner as CASANOVA a must in town, recommended by your lovely hotel.
Thanks for a great few days of bliss!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 August 2014

What a disappointment! What is portrayed on the web site is not at all what you get! I was sooooo excited to spend the weekend at this beautiful, grand, fancy hotel (based on website). however, once checked in, my heart dropped when I walked into our tiny, stinky room! I felt like I was at a cheap motel! when I voiced my concerns to the front desk, she said she'd be glad to give us a different room but there would be a rate change!! We already spent a lot of $$$ on this room and I wasn't about to spend more. The room was uncomfortable, small, stinky and loud! The bathroom was not much better. Our romantic weekend get away turned into a huge dissapointment! I would NEVER stay here again nor would I recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Joanna K
Dear Joanna,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments after your recent stay at La Playa. Your feedback provides information important to our ongoing improvement efforts. We endeavor to provide all of our guests with an exceptional experience, and we clearly failed to do so during your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to learn of your disappointment with your guest room and I am embarrassed by the poor impression that we left with you. La Playa has a number of different types and sizes of guest rooms. Given another opportunity, I am confident that we can provide the memorable experience that you should expect at La Playa.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should your future plans include a visit to Carmel. I would be most happy to personally arrange a reservation. I hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back.