All reviews champagne breakfast cookies and milk free shuttle evening wine tasting shuttle service waffle station no elevator beautiful hotel ocean view garden room two blocks breakfast was amazing beautiful grounds the hotel offers luxury hotel rooms are small turn down service
Reviewed 28 August 2018

The good: A wonderful, quiet and idyllic spot to have a drink and delicious small bites. The bad: Very short on bar staff but when you do have someone help you, they are delightful. Do not be in a hurry - with only one person on duty it takes quite a while to be served. The food is EXCELLENT with lots of great choices and very fair prices. A locals favorite.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank Viajera59
Reviewed 19 August 2018

Our overall impression was of not being valued, and of the hotel being "cheap" in its attitude.
We were there for our anniversary and this was a special splurge. I also have just had surgery and we needed a king-size bed. When we made the reservation, I couldn't be guaranteed a king unless I got the more expensive "pool cabana" room (which felt manipulative). This was more money than we have ever spent to stay at a hotel.
The cabana was not as special as I had anticipated - it was a very nice room, no question, but noisy (by the pool, and by a very noisy exit gate, also right above some sort of carpentry shed - altogether there was almost always some annoying noise).
Mostly there was a sense of poor communication among the staff, and of things being done more cheaply than warranted. There was wine tasting, without any cheese or crackers. When our bed was turned down, they left one chocolate (and we recognize the brand - it's a 15 cent chocolate) even though there were two of us. When we checked in, no one mentioned that the champagne breakfast was included with our amenity fees so we completely missed it both days we were there (I've never been to a hotel where they don't tell you at check in what the breakfast is, if it's included).
We did complain while there (the one chocolate seemed the final straw) and they DID make amends, sending us a bottle of champagne. But noone then ever followed up or remembered that we'd had an issue (that's where the poor communication seemed evident). We also made a couple of basic requests at the front desk and they were misunderstood, someone came to our room and interrupted when not wanted, as a misunderstanding of that request...It's too bad because the location is great and the grounds beautiful, but we didn't feel special and the price was really high.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the pool cabana - the noise outweighs the idea of privacy and specialness
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Rachel T, General Manager at La Playa Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2018

Dear Rose-Ranch:

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your concerns about your recent stay. I am embarrassed that we were unable to meet your expectations during your anniversary trip.

Rose-Ranch, I would also like to apologize for the frustration you encountered when reserving the room. Our hotel rooms vary in size and some are unable to accommodate a king size bed comfortably. In order to guarantee a room with a king size bed we recommend that guests reserve a Garden Room or a Pool Casita. I will say that when reviewing reservations, we do our best to accommodate any requests made.

La Playa Carmel was once the home of Angela Ghiradelli, daughter of the famous chocolatier. As our way of honoring the history of our hotel we place Ghiradelli chocolates in the guest room at turndown and offer Ghiradelli chocolate chip cookies in the evening.

Rose-Ranch, I have reached out to you in hopes of personally addressing your concerns.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 17 August 2018 via mobile

This is an absolute gem of a hotel. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly.

The hotel is only 2 or 3 blocks from the beach (they give you beach chairs for free at reception). The bar and restaurant areas are really nice and the complimentary breakfast was of a much higher standard than most of the non-complimentary breakfasts I've had in other Californian hotels.

There was Sangria served at reception from 2pm to 5:30pm, wine tasting from 5:30pm to 6:30pm and they finish off the day with freshly baked chocolate chip cookies and a glass of milk from 7:30 to 9:30 everyday. This was all complimentary, which I found amazing in the land of additional charges!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew B
Rachel T, General Manager at La Playa Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2018

Dear Andrew B:

Thank you for your kind words about our gem! Our staff is committed to providing a memorable experience to all of our guests and I am pleased to see that we have succeeded.

Andrew B, if you find your way back to Carmel please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I would be happy to assist you in making future reservations.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 16 August 2018

My husband and I stopped at La Playa Carmel while we were on our honeymoon, traveling up the California coast. The hotel learned that it was our honeymoon and upgraded our room to an ocean view, and they sent a bottle of bubbles! The entire experience was fantastic (especially the breakfast), and I will definitely be staying there again the next time we make it back to Carmel.

Room Tip: Make sure to have breakfast on the terrace.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank msedelstein
Reviewed 8 August 2018

I am not sure how the La Playa gets away with charging top dollar for only C- amenities and experience. It must be the walking distance to the ocean which is the best thing about this place. I have stayed in many hotels, and even after a supposed "upgrade" a few years ago, the furniture is still dated, it looks unclean, rooms are small, and bathrooms are utilitarian. Staying here makes me feel offended. I laughed where it said self-parking is an amenity that we pay for. Please go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ginger M
Rachel T, General Manager at La Playa Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2018

Dear Ginger M:

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at La Playa Carmel. I am embarrassed that we missed the opportunity to charm you with our beautiful gardens and wonderful champagne brunch that we offer daily.

Ginger M, do know that if you would like to give us another chance you may contact me directly. We look forward to the possibility of changing your mind on our hotel.

Warm Regards,