My boyfriend and I decided to spend our two year anniversary on vacation, but couldn't pick a place until the last minute, leaving us with few choices on where to stay. We settled on Carmel, and thankfully, the Wayside Inn had an available room for us. We called and booked a two night stay in the premium king suite in the French building, with a private balcony, fireplace and a Jacuzzi tub.
The room was on the second floor, very spacious, and included a large bed, two bathrobes, a tv, couch, Jacuzzi tub for two, gas fireplace, keurig coffee maker with tea and coffee, mini fridge with waters, microwave, and an outdoor private balcony. The bed, comforter, and pillows were to die for. We never wanted to get out of bed.
Each day there is tea, coffee, hot cocoa, cookies, and fruit in the lobby area. Also, you are given a breakfast menu with a choice of cheerios, raisin bran, rice krispies, fruit, yogurt, pastries, toast, milk, and orange juice to place outside of your door at night. When you wake up in the morning, your order will be waiting (:
Although our stay here was great, there were a few things that were a little bothersome:
1. The jets that create the jacuzzi effect in the tub for two were SO LOUD. As soon as we turned the bubbles on, we looked at each other in horror and turned them right back off, afraid that we had broken something or awoken the entire hotel. Unfortunately, that was the first and last time we used those.
2. Not the hotel's fault, but our neighbors were even louder than the jacuzzi. The ones downstairs apparently preferred their....romantic activities...loud, while the women in the room next to us talked so loud that it sounded like they were in our room. Once again, this is not at all the hotel's fault. It just made things a little less private.
3. The private balcony was a nice touch, but anyone walking on the street below could see/hear us, so we didn't spend much time out there, although it was nice to let a breeze in on the warmer days.
4. The heater in the room was placed at the bottom of the floor behind some curtains, so it was a little difficult to keep the room warm since the heat wasn't spreading easily.
5. Although the FAQ sheet said there were instructions for the fireplace...there weren't. They just left us a lighter and some wood, so we attempted to light it for 15 minutes until we realized it was probably a gas fireplace. We had to call and ask where the switch was and how to use it. The gas switch was behind a curtain on the wall. Not a big deal, but we felt pretty dumb afterwards.
If you're looking for a nice room, with fairly good amenities, AMAZING location, and a fair price, look no further.
If you're looking for an extremely personal bed & breakfast with hand and foot service and complete privacy, you may want to look just a little more.
Overall pretty good experience and right within walking distance to the beach and shops and tons of food. Would recommend it (:
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the forest just across from Carmel's premier shopping plaza, the Wayside Inn reflects the charm of the quintessential Carmel cottage. Offering 22 guest rooms and suites, special amenities may include spa tubs, full kitchens, fireplaces, and large balconies overlooking the quaint village of Carmel. Complimentary continental breakfast is delivered to your door each morning with the daily newspaper and freshly baked cookies are always available in the lobby. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, Hotel.de and Cancelon so you can book your Wayside Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wayside Hotel Carmel