“Pizza by the Slice”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Carmel, California
“Pizza by the Slice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013

This is our daughter's favorite pizzeria in Carmel. She loves the Cheese Pizza (which she can never finish because the slice is massive). We have enjoyed their made to order pizzas as well. It's an out of the way place that you could easily miss if you blinked, but definitely worth checking out if in the Mid Valley Shopping Center

Visited February 2013

Carmel
“Nice Italian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

Great little spot for mid-valley residents looking for a casual spot with great salads, pasta and pizza. Go as you are...very comfortable spot with outdoor seating.

Visited August 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
“Just ok if you don't feel like cooking dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

My husband and I went here for dinner last night and we're split on how we feel about it. He thought it was fine but not awesome, I thought it was less so. It seems like people especially out in the Valley really like this place (maybe for a lack of choice), but I just don't get it.

We started with the Italian salad which was just ok. THE BAD: average, Costco Italian dressing on romaine, a little too heavily dressed. THE GOOD: a very large portion, easily split by two and probably three people.

Next, we received an order of "garlic bread" which was really cheese bread. THE BAD: WAY too much flavorless, processed, greasy mozzarella cheese on flavorless bread. THE GOOD: marinara had good flavor and the portion was huge- enough for probably five or six people to split.

Next, the pizza. THE BAD: again, flavorless bread drowning in greasy cheese. THE GOOD: a huge portion for a medium and the sauce was good.

Suggestions for the owner: Stop wasting money on oversized portions and spend it on better quality ingredients instead. For example, throw some provolone or romano into the cheese blend to give it some flavor. Come up with a great homemade dressing recipe instead of using pre-bottled junk. I can buy that myself and make a cheap salad at home with it. If I go out, I want something different and delicious. For the garlic bread, buy fresh italian bread from a local bakery every day, spread it with a little homemade garlic butter, toss a handful (not a bucket) of cheese on it, put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes and it'll be amazing- just give enough for 2-3 people, not for 5-6. Work on the crust recipe so that it has some flavor, too. It was just so bland.

I much prefer Pizza My Heart or homemade to this place. On the upside, we were seated quickly, our food came quickly, and the server was super friendly.

One more issue to mention... I couldn't help but notice that the wall next to our little booth was filthy. I tried hard not to look at it and wonder what all of that was- it needs a wipe down badly as did the door/windows covered in handprints. The place just looks a little tired and could use some care and freshening up.

I really appreciate little local places trying to do something good and special so I hate to slam something like this, but it's important for owners and managers to know what people think.

• Visited May 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great pizza and they have gluten-free pizzas too!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stumbled across Iolis' Pizzeria by chance recently and it was a great little restaurant. Our daughter has a wheat intolerance and they have gluten-free pizzas so she was more than happy! It is a tiny restaurant but had loads of atmosphere and is obviously very popular as it was really busy, especially with people picking up take-away orders. Fantastic pizza and the pasta looked great too. Definitely worth checking it out, and not expensive!!

• Visited April 2012
california
“best pizza we've had in the Monterey/Carmel area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

We reluctantly poked our heads in this tiny restaurant other night, unsure whether we wanted to risk trying something new. Boy, were we pleasantly surprised.

Upon entering, we instantly felt welcome. Everyone was friendly -- patrons and staff -- and the smiling, helpful lady behind the bar immediately handed us menus. The place was filled with natural light, very clean. At 6 pm on a Thursday, every seat at the bar was occupied, and there was only one empty table.

The warm, cozy atmosphere made us want to sit down and eat, but we had folks to feed elsewhere, so we ordered pizzas to go. One, the “Queens Deluxe,” had artichokes, sliced tomatoes, onions, and olives. Another, the “Manhattan Veggie,” was topped with mushrooms, green peppers, diced tomatoes, onions, and olives. The third pizza was BBQ chicken. They were ready in 20 minutes, as promised.

Although the place was even more packed when we returned to pick up our order -- patrons were three deep at the bar -- we were instantly handed our pizzas by a smiling, convivial gentleman. Exceptional service.

I loved the veggie pizzas. (I didn’t try the BBQ chicken; others raved about it.) They were not at all greasy. The vegetables were top-quality and fresh. The sauce was nice, and the pizza was not overloaded with it; I tasted fresh garlic in there somewhere. The crust was of medium thickness: not thick, not super thin. And it was splendid: super chewy with a slight crispness to the outer surface, just the right amount of salt in it, good enough to eat on its own.

It‘s not a cheap pizza -- count on $12 per person, without drinks or tip -- but for what you get, it's totally worth it. And it‘s now our favorite in the area.

• Visited June 2011