“Average”

Gar Woods Grill & Pier Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Gar Woods Grill & Pier Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, View
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Front and Center
Transit: All local bus lines drop off and pick up in front of Gar Woods Grill & Pier
Description: Since 1988 Gar Woods Grill & Pier has been the premier North Lake Tahoe waterfront dining destination. Located in Carnelian Bay, our floor to ceiling windows, large deck and balconies provide breath-taking views of Lake Tahoe and the Sierras. Gar Woods Grill & Pier is an upscale casual restaurant that accommodates groups of 160 just as easily as groups of 2. Our Chef has created a menu highlighting California cuisine, hand cut steaks and fresh Pacific seafood, served in our fun in the sun atmosphere. The wine list is a collection of California's best-known vintners featuring more than a dozen wines by the glass. Enjoy Tahoe's warm summer days sitting on our waterfront deck while sipping on a world famous Wet Woody. With nearly two million sold you'll be in good company but come early to get a seat. When visiting during the ski season thaw out in front of our three story tall river rock fireplace with a Warm Woody or a Heavenly bottom. Lake Tahoe sunsets are our specialty.
Reviewed 18 July 2008

Went to Gar Woods for dinner with the family (2 adults 2 kids). The experience was hit and miss. The setting was beautiful, overlooking the lake (we had a table right by the lake). The food was very bland, (two different entree salads and French Onion soup) although the kids liked theirs (burger and chicken).

I had a couple of the "Wet Willie" signature drinks which were great. We waited over 1 hour for our food which would have been very upsetting excpet for the fact that the view (and the drinks) were worth the time. The server was very attentive in spite of the slow food delivery.

Total bill was $100 which was high (but standard for Tahoe). I probably wouldn't go to eat there again but it would be a great place for drinks/happy hour.

1  Thank tripbear
There are newer reviews for Gar Woods Grill & Pier Restaurant

Reviewed 16 July 2008

Are you kidding me that this restaurant was #1 in Tahoe. What have the locals and tourists been eating throughout their lives if the dreadful fare in this place rates as anything above greasy spoon garbage.

My husband and I stopped here after a journey from San Francisco looking for some lunch. We settled on a burger, a garden greens salad and some French Onion Soup thinking we would be safe. I should have noted the teenagers cooking in the kitchen on my way to the bathroom so I would not have been so surprised by the food that arrived. The burger was so huge, flat and gray it could have been a large sponge. The french fries were certainly industrial flour coated things probably from Sysco Company (the Costco of the food service industry). The tomato atop the burger was no more than a pink piece of wood brought up in a toxic hot house.

Now onto the soup - again, had to be canned and was covered with the cheapest, stringiest cheese you can imagine. I felt like my kid had just cooked her first meal for me from her Easy Bake Oven .

Lastly how can anyone ruin field greens? Well they did it at Gar Woods! The salad was like a wet pile of leaves - I was not fooled by the candied walnuts (that recipe can be found in the Kraft cookbook). Bluck!

What a waste of a great spot. Please people, if this is your idea of good food - get out there and travel the world a bit because you are really missing the point.

1  Thank SundaySun
Reviewed 13 May 2008

We went to Gar Woods Grill & Pier Restuarant for happy hour on May 7, 2008. We ordered their famous Wet Woody drinks. The drink is a frozen margarita like slushy conoction of I'm not sure what but it was potent and delicious! This drink wasn't too sweet (just the way I like it) and it had a peach taste to it. They have a two Wet Woody drink limit per customer because of the alcohol content. The drink is usually $9.50 but half-off during happy hour... Good deal! The restuarant is located on the water and has spectacular views of Lake Tahoe.

Reviewed 16 October 2007

We were in Tahoe area the last week of September and made a special trip over to try out Gar Woods. We had looked through all the local publications to see if there were any coupons for us to use. Didn't find coupons, but did see in more than one place that they have Happy Hour at the bar from 4:30 to 6:30 (not real sure of the time right now) where the drinks were discounted and appetizers were half price. We decided that we would just have drinks & appetizer for dinner. Got to Gar Woods and the sign on the door as you enter the bar read the same as everything else we had seen. When the hostess met us I told her what our plans were and she told us that they only did that at certain times. Not sure what she meant by that. Not wanting to drive anywhere else, we just had dinner in the dining room. I ordered a Wet Woody - sort of a daiquiri-type drink, which would have been delicious in the warmer months, my husband had a beer. We shared a crab cake appetizer, which was delicious. My husband ordered the filet, which he thought was just OK. I had a seafood pasta dish, which also was nothing spectacular, but OK. No salad, no wine, water with dinner. The price of the meal with tip was $115. Kind of expensive for what we got. We had a table at the window and it really is a beautiful place.

1  Thank DebInTN
Reviewed 18 June 2007

My wife and I recently visited Gar Woods looking for good atmosphere and a great meal. We found neither. As soon as you entered your ears are assalted by the loud noise of conversation from throughout the restuarant and bar.

We were seated at a table the was directly next to the waiters outdoor exit. Needless to say, the door kept being opened and closed with loud noises.

Both of our meals, Honey Seared Scallops, came out with the scallops only tepid and the vegetable cold. The manager was rather rude but ultimately took both meals off the check.

There are so many other choices of restuarants throughtout the Lake Tahoe area I would suggest you skip this one!

1  Thank BIgDNaples