“Definitely will NEVER stay here again.”

Motel 6 Santa Barbara - Carpinteria North
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Carpinteria
Burbank, California
“Definitely will NEVER stay here again.”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We decided last minute to go to a dog show in Santa Barbara in August, which meant we were limited in places we could stay on short notice with dogs for under $300 a night! We chose this Motel 6 over the other one in Carpinteria because it was about $15 a night less expensive than the one just south. And this one still averaged with taxes and everything to be $100 a night. This one said it had been "recently refreshed". Um, I'd like to know where. The carpet was dirty, it smelled musty. The room was soooo tiny, it was basically the size of a walk in closet with a small bath attached. The only thing that looked recently refreshed was the credenza that 13" television was sitting on and the shower that looked like they had taken it out of a nice motorhome. We stay at Motel 6's a few times a year because they dont charge fees to have the dogs, but this has got to be the worst one we stayed at among all of them in many different states. Now to the other "guests". We arrived on a Thursday and it became clear that this motel 6 is where the state is housing menial workers during the week who are working on the HOV lanes that are being built on the 101. So after work they would just hang out in the parking lot and drink til 2 am....then there were the tweakers loitering in the parking lot as well as 2 prostitutes that made their "office" at this establishment. Over the weekend the workers moved out and lots of dog show people moved in, but many had lots of problems with their rooms including sewage coming up thru their toilets, toilets not working for 8-10 hours and not hearing from the staff as to when they could get fixed. And there is no AC at this place so without doors and windows open it was stifling in the room. The weekend we were there it was only in the low 70s during the day but it was always very warm in the room. We tried turning on the fan in the room to help move the air but when we did it stunk really badly so we turned it off. Since we felt very uncomfortable sleeping with the window open let alone the door due to the problems we saw with many of the clientele, it was very very warm when we were sleeping. We basically just slept on top of the sheet in underwear to sleep without sweating. the mattresses were very cheap and uncomfortable. The only thing i saw at this motel that was decent was their pool. It was sparkling clean. Besides that one redeeming quality, this was an awful place.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank RRCazador

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 16 August 2012

If you just want a place to crash, this place is ok. The beds were comfortable, and I liked the table and chairs. Another nice amenity is that they have laundry machines on site.The room smelled like smoke. Ventilation was poor, and the window barely opens. I had to leave the door open for fresh air. The problem with that, though, was that every guest was smoking outside of their room! The clothes in my suitcase even smelled like smoke after I left. It seemed like the clientele were truckers and low-income families. Don't get a room by the pool. The kids like it and it's loud. You'll need to bring your our toiletries if you stay here. I would also recommend bringing your own towels. The ones that they provide aren't very absorbent. It was annoying to pay $3 for internet per device per day.

Room Tip: Stay away from the pool. Children swim in the morning and are very loud.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stryker32

Travellers are raving about these Carpinteria hotels

La Mirada, California
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Went for the weekend with my two Granddaughters. I had stayed there before when they had just remodeled and it was not too bad. This visit was horrible. The hotel should be shut down.
The bedspread had stains all over it. The floors were dirty and sticky. The beds are the worst. It is just a foam mattress on a wooden platform, which the mattress was so worn, it was like sleeping on the wooden platform. When I did try to sleep, as soon as laid down between the sheets, my legs were itching so bad, I had to to get up and just sleep on top of both sheets since the blankets were dirty. Since we arrived at the hotel at 9p.m., it was not possible to find another room. It was the longest night. This place really needs to be inspected and I will keep trying until I find the right government department to report this place to.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank R A
Lancaster, California
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Lazy Staff - poor service - view of HWY 101, and road noise all night noisy AC worked but run all night. Avoid staying here if at all possible our room was less than 200 Sq. Ft. at a cost of 115.00 plus taxes

Room Tip: Try HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS / BEST WESTERN OR THE MOTEL 6 SOUTH, As for the north they need to close it...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank inspectrdad
San Diego, California
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I like Motel 6, I usually stay in them when I am traveling and know not to expect a whole lot. This one is the worst I have ever seen. The carpet was damp, the room had a sour musty stench to it and we killed three cockroaches - two in the bathroom and one on the wall between the beds. The internet which you pay $2.99 for was so slow we couldn't really do anything with it. I have paid less at Motel 6 and have had better rooms than this. Stay away from this one. Pay a little more for a hotel that at least keeps its rooms nice.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank A S
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Booked a non-smoking room but they put us in a smoking room. After only one night our clothes stank of smoke for the remainder of our trip.

Was told that the internet wifi was in our booking. It wasn't so we had to pay extra when checking in.

Terrible place.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Matt10101
Bakersfield, California, United States
Reviewed 6 July 2012

The stay started going bad over a month in advance. I called to make a reservation, and instead of making a reservation, they charged me for the night I called. Then when I called to straighten the problem out, they tried charging me twice as much for the room. Finally got them to agree to give me the room since I already paid for it, and they once again canceled the reservation because they didn't bother to get a credit card. I arrived to find no room waiting for me. They got me a room, at a price quoted a friend, and they swore the refunded the money to my credit card. They never did. The rooms are two beds, no where to put anything, no room for luggage if you use both beds. Water pressure very poor, and no lobby for basic morning conveniences. At least they had an ice machine, but forget it if you want anything warm. The cruelest part is is the wake up call talks about coffee in the lobby. There is no lobby, and they don't supposedly start serving until 7, so forget it unless you sleep late. Fortunately they are next to a very nice and accommodating gas station with good coffee, and free hot water. That gas station really saved the stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carpinteria
Best Western Plus Carpinteria Inn
Motel 6 Santa Barbara - Carpinteria South
The Wayfarer
The Wayfarer
#17 of 52 in Santa Barbara

Been to Motel 6 Santa Barbara - Carpinteria North? Share your experiences!