“Good Bargain”

Motel 6 Santa Barbara - Carpinteria North
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Carpinteria
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Great place to stay for a family weekend activity. We stayed in a non-smoking, CLEAN two full size bed room. Room had wood floors. Room was on third floor inside toward pool area. It is small but it fit our family of 4 well. Table inside for eating (sits 2). We needed extra towels as they supply for 2 people in room; front desk was very helpful both days when we needed extra towels. Office was extremely busy but the ladies handled the crowd well. We were impressed with their respect toward frazzled customers. First night, room was hot until we turned on our AC. Room was very comfortable. Beds were fine too. I rate rooms based on cleanliness, ours was very clean. We thanked the woman who cleaned our room every day. We utilized the washer & dryer and both worked fine. They have 2 washers/dryers for your use. I would stay here again as it was 14 miles away from our activities.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you might request a room towards the inside of the hotel instead of faci...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I want to start this review by stating - if you are expecting 4star quality please stay at a 4 star hotel. Motel 6 is a place for budget minded travelers. If you keep this in mind then you should be okay.

I booked this for the July 4th holiday. All the other hotels in the area were booked and the few that had rooms wanted triple of what I paid. I was greeted by the manager "Kathy" at check in. She was very friendly and welcoming. I got to my room un no time. One feature I do like about Motel 6 is there is no check in time. I have stayed at other places in the area that have a 4pm check in, so you have to wait to get to your room, not at Motel 6. This is especially great if you are traveling with family.

The room was what I expected for a budget motel. There was a smell to the room, but after running the AC for a while it went away. One thing I found funny is I was in a non-smoking room but it had ashtrays in the room with a sticker no smoking. The room was clean and had a frig and microwave which came in handy during my stay. My room was on the bottom floor at the back of the motel and didn't have any noise issues that other reviews talked about.

There is a vending area and a small lobby area with tea and coffee only. So for breakfast you are on your own. There is a Carl Jr close by and other places to eat as well. There is also a pool on site and checked it out. The area was clean and well kept.

I was on a very tight budget for this trip and I would not have taken the trip if it wasn't for this Motel. If you are heading towards Santa Barbara, you have 3 different Motel 6 along the 101. Carpinteria North is the one I would stay at. If you are staying in Santa Barbara then I would go with the one in Santa Barbara, because you will be on the beach and the zoo is blocks away. I would have stayed there but the room was $60 more than the Motel 6 I stayed at. Probably because of the amenities close by.

Overall this was a pleasant stay and would stay here again the next time I am in the area.

Room Tip: Get a room on the backside of the motel and get the room option with the frig and microwave.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed 2 nights here for a graduation event in June. Cannot recommend this motel due to its close location to highway 101... like 50 feet from the highway. Luckily I bring earplugs whenever I travel so was able to get some sleep. But just sitting the room, you can hear the freeway traffic all day and night. For those of you are that sensitive to chemical smells beware - the cleaning crew sprays obscene amounts of stinky "air freshener" to mask any odors from the previous guests. It took an hour with an open window and A/C on full blast to air it out.

The property is old but has been refurbished in the typical Motel 6 ugly orange sheets, walls and curtains. The floors and walls are thin and you can also hear your neighbors clomping around. I get that it's one of the cheaper places to stay in the Carpenteria/Santa Barbara area, but for $129 a night, why not spend a little more and get a decent room at a hotel that is quieter and doesn't stink?

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank cirrusnine
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

I am 'currently' staying at Motel 6 Santa Barbara - Carpinteria South.My day was long and very stressful and all I wanted was to come into my hotel room and relax.That was not the case at all..As I left my dog in the room for the few minutes I walked out to my car I was immediately approached by an employee stating that he had received over four complaints about my dog barking.I wont play innocent and say that my dog wasn't barking, but I was out of the room for less than ten minutes.I highly doubt he received four complaints in that amount of time.Besides, Motel 6 is a pet friendly hotel chain so I'm sure it's not uncommon to hear dogs barking.I payed to stay here and am entitled to at least a few minutes to unpack my luggage without being scolded.

P.s.
There are stains on the bedspreads and the floors are covered in dirt.Plus their wifi is extremely slow for the $2.99 I payed for a days use.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 1 April 2014

When we re-capture our wonderful time in the states, one night will stay in our heads as the most overprized, dirtiest and loudest night of this four weeks.
We booked on priceline and thought, although the motel looked close to the 101, they would definately do stuff to the rooms to keep at least some noise out. At $85 (the most expensive motel on our roadtrip from LA to SF, and we stayed in San Luis Obispo and Monterey) a night we were pretty darn sure all would be good. We got one of the rooms out heading towards the 101. As we walked the walkway to the room my gf already said, that she hopes that they have soundproof windows. We entered and found that cars and trucks were actually driving through the room. We were very tired, and usually I don't mind sounds, but this was ridiculous. We got like 1.5h sleep max, cause it was crazy and when morning rose, the traffic rose and that was it.
But that was not enough. To that, the sink had stains of some sort (looked sth. like hardened snot) and a looong black hair. Furthermore there was no free wifi ($3 extra which I didn't pay), no coffeemaker, no fridge, no nothing. And for all that we had to pay $85.

Never ever use this motel, even if you are tired as hell, since you don't get any sleep anyways (when you get an upfront room). Sleep in the car in some small sideroad and have a nice long late night dinner for $85.

I would give 0 stars if possible, although the late night front desk guy was nice... So I guess 1 star is ok. It's not his fault, although since he probably knew about the noise, he could have given us a backside room, since we looked veeeeeeeery tired when we arrived.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Daniel M
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel the weekend of August 1-4, which coincided with Fiesta Days in Santa Barbara. We had reservations for 2 rooms, checked in late on the 1st and woke up to find a bed bug in one of the beds. Upon further search, we found bed bugs in both rooms that we had stayed in (rooms 312 and 313). We informed the front desk and they offered to switch us to other rooms. One of the new rooms was available at that time (room 225) and we checked it, and did not find any bed bugs. We checked the second room (room 226) when we got back for the day and it had bed bugs as well, so we were offered a third room. At that point, the only room they had had one queen bed (we had reserved rooms with 2 full beds), which my 12 year old son and my mother (his grandmother) had to share.

Other than the bugs, the rooms seemed clean. The bedding was old and worn, but the bathrooms were clean, and the site itself seemed clean. The A/C worked fine in the rooms we were in.

After the first night, because the manager was not yet on site, we called Motel 6's customer service line. The individual we spoke with was apologetic and offered us one voucher for a free night stay at Motel 6 in the future, with the understanding that additional remediation would occur. On the 2nd, we purchased matress encasements, at a total cost of almost $600 with the idea that they would provide additional protection from bed bug bites and potential infestation of our belongings, and the expectation that we would be reimbursed for that expense by Motel 6.

The manager was hard to reach; her shift seemed to start at 11, which was later than we wanted to stay to talk with her - we came to the area to vacation, not sit around at the hotel to talk with staff. We talked with her on the 3rd or the 4th to ask about getting reimbursed for the mattress encasements. She stated that she would not be able to reimburse us for those and that we would need to talk to the corporate office. She did not make any attempt to compensate us for our inconvenience.

When we returned home, on August 8, I called the customer service department again and was told that they would not reimburse us for the mattress encasements; that I would need to work with the site to get any reimbursement. I called the manager and was told that all she could do was reimburse us for the first night, when we stayed in rooms infested with bed bugs. There seemed to be some confusion over the fact that we had rented 2 rooms, both of which were infested. I called back on September 5th, because we had not yet received our reimbursement and was told that it would be resolved in a week. I still have not yet received any reimbursement, almost 2 months after our stay.

We will never stay in a Motel 6 again. While I understand that the hotel cannot necessarily prevent bed bug infestation (which can be brought to a site by other travelers), the quality of the customer service to make this situation right was appalling. We spent several hours during our vacation trying to come up with alternative solutions, looking for other hotels, and packing up our belongings and switching rooms (multiple times). When we arrived home, we had to take additional special precautions to ensure that we did not bring bed bugs into our home.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank esb1232013
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Good - Desk staff friendly.
Bad - Towels thin, small, like Junior HI P.E. towel. Killed a roach on the wall. No toiletries except tiny soap. No hair drier, no coffee maker (coffee at desk in am). Remote wouldn't change channels. Very thin sheets. 2 total pillows. $84 seemed overpriced.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PamShetler
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Santa Barbara - Carpinteria North, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear PShetler - Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for recognizing our friendly team. We apologize for the bedding conditions and remote control issues you experienced during your stay; these issues are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6. Please kindly contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Regarding the lack of amenities such as toiletries an in-room coffee maker, hair drier etc. - please know that, as an economy brand, we keep our amenities limited in order to keep our brand promise to offer great value for the lowest price of any national chain.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carpinteria
Best Western Plus Carpinteria Inn
Motel 6 Santa Barbara - Carpinteria South
The Wayfarer
The Wayfarer
#18 of 52 in Santa Barbara

Been to Motel 6 Santa Barbara - Carpinteria North? Share your experiences!