“Good price but cockroaches and paper thin walls”

Motel 6 Santa Barbara - Carpinteria South
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Carpinteria
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We booked last minute for President's Day weekend and we were excited about the price. Check in was easy, room was clean and as expected. I read the reviews and followed suit by bringing our own pillows and comfy blankets. I wish I would have read the review about bringing your own towels...they were only slightly bigger than a hand towel and super thin! Bed was also very small and hard. The walls were so thin...the room next to us was partying and super loud into the very early morning hours. It wasn't until they busted out in a harmony of what sounded like a school alma mater at 2:30am that we finally called the front desk. He said that he would call them and ask them to quiet down. He never called, but when we called back 20 minutes later, we heard him knock on their door. A cockroach climbed out of the wall vent the next morning, but we were already packing up to get outta there! The hotel itself wasn't a tragedy, but if we ever find ourselves needing to stay again...earplugs and towels will definitely be on the list. And maybe some bug spray

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RTmama

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Pretty bare bones but served its purpose for 1 night of travel with a dog. Room was clean but air was stale. Based on the burn marks on the bathroom floor, the partially melted tv remote, and the presence of the ash tray (despite signs that said 'No Smoking'), I would guess the smell was due to the room having been smoked in previously. Heater worked quickly. Shower had plenty of hot water and high pressure. Bar soap provided at sink and tub but no shampoo. Only 2 pillows for 2 people; husband asked for an extra and he was told there were no more pillows. Room 139 is on the corner near Carpinteria Ave on the 1st floor and under the staircase. Noise from people on stairs, some traffic noise from the street but the fan provided good background noise. We traveled with our dog: there is a good-sized grassy area to the south of the hotel and sidewalk on the street for dog walks.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mollywaffles
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

One of the Best motels we've been in our California roadtrip. Renovated. You can't beat the price. Good value for money. The sta barbara area is kind of expensive so if you have a car, dpending rhw night here is a good option.
The room decor is simple but with a modern look. Clean, nice and for every budget. Will stay again!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mbilbaop
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

The wife and I stayed here on a 2 week motorcycle trip. The check in was easy and quick. Being on a motorcycle meant that we need to do laundry every 3rd day. As we needed to do ours we were directed to the guest laundry which was clean, but the soap dispensers were both broken. I went to the office and they said they had informed the company that supplies them and were waiting for them to come out. One of the desk clerks, sorry I forgot his name, but he has a British accent went to his room and gave my wife enough laundry soap from his own so we could get ours washed. That kind of service demands respect. We would come back and stay there again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Azriders
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I've stayed here three times but doubt I will return. This motel is conveniently located in Carp and near enough Santa Barbara. I like the simple utilitarian design of the rooms, with modern touches. However the beds are just ridiculously uncomfortable. The first two stays were somewhat manageable with only relative stiffness in my back in the morning. However this last time the mattress was so awful, I couldn't sleep a wink. The springs popped loudly every time I moved and jammed me in the back as punishment. So while I really want to like this motel, I just can't bring myself to return there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dalinka
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Have stayed here many times, latest in spring 2013. Basic motel in a great place. Clean, basic room. Bring your own utensils, as only a soap bar and smallish towel are supplied. Close to great Italian eatery, great breakfast joint, beer place and, off course, the beach.

Room Tip: Take a room on the pool side of the motel, as the parking lot, especially the truck department, can...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We were driving down from Santa Barbara and decided to break up the trip and stay in Carpinteria for the night- mistake # 1, was to pick Motel 6 South. The room was small, , dirty fingerprints on the surfaces which showed a lack of cleaning, the bedcover had stains all over it- Wi-Fi was not only extra but they charged per person usage ! The bed was on a wood frame with a thin mattress which was positioned on a plywood base board ! You could hear every noise made by occupants down the corridor- We could not wait to get up and leave the next morning.

Room Tip: Choose any other hotel in town
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank leslie c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carpinteria
Best Western Plus Carpinteria Inn
Best Western Plus Pepper Tree Inn
The Wayfarer
The Wayfarer
#18 of 52 in Santa Barbara

Been to Motel 6 Santa Barbara - Carpinteria South? Share your experiences!