“Best Carpinteria hotel now that we've tried others.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carpinteria
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Carpinteria
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Stayed at HIE Carpinteria last night (Monday) for one night while visiting relatives who were renting a condo for the week at the beach. Have stayed at BW as well, so wanted to give a comparison review.

Holiday Inn Express, for us (my sister and I) was a better fit. It was also more expensive, though not by much. Surprised at the $167 rate for a Monday night, (AAA discount and all) but that was the deal. The rate would have been received better if the gentleman next to us, also checking in, wasn't given a corporate rate of $50 less per room, after asking for something lower.

Anyway, that's not the room point. The rooms are really nice. Newly upgraded, it seems, with great TVs, very light bathrooms, fresh carpet and linens and a plug next to the mirror in the bedroom so that one can dry their hair while the other takes a shower. Our room (255) had two queen beds plus a sofa bed, fridge, microwave, the works. It could have housed 5 people. The breakfast was good -- the usual stuff (bread, bagels, juice, fruit, plenty of hot eggs and sausage, yogurt) and the area was kept really clean. I think this location beats BW as you can easily walk to a shopping mall complete with Starbucks, a grocery store, a bank, pharmacy and many fast foods. Also, you can cross the busy street and walk over to the seal rookery or hike on the beach from the hotel. We felt very safe. Staff really nice. We asked for a quiet room and were given one facing Carpinteria Street versus the freeway. Really good sleep with an abundance of excellent pillows! Also, I think they take pets as we heard a dog barking next door (but not annoyingly so and not when we were sleeping).

FYI for out-of-state travelers -- Carpinteria is a shopping-bag-free city. If you do walk over to the grocery or pharmacy, bring your own shopping bags or a lot of friends/family or you will have to carry everything in your arms. Might be a topic for next tourism meeting.

Room Tip: Always ask for a quiet room if you need one.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Ohiofamily
mensign, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carpinteria, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We think we are the best choice in Carpinteria too! Not to say there aren't some other good options, but we are newer, our rooms are larger, our breakfast more plentiful, and staff the friendliest in town. Yes, Carpinteria is a "bag free" city. There are reusable bags that can be purchased at the grocery stores, but that can be frustrating. Based on your comment we are getting a supply of reusable bags for our guests to use when shopping in our town. Return them for the next guest to use or take them home with our compliments. Very glad you enjoyed your visit and we hope you come back and visit us again very soon. Ask for your free reusable bag:)

Reviewed 17 June 2013

FIrst time traveler to Santa Barbara. Went with kids and fiance. Looking at deals online, realized Santa Barbara hotels were expensive. Decided to look 15 minutes away to Carpinteria. Great area. Great hotel. Although I paid 130 a night, next door was Motel 6 @ 59 a night. I did however get a continental breakfast, heated pool, working jacuzzi, and was able to eat my breakfast air fresco and swim @ 8 in the morning. Very refreshing way to begin the day. Santa Barbara beach ok. Water was colder than Pismo it seemed. But loved the Spanish flare every corner I walked. Staff was nice and pleasant. Would go again, but I wouldn't be able to do without looking for discounts first. Believe it or not Hotel.com or cheap tickets did not give me the best deal. I went directly to their website and had AAA, their discount was better than the website offers. Rooms look exactly like the website. Fill up at ARCO up the road around the corner. Cheaper there than anywhere else.

Room Tip: Although my room was facing the freeway, I wasn't bothered by the noise at all!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank sugalips1
mensign, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carpinteria, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Dear Sugalips1,
We are very glad that you found our hidden little gem of a town with our family friendly vibe and great beach! Thanks also for choosing the Holiday Inn Express over some other choices you might have considered. Our larger rooms and free breakfast are definite pluses for families and our outdoor heated pool and whirlpool spa are a great refresher after a day out having fun. Please come and visit us again and tell your friends!

Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

This was a nice hotel, very clean. Seemed newer or a newer remodel. It was extremely over priced. Was not really sure why it was so over priced considering the other hotels near it were half the price, and the neighborhood was not a high dollar place just average.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. The tv in the room was a lil messed up.....the coloring was off and it was not something that was adjustable, but it was not to big of a deal considering there was to much to do. I also used the guest laundry, which was helpful. The coffee in the lobby was great, breakfast was great as well. Would stay here again if they lowered the price.

• Stayed: May 2013
mensign, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carpinteria, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Thank you for your review. I am happy you found our staff, facilities and services deserved high marks even if our pricing was high. Based upon the date of your review, I might assume that you stayed over the Memorial Day weekend which is one of our 4 or 5 highest rate weekends based upon the high demand we get during holidays. I hope you might get an opportunity to visit when business levels dictate a lower rate. Please let me know anytime I might be of service.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

It is closed to Camarillo and very good location.
I feeled comfortable all through our staying at this hotel.
My room located far away from front area so it was not so convenient for us.
We feel a little high cost.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jalwaon

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are happy that your visit was overall a positive experience. With a little notice we are happy to assign a room in advance that is closer to our front desk area or any other special request you might have. Our rates are typically lower mid-week, you might try to visit Sunday through Thursday. Better tables at local restaurants too! Hope you can visit us again soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2013

I've stayed here a number of times. When it was new, it was a a pretty solid choice. But it's now showing signs of the times. Although "little" things, they add up: unfriendly check-in, stained carpet, REALLY worn and stained upholstery on the furniture, and a cabinet door that won't close completely. My biggest problem this visit is that my wife called me several times while I was out of the room and the guy at the front desk (answering after many rings) couldn't figure out how to direct her to my room's voice-mail. That meant I called her and woke her up in the middle of the night when I returned. That's pretty inexcusable as far as I'm concerned and will mean that I won't ever stay here again. It's management and training, folks - shouldn't really be that complicated!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank FlyGuy47
mensign, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carpinteria, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2013

I am sorry to hear that we fell far short of your expectations during your recent stay...and ours. We did have a temporary problem with our voice mail system, which has now been resolved. We apologize to both you and your wife for this problem. We are working hard at re-training and re-focusing our staff on providing great customer service. We know that listening to the needs of our guests and then providing prompt and courteous responses to those needs is what our guests expect. We are in the planning stages of a major renovation of our hotel. Still a little ways off, but our services and facilities are on the road to being very solid in the near future. Please call upon me directly if I might be of any service to you in the future. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 5 April 2013

After a long day of travel, this was just the place to stay for a much needed rest. Front desk attendants were friendly and fast. Our room was spacious and clean. Breakfast was very nice, a couple of hot choices as well as yogurt, rolls, toast etc. We wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
mensign, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carpinteria, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Dear saltedradish, Thank you for your "Great!" review of our hotel! We have been taking deliberate steps to address some of the issues brought to our attention by previous TripAdvisor reviewers whose stay had some difficulties. It is reassuring to hear that our efforts are resulting in better experiences by our guests. We hope you enjoyed Carpinteria enough to return and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 28 March 2013 via mobile

Location is not the best due to the fact there are quiet a bit of thugs around the block. Makes you think twice before going out for a walk late at night. The hotel room had its troubles. It took two of us to keep the door open for everyone to come in the room. We asked them to fix it but it never happened. For some reason our room was very hot. We had the air conditioner on all day although it was 59 degrees outside. The fact that the coffee machine was in the bathroom made us not want to take a sip at it. Also the fan in the bathroom didn't work so the room would get very foggy.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank just2honest
mensign, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carpinteria, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Dear just2honest, thank you for sharing your honest observations about your stay. We are working diligently to address the concerns you voiced in your review. Although it is rare for Carpinteria to have any issues with crime, I have personally requested that our local police force do regular drive throughs of our parking lot, especially in the evenings and overnight. We have inspected the fans in our bathrooms and did find a couple in need of repair, which we have done. It sounds as if most of your stay with us was enjoyable and I hope you have another opportunity to stay with us soon. Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carpinteria
Best Western Plus Carpinteria Inn
Montecito Inn
Montecito Inn
#18 of 52 in Santa Barbara
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carpinteria? Share your experiences!