“OLDIE BUT GOODIE”

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 22 December 2012

The Hitching Post I in Casmalia, CA (or HP 1 as my friends and I like to call it) is a great steak house located literally in the middle of nowhere. In fact it's so remote that by all logic it has no right to exist. I first found out about HP 1 after playing golf at Marshallia Ranch (Vandenberg AFB). We weren't familiar with the area and inquired in the Pro Shop about a good restaurant. Without hesitation they said HP !. This was on a Wednesday afternoon in the summer so we figured there would be no crowd. Wrong! It was full but they put us in an area where we could sit with others w/o reservation. We had to wait until the last seating had been served, around 10:00. But it was worth the wait. Their libations are liberal, their steaks are scrumptious, their wait staff are attentive and helpful and it's just an all around fun place to eat. But remember HP 1 is a steak house and this is Cowboy Country. Don't try to get fancy. HP 1 is in a ram shackled 100+ year old buiding. Casmalia is a town? of about 50 including goats, cats and dogs located at the end of a two lane street.. I golf in that area 3 or 4 times/year and always make it a point to have dinner there. BUT REMEMBER, MAKE A RESERVATION. It's busy winter and summer.

1  Thank LHANN2013

Reviewed 11 December 2012

We never miss the chance to eat here. You can't beat the multi-course cowboy meal cooked on an oak-fire grill. I love the fish, steak, shrimp or chicken. The meals include a small shrimp or fruit cocktail, salad, main course, coffee/tea/soda and a scoop of ice cream. It's nestled in the back hills, and although not convenient to where we stay, it's ALWAYS worth the drive.

Reviewed 6 December 2012

My wife and I were in the Santa Maria Valley for a few days in December, 2012. Santa Maria has a reputation for great steaks and we wanted to hit the best places in the few days we had. The locals kept coming up with this place, its a little out of the way but definetly worth it. This is not fine dining. It is fairly casual but if you are looking for meat and potatoes, really good meat and potatoes, tjhis is the place. We hit several steak places in the area and I have had a lot of good steaks in my days but I have to say this is one of the best steaks I have ever had. Big, juicy, perfectly cooked, friendly service, good side dishes. I went there for the steak though and was not dissapointed. My wife says it was the best steak she has ever had. Its not cheap but its worth it.

Reviewed 5 December 2012 via mobile

We live within 30 miles and frequent as often as we can! To tonight by far was the best! Early reservation gave us the opportunity of being greeted by the cook , Luis at the lobby when we arrived. After being seated right by the pit (best seat in the house) we watched him grill some fabulous artichokes, we started to wish we ordered them. Much to our surprise the were delivered to the table next to us and our tab. Compliments of the house! Wow, beat experience we've had and as always the halibut was delicious and the service was great. Recommend!

Reviewed 1 December 2012

As a frequent visitor of this restaurant, I previously gave it high reviews however, my last visit was dissapointing. I ordered my usual and found that the quality (not as tasty) and quanity (smaller portions) has changed and the prices have gone up (already on the high $ide). Not sure if ownership or chef has changed...just not as good:-(