“They Take Pets, But Surprise! Your Standard Poodle Is Twice The Rate.”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Castro Valley
Reviewed 1 December 2010

We often visit our family in this city. This property takes pets. We have stayed here before, paying $10.00/night for the same pet. This time I was asked upon check-in, how much my dog weighed. I answered truthfully: 45lbs. I could have lied because the desk staff never saw the dog in the 6 days we were there.
Online reservations with Choice Hotels failed to mention the double charge for a dog over 25lbs, but had a goofy sentence about a pet limit of 4.
Best Western charges 10.00; sometimes is free. An Oregon Quality Inn charged us 10.00/night.
I am angry this wasn't made clear on the reservation form, and neither management nor CH customer support would back down from misrepresentation.
$120 for a clean poodle to sleep on the floor for 6 nights in room 238 [soiled chair; cracked toilet tank lid; locked window].

• Stayed: November 2010
Tina M, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for sharing this honest review and feeback about our staff and room. Please do consider us again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 29 October 2010

We extended our stay in castro valley an extra day and the hotel we were staying in was booked. After searching on the internet and reading many reviews, I took a chance on this hotel. We weren't sure what to expect. Needless to say we were very pleased with our choice. The staff was friendly and there was complimentary popcorn and cookies in the lobby. The room had been updated and was very clean. The breakfast was modest, but filling. Great value!

• Stayed: October 2010

I want to ensure that you know that we appreciate all guest feedback. Thank you for the insight regarding your experience with our staff and breakfast. Through guest feedback like yours, we are better able to further improve guest experience for future visitors.

Reviewed 14 March 2010

After a long journey from Monterey, which took in a whistle stop tour round, through and out of San Francisco, we were exhausted but on our way to Yosemite. It was late, it was dark, I was fractious. We pulled off the motorway and took pot luck, ending up here - an oasis under the given circumstances. I was ready to throw my arms around the almost friendly concierge when it was clear they had a room that we could afford.
All I can say is - what great value. We shared a good sized room with our two teenage daughters. Very clean, very comfy. After some restorative complimentary popcorn in the foyer and filter coffee in the room, we managed a late meal at some fast food place a short walk down the road (out, turn left, on the right after one block) where we celebrated my husbands birthday with some bottomless glasses of pink lemonade. Do not under any circumstances, if you happen to go there, order the "chicken steak" as it was constructed from an amalgam of dubious protein slurry. Total experience there was memorably average, however our beds back at the hotel were nice and soft and just what the doctor ordered.
Next day we had a pleasant breakfast in the small area near the check. The food was modest but adequate and included in the room price. While I packed up, the rest of the family swam happily in the little pool and set themselves up for another day in the car.
This little hotel was just what we needed, I probably wouldn't set out with it as my ultimate destination, mainly as at first glance the town itself seemed to lack a sense of identity and sprawled out rather pointlessly, but we needed a place to stay and it ticked the box. For those of you needing excitement, it might be worth mentioning that there was a curiously extravagant mini golf course just over the road.
Thank you Holiday Inn Express, I remember you fondly.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Annie2008UK

Your voice is very important to us and we are continuously striving to improve upon the guest experience. Thank you for rating your stay and providing us insights regarding our area and breakfast. Through guest feedback like yours, we are better able to further improve guest experience for future visitors.

Reviewed 11 August 2007

We did not have a reservation, but found a very nice room here when traveling last summer. The pool was big enough for us. The morning paper was a nice touch. Very clean.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank LoveCali4nia

We appreciate that you've taken the time to share with us regarding our room and pool. We greatly appreciate the time you've taken to rate our hotel and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 14 March 2007

This hotel was great for us the one night we stayed there. We plan to go back down this weekend and stay there again....
It had a great central location for Castro Valley, Staff was very helpful and gave us ideas of where to eat and play, the rooms were clean and very nicely furnished and were recently renovated. The carpets and furniture were replaced with in the last month.

They upgraded our bath tub to a jetted tub for only a dollar more. The breakfast was decent with hot cinnamon rolls, cold and hot cereals, juices, coffees, teas, toast, waffles, ect. There wasnt a lot of space for eating but we just took ours to our room, not a big deal.....

The hotel is very cramped between two big buildings but your in the city so that is expected. The under the building parking is a little cramped if every spot was filled but that wasnt a problem when we were there.

It has an outdoor pool. Very nice and clean setting.

We had a great experience and will be there again soon.....

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank TracyYoung

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding our staff and furniture. Please do consider us again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 13 June 2006

As a avid fan of Holiday Inn Express hotels across the US, this one is by far the worst. The location is squished between 2 buildings and we almost missed it. The underground parking had a few cars that were covered in dust and had looked like they were abandoned. Check in went well and all requests I had made when reserving were met. Jacuzzi tub in room was very loud and water splashed all over the floor. The refrigerator in the room is loud as was the air conditioner and we ended up turning the refrigerator which is located near the bed off. At 5 a.m. I had to ask front desk for directions to nearest highway, maid said to ring bell at front desk as no none was there. Employee came out yawning and drowsy and gave me bum directions which if followed, would have taken me a good 20 minutes and 5 stop lights away when the freeway onramp was right around the corner. Breakfast was awful and was not refilled as needed. The seating for breakfast was totally inadequate and we ended up balancing our food and walking to our room. At checkout, the young lady at desk did not seem to be interested in how our stay was as she had no personality or interest in the guests. I think I would stay a lilttle further from my destination and get a little earlier start to where I need to be rather than ever stay here again. This Holiday Inn Express cannot be compared to other Holiday Inn Express locations but rather a Motel 6 in anywhere America.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank honoapu

We appreciate the time you've taken to rate your stay. Thank you for your feedback regarding our bed and air conditioner. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 January 2004

I have never stayed at a better Holiday Inn Express location. This hotel has a great staff and is well managed. It has served me well in the past as I have stayed there many times while travelling on business. My family has stayed there as well since it is so close to the Oakland airport (8 miles). Most people are not aware of this jewel because of its location which is just off HWY 580 at the Strobridge Ave. exit. It is also located just 5 blocks from BART which makes it easy to go to a game at the Coliseum or even go to the city. This hotel should always be kept in mind while visiting the East Bay.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding our staff and location. Please do consider us again on your next visit to the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castro Valley
Best Western Plus Inn of Hayward
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#4 of 5 in Castro Valley

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!