“Hidden Gem of a Hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Cathedral City (Palm Springs)
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Cathedral City
Atlanta, Georgia
“Hidden Gem of a Hotel”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at this location for a short notice business trip and I was pleasantly surprised. Though I passed this hotel initially because the entrance is not easy to see at first, I did see it on my second pass. From my check-in to my check-out the staff was exceptional. The lobby was very well appointed and my room was exceptionally well decorated. Everything seemed new. There were some very good points to this hotel and that included the pool and hot tub. I have some severe mobility problems and the hot tub was just right for me. It was quiet at my level of room. Another set of assets of this hotel and location is that: a, it was a quick drive from the Palm Springs international airport, b. there were plenty of restaurants located within a half mile of the hotel, c. it is close to the business and tourist districts of both Cathedral City and Palm Springs, however a better value than Palm Springs, and d. I have to give cudos to the staff again and again. On the downside the better tourist district is Palm Springs and anyone with common sense knows that this is not walkable, you must have a car. I will definitely do this hotel again when I have business in the area. The hot complimentary breakfast was also a plus because the dining room looks out on the pool area and has a good view of the lobby through glass wall/doors.

Room Tip: I would definitely stay away from first floor rooms, but this hotel is quiet and the beds are superb...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This place is really something else. Don't stay here. I have been booking thru Expedia for years and always had good service from Hotels. As soon as they saw my reservation was via Expedia, they placed us on the 1st floor room for disabled guests. This first floor room is next to pool and a side exit. It is really loud and the shower develops puddles on the bathroom floor. I tried to change rooms since I overheard the front desk staff tell a guest that they can move if they like. However, for me, they said 'no' that a got a 'run of the house' room with the 'cheap rate'. How insulting, this was said in front of my wife and other guests. How do you respond to that? We did not want to argue so we left all afternoon to Palm Springs hoping by the time we came back the people at the pool would be gone. The noises continued since the room was by the exit door until 1:30 am or so. Hence, no sleep! No apology was given at any point, in fact, I was told that I should of booked through them. Don't stay here unless you like bad customer service or like being treated like second class guest with no rest.

Room Tip: Don't let them place you on the 1st floor. If they do, just check out. You will get more rest a...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Uli G
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cathedral City (Palm Springs), responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear Uli G,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. It is unfortunate service issues prevented you from fully enjoying your time at our hotel. We would like to address this further and have sent you a private message.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2013

It took me a long time to decide which hotel to stay in during this trip to the Palm Springs area. I read all the reviews and finally settled on this Holiday Inn. It was very easy to find from the freeway and we liked the hotel very much. The check-in person was very helpful and gave us the top floor room we had requested - it did face the car park which was a shame but it was quiet. The room was nice, the bed comfortable, the bathroom was really quite big. We had a fridge in the room which was much appreciated. Breakfast was fine, quite a lot of choice and a free newspaper. The pool area was very nice. If I were to make any comment about the pool it would be that during busy times there are not enough chairs and umbrellas for shade available. We were lucky because during the week it was like having our own private pool but at the week-end it was impossible to find a bed. Cathedral City is quieter than Palm Springs but ideally situated for travelling around the area. A very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the car park do not get the afternoon sun but tend to be a little dark.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Checking in was a breeze, great location [reasonable to Palm Springs], breakfast staff was nice [on one of the mornings, I arrived late but the attendant said no problem and got me some danishes and coffee] and the room was more than I was expecting.... I enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ptanian063
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Basically we got exactly what we paid for here and it was perfectly satisfactory. Parking was free and easy, as was the wireless access in-room. The free breakfast was not great, but when is a free meal ever that awesome? We were in Cathedral City to attend the Coachella music festival (as were most other hotel guests that weekend) and this location was perfect for that; under 30 minutes driving each way, close to inexpensive chain restaurants and many major retail chains, clean, reasonably comfortable and safe/secure. The gorgeous pool was an added bonus for us, although not being heated it was still pretty chilly in April. Also nice, having a laundry room for guests (a must for anyone spending 3 days in a crowded desert field listening to music. Bottom line, if we go back to Coachella next year we would probably book here again because it was a good all-around value but if we were simply on vacation we would spend a little more for a more luxurious experience.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool have the nicest views and are quiet in terms of outside noise anyway.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kyra S
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 13 April 2013

This hotel is brand new and very clean. They have free breakfast and this was not skimpy ones.
They had full breakfast. Family with kids will understand it adds up if you have to pay for breakfast as well. So we enjoyed it. Swimming pool is also very clean. We saw Ducks in the pool in the morning. They do not use too much chloride so it was not smelling too bad.
Now we had two beds in the room and it was bit small. Need vent in the bathroom. After shower you are basically cooked.

Room Tip: swimming pool side
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Terrigal
Reviewed 4 April 2013

The people at the front desk were very friendly and kind. Hotel rooms were clean and roomy. The price was reasonable and a great deal. Only thing missing was a laundry bag, which isn't a big deal because i just asked for it at the front desk. Overall a good stay and I would recommend to others!

• Stayed April 2013
Hampton Inn & Suites Palm Desert
The Westin Mission Hills Villas
The Westin Mission Hills Villas
#1 of 8 in Rancho Mirage

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cathedral City (Palm Springs)? Share your experiences!