“Fun weekend - but probably not the best place to bring kids”

Welk Resorts Palm Springs
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Cathedral City
San Diego, California
“Fun weekend - but probably not the best place to bring kids”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stayed here Friday and Saturday night for a weekend with the kids. It is a nice, clean resort and the room we had (one bedroom) was LARGE. It is a smaller property which I actually prefered. We have two boys (9 and 6 years old) and they had fun. The pool is nice but small. Thankfully we went on a hot weekend in June so it was not too crowded, but I could see where this might be a problem any busy weekend. The activity room had two ping pong tables, two pool tables, an air hockey table, and a Wii set up. The boys really liked the acitivity room and honestly, it's the best one we have seen since we started bringing the kids to the Palm Springs area. I would stay here again for a weekend but not a whole week. I think that the kids would have gotten bored if we had stayed even one more day.
The only negatives I have are that when we checked in at 9:00 pm on Friday night they tried to make me meet with the concierge to "pick up" my parking pass. The LAST thing I want after working all day then driving 2 hours in a minivan with two kids is to be blackmailed with a sales pitch in order to get my parking pass. I skipped it and when we left on Sunday we had a note on our car telling us to go the concierge to get our parking pass. Also, as I mentioned, the pool was small and there were no real "amenities" for the kids at the pool; no splash zones, waterslides, etc. I really felt this was a resort geared toward the more mature crowd. (Which I am certain I will very much appreciate when not traveling with the kids!)

Room Tip: If you don't want to be disturbed Sunday morning with the welcome message and free donuts, don...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Amy H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Auburn,CA
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I arrived 5/15 and got a room that faces the parking lot, but most of the cars there are blocked from view by a hedge close to the cars. I would prefer this to the ones overlooking the pool if I came back. We got the bottom unit, so there is some noise from upstairs. While we did have a large family with kids last weekend, the worst was the housekeeping crew who must have been under pressure to clean that unit before 4pm checkin. Their portable radios were so loud, so much worst than all the kids. THEN they leave you a tip solicitation envelope for the housekeepers on the dresser. The pool is great during the week, but lots of rowdy kids in the water with no apparent adults monitoring them. In Hawaii we have visiting neighborhood kids that use the resort's pool and spa and suspected these kids were likewise. The room was very clean with a little patio outside with chairs and little table accessible from both the living room or the bedroom. A lot of people sit out on theirs late at night, but never heard any talk or car noise at night. There is 1 bathroom, a kitchen with a large refrig, stove, cooktop, micro. Nice cabinets, walk in closet. We passed on the presentation offer upon checkin and never got contacted again. The orientation was perhaps mentioned, but because we checked in on a Tuesday we never went. They do have paperwork telling of bingo activities, etc. I need to note that there is a 2nd, adult only pool, but it's next to the bigger family pool and the crying/screaming children would be heard if that occurred. Next to the pools is a snack bar for mixed drinks and salads, etc. We got a large club salad 3 times for $6.25, a good deal and convenient. They served $2.50 root beer floats in the after noons from 2 to 2:30, and no food orders were done then. The snack bar takes its last order at 3:45 and closes at 4pm. There is a newer mall to visit a few miles away on hwy 111 called The Rivers with a movie theater and a few restaurants there and up and down this boulevard. This mall offers some nice air conditioning, but all the small shops shut down at 7pm on Sunday's and I believe 8pm all the other nights. Kinda odd for us who wanted to walk off our dinner there 2 nights and most places were closed for the night. there's an up scale street on the other side of hwy111, called El Paseo, or something similar with the Coach, Gucci and similar pricey restaurants with Bentleys parked out front if you're into that stuff. We did stop by a Rolls Royce/Maserati dealership to look around and also saw my first 4 door Porsche Para-something 4S with a $140k price tag. the Rolls was $302k. We had a good week. I hope that I didn't come across as not liking the pool environment here, I just shared what we experienced and would come back again in a few years.

Room Tip: I don't think there are elevators, just a handicap lift to get wheelchair folks upstairs. I susp...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank garyd210
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We chose this resort due to the fairly close proximity to Indian Wells. It was about 20 minutes away via the freeway. Could not find any place available in Indian Wells due to extremely high demand. Nevertheless this place fit the bill. The condo was well appointed and comfortable. We much enjoyed the proximity to the golf course at the country club next door and had terrific group golf lessons at a great price with Steve Creps. The pool was nice as was the hot tub. I agree with another reviewer about the time share people, but just be firm to avoid a presentation. I didn't like that it was hard to keep the car away from the sprinkler spray each night, I tried several places and could not avoid it. Also it seems like they could put people in a poolside condo instead of an outside one when there was enough room to do that. However we spent most days at the tennis tourney so it was not an issue. If I was going to hang around the resort all day, I'd would have asked to be moved to a poolside condo.

Room Tip: Ask for one poolside not one facing the parking lot!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 20 April 2012

My Husband & I stayed one week at this WELK Resort. We liked everything about this resort. The kitchen was well equiped and organized. We spent two mornings at the Annenberg Gardens. The Gardens are on the must see list. This is a family friendly place, an adult pool and a family friendly pool.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Keith A
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We have stayed here several times trading our time share for here. Its one of the nicer resorts we have stayed at. They really try hard to make it family friendly even though we are seniors we like the effort. There is a large family pool and a smaller lap/adult pool.
The units are all one bedroom with a well stocked kitchen and large bathroom. It can sleep 4 if needed, 2 on the queen sofa bed. There are BBq's all over to use.
The resort is very clean and the lawns and gardens well kept up.
There is golf and tennis right here and lots of kid activities. they have a pool side BBQ 2 times a week, Bingo, Casino Night, Family night, ping pong, kid crafts. The staff are all very friendly and helpful.
The only down side is being nagged to do a time share presentation. And in talking to those who have gone,there are conflicting offers (time shares) and amounts paid to do the presentation.
I am ready to put in my reservation for next year!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool or golf course view. Avoid the consierge to get the parking pass (go aft...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BeckyinBend
california
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This was stop 3 out of 4 on a 2 week southern CA vacation. Overall, this is a great place. The pool was the highlight of this resort. There was an adult pool and a family friendly pool, with a nice pool bar. The activity center is conveniently located. The fitness room is well equipped. The suites were spacious and the kitchens were well equipped and maintained. The bathroom was large and they even had a laundry line in the tub to hang your bathing suits. Overall, this would have been my favorite place we stayed in CA, but the beds were miserable. The king was too hard and the sofabed was so flimsy, you felt every spring (my six year old was not comfortable, forget an adult!). I hope they get new mattresses, because this was a great resort otherwise.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Kootenays, BC
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We just spent a week at this resort. We had a lovely suite with a view of the mountains. It contains a fully equipped kitchen which we really appreciated and made good use of. It appeared that the decor had been recently updated and everything was fresh and clean. We found the bed very comfortable and had pillows with different degrees of firmness.

The main pool area was well maintained and had a snack bar that offered breakfast and lunch. There was also an adult only pool nearby. There were a variety of activities offered for young and old making it a great place to bring kids or grandkids. We took advantage of the aquafit classes that were offered every morning.

The resort is in an excellent location with restaurants, shopping, entertainment, and a variety of golf courses a short drive away. We also found the staff to be friendly and knowledgeable.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kootenay_Traveller58
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cathedral City
The Westin Mission Hills Villas
The Westin Mission Hills Villas
#1 of 8 in Rancho Mirage
Holiday Inn Express Cathedral City (Palm Springs)
The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Staybridge Suites Palm Springs-Cathedral City Golf Resort
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Golf Resort Palm Springs
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Been to Welk Resorts Palm Springs? Share your experiences!