“Now serving dinner”

Sunshine Cafe
Price range: US$5 - US$12
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery
Description: Sunshine Cafe is frequented by celebrities, politicians, word of mouth visitors from around the world and mostly our wonderful locals. Known as a local hole in the wall with a funky vibe and fantastic food Sunshine Cafe has the perfect meal whether you are craving pancakes, our Best of The Valley Sunshine Salad, or a dinner entree. We strive to have the best food, friendly staff and comfortable atmosphere to make Sunshine one of your favorite places to eat.
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I was not aware of this place before a friend that lives in Cathedral City took me there for dinner during my visit to the desert. It was a pleasant surprise with good food, excellent and polite servers and staff.

It is small and certainly not a chain. Not sure how long it has been around but the interior is dated but fits the charm of the place. It apparently has only started serving dinner.

I ordered the meat loaf and it was tasty with flavorful mash potatoes. My only comment would be that I wish cooks would stop placing mash potatoes with an ice cream scoop as it makes me think the potatoes are made from a mix and not fresh. I am pretty sure that I ate was not a mix. There was a small green salad before the meal with a good blue cheese dressing on the side. It was a cool salad that hit the spot on the hot day. Not fancy greens but did come with cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumbers and red onions. I wasn't impressed with the homemade biscuits.

My friend had salmon and rice pilaf, he said it was quite good. I don't eat seafood so I will take him at his word.

My water was kept full, our dirty plates removed quickly and service as extremely polite and efficient. In the end the bill was very reasonable for the meal. This is not trendy or fancy celebrity chef material...just good cooking and a tasty, flavorful meal.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stopped in for breakfast after hearing about this place for years. It's your old fashioned "greasy spoon", but clean with good food. I had eggs and pancakes, and coffee, all perfect. Staff was friendly and efficient. Food was tasty and reasonable. It's located near the Mary Pickford Theater in Cathedral City. Recommended if you're in the area.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Loved the food and service at the Sunshine Café. Overall décor is a bit dated and the place could use a deep clean, but overall a great meal for a decent price.

1  Thank Matt S
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Though a pleasant atmosphere in a kind of down-home way, we were very disappointed in the biscuits and gravy. This is an entree that requires the taste of sausage, but there was none whatsoever. Instead, they sprinkle a few bits bacon crumbs on the top.

1  Thank Schanke
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Sunshine Café is an excellent short order style restaurant. The food is down home quality and price. The only problem is its popularity--you may need to wait for a table.

1  Thank ricardo687