“Great Find!”
Review of Cypress Tree Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayucos
Cypress Tree Motel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Cayucos
San Francisco, California
“Great Find!”
Reviewed 6 October 2011

We like Cayucos and decided to spend a night there instead of staying in Morro Bay as we have in the past on our coastal roadtrips. It is just a small coastal town with a great stretch of beach and lots of good antique shopping in the area.

We drove by the Cypress Tree Motel a few times and then decided to check it out as it looked very interesting and a little different. It's rating on Tripadvisor was ok but not the best. We were looking for a place that was clean and not pricey as we were just going to be there to sleep. They had availability and let me look at two different rooms to see which one we might like and I wanted to make sure they were nice and clean. All of the rooms have some sort of theme. I checked out the Garden Room and the Route 66 Room. We decided on the Route 66 Room as it was so different, really cute. It was off-season and they gave us a great rate and a discount on top of that.

This place is just so different, kind of like you are going back in time. The owners bought this place before it was going to be torn down and have been working on it for about 12 years if I remember right. The whole property and the rooms have such detail and shows the time spent and the thought that has gone into everything. There are pictures, sayings and signs everywhere! As said, each room has a different theme and is decorated in that manner and just takes you back in time. You have everything you need in your room too such as a small frig./freezer which they put two small bottles of water, microwave, coffee/tea, TV with plenty of channels, hair dryer and needed toiletries. The bath towels were of good quality, nice and thick which surprised me for a smaller motel. They even put out little chocolates for you each day. They really pay attention to the small little details. The outside lawn area is really cute. The fence that borders the property has old signs everywhere, there is a big cypress tree that is all lit up at night with all these different type lights on it, a few lawn chairs, BBQ for which they will provide the charcoal, table and chairs and lawn ornaments and decorations throughout. They have put so much time and thought into every little area of this place. The owner told me that he has wanted to do this since he was 19 years old and it is a work in progress.

You are not on the beach and blocks from it but you can see a very small part of the ocean and at night when quiet you can hear the waves.

I could go on about this place and I am sure I have forgotten a few things but I can tell you it was a great find for us. The Cypress Tree Motel is just a fun and happy place. It is very different than your average chain motel and quirky in a good way. We were just planning on staying one night and ended up staying two here, on our week roadtrip. This is not a 5*, not even close but for us it was great. I rated it a 5 as it is a great value, although not on the beach the location is very good and within walking distance to shopping and restaurants. We were just looking for a nice clean room with a comfortable bed and a good deal. We got that and a little more at the Cypress Tree Motel.

Room Tip: Brown Butter Cookie Company at the end of town is a must. The original cookie is to die for!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank WillowsWay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I just ended my stay at the Cypress Tree Motel and I'm so sad to leave. While it's not a 5-star hotel, the rooms are adorable, clean, and quite nice. Everything you need for a relaxing vacation to Cayucos, one of the most relaxing places on the Central Coast. There's free wifi and a coffee maker in every room. The bed in the Wild Wild West room is rather firm (almost too firm for me, but that's a personal preference thing). The decor is super cute. As a single woman traveling alone, I felt quite safe. I cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank hebessica
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The owners were nice and it was in a good location however when my wife walked around the room we noticed that her white socks were now black. If this motel would've been $50 we would've expected the dirty carpet, but the room was much more than that. Because the carpet was so dirty it made the rest of the room feel unclean. We enjoyed the town but would definitely stay at a different hotel next time.

Room Tip: Wild Wild West room was the room we stayed in, pick another room if you want your socks to stay whit...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DAVESTEPHANIE

Travellers are raving about these Cayucos hotels

Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 16 June 2011

I was looking for an affordable place to stay for Memorial Day weekend and found this gem. The owners are very down to earth and the place has a very homey feel. We ended up with a kitchenette because the other rooms were all rented. That worked out great because we went to the farmer's market and bought food to make fresh fish tacos. Avila has a wholesale market on the pier and their halibut was AWESOME. There is a little market within walking distance and the Sea Shanty Restaurant just across the road. Sea Shanty has good food and very yummy desserts! On the motel property is a nice shady area with lawn chairs and a bbq; they even provide the charcoal. So, we had bbq halibut tacos that were yummy. Dogs are welcome here and there were a few. The best part was meeting all the neat people staying there. Everyone was so friendly. It was a great experience and we had hoped to go back for 4th of July, but they were all booked up. They said they usually book up in January. I highly recommend this little gem.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank shelngav
Lebanon, Ohio
Reviewed 12 May 2011

We found this delightful little motel in the little seaside town of Cayucos. It was very clean and the owners were very friendly.

Room Tip: Mention you are a friend of the dog, EmmyLou.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scoundrel999
Fresno, California
Reviewed 20 February 2011

This small lodge does not accommodate online reservations so we called and reserved two rooms for two nights. Upon arrival they had no record of us; after some searching they found they had reserved rooms for us in March! Mistakes happen to the best of us, how they are dealt with is what will bring a customer back or not. This couple treated us as though we had made a mistake and went so far as to yell at us, scold us and disappear from the office. They refused to talk with us and essentially shooed us out of their business. This one goes down as the worst customer service I have ever received and can't imagine recommending this motor lodge for anyone.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank moorern
emmylou5, Manager at Cypress Tree Motel, responded to this review, 5 March 2011
In response to this review, it is correct that we made a mistake on their reser"vation, however we did find alternate accomodations for them and offered to pay the difference in price. Unfortunately, upon the guest returning and advising me that she was not going to stay where we had secured accomodations for her, I did raise my voice in frustration and said "that's not right". After realizing that I raised my voice, I sincerely tried to apologize and told the person that I was indeed wrong for raising my voice. The person did not want to hear my apology and..
said a few negative things and walked out of the office. I did not shoo her out. Sometimes life gets the best of you and I certainly was wrong in raising my voice
So.Nevada
Reviewed 31 October 2010

We were on a 1 week PCH trip and we spent 2 nights here on the way up to Pacific Grove and 1 night on the way back down. The motel is a remodeled 50's style motor court motel and they even took care in making sure the landscaping matched. It is retro and very nice. The rooms are decorated in different themes, very clean with small fridges, microwaves, coffee makers and hair dryers. They leave you chocolates and a town map. The motel is within walking distance to anywhere you need to go in town and there are plenty of good restaurants, antiques shops and gourmet food shops. The beach is a block or two away and easy to access from many areas. The people of the town are so friendly. My only complaint about the motel is that the rooms are really small. We were in the Wild West room for the first 2 nights and the Route 66 room the last night. I guess if you were just there for the weekend, it would be enough room, but we were traveling for a week, had a a fair amount of luggage and not many places to put our luggage and stuff. You could argue that I could pack lighter, but there isn't much room in the rooms.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CampingFoodies
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayucos
Cayucos Shoreline Inn...on the beach
#7 of 12 in Cambria
Cayucos Beach Inn
Cayucos Beach Inn
#3 of 10 in Cayucos

Been to Cypress Tree Motel? Share your experiences!