“What a gem!”

On The Beach Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 7 Cayucos B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 October 2011

My sister and I called in at random for one night on our way form Los Angeles to San Francisco and for $175 got a beautiful massive twin room overlooking the sea complete with jacuzzi bath and heated towels and robes. Breakfast is gravy and biscuits, fresh fruit and yogurt and was great. Perfect for families, couples and young and not so young alike. The team make you feel at home and it was such a clean pretty place to stay. We loved it!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank DorsetMinni
There are newer reviews for On The Beach Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 6 October 2011

Having just arrived from Singapore, it was a last minute reservation! We were hoping for a quick break and a room and walk along the beach! It was perfect! Lovely room with fireplace, kind and helpful staff, great food, on the beach--literally at the foot of the pier! Cayucos and On The Beach B&B are two of California's best kept secrets! Autumn on the Central Coast--lovely! We'll be back!

Room Tip: The second floor sea-facing is best, but we were on the 1st and it was lovely too! You can hear the...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PilgrimStranger
Reviewed 1 October 2011

On this trip my wife wanted to stop at a quiet and quaint location near the ocean. This B&B provided her with everything that she desired and I left with her providing me with a four-star rating for finding this place. As I've said the hospitality, location and amenities were first-class. Every employee of this B &B were very helpful to any of our needs, or requests I would especially like to thank the night manager, Matt Finkelstein.

I'm sure, like everyplace and everything, someone can find some small points that could be improved. However, in this place, the overall experience was so wonderful that those small problems were not even noticed, even though I'm sure there were some. Would we return to this area? Definitely yes. Would we return to this B&B? Definitely without doubt.

Room Tip: Room location is a personal choice. Since my wife wanted to hear and see the ocean, I definitely wou...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ididit_11
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We liked the food, the bed, the room, the ambiance. The Jacuzzi was a bit weak. There was either no air conditioning, or it wasn’t working in our room. Couldn’t find any air vents, although there was a thermostat. It was hot in the room until late evening.

Room Tip: Try for upstairs.
Reviewed 30 August 2011

I read some of the reviews for August 2011 and I was a little surprised by the dislike. Cayucos is a town still struggling with the 70's. Small but quaint. Location was great. The breakfast was better than most B&B's and different every morning. Beds were comfortable and quiet. We had no problem sleeping. We had a lower room and the beach view was limited as described but we prefer the lower rooms. We sat up on the top veranda for part of Sat and read. We enjoyed the life around the inn. My wife and I brought our bikes and they let us keep them in our room. We just walked across the small one way access road and the beach and pier were there. Very close. The room decor is getting old and most likely should be updated. Overall it was a winner. We will come back

Room Tip: If you want an unobstructed view of the ocean get an upstairs room
1  Thank jfott2000
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We stayed here mid-week, spontaneously, as part of our honeymoon trip around CA. We were very impressed overall. Some examples that we feel make this B&B a wonderful place to stay:

+ very friendly, helpful and hospitable staff
+ lovely large, airy bedroom
+ huge jacuzzi bath tub
+ all modern facilities within room (TV, microwave, fridge, coffee maker, free WiFi)
+ comfiest bed of our whole trip - super soft duvet and pillows
+ superb freshly prepared breakfasts (a different cooked option each day, along with fresh fruits, warm pastries, cereal, yoghurts, muffins, bagels etc)
+ leftover pastries from breakfast were put out for "elevensies" to enjoy while still fresh, rather than served up again the following day
+ complimentary evening drinks (beer & wine) with homemade nibbles (the smoked salmon and goats cheese was delicious)
+ returning to the B&B after an evening out to find a plate of freshly baked complimentary cupcakes - heaven!
+ the spa deck, with hottub and sun loungers - lovely to sit here and watch the sun go down.
+ very reaonable walk-in rate - outstanding value for money (although I wouldn't rely on there being rooms available at short notice here - especially not at weekends).

Due to the nature of our trip, we had not read any reviews prior to booking. But I can honestly say that we did not experience any of the problems encountered by the reviewees below. Its such a shame that they obviously stayed during a "blip", because I would find it very difficult to find any fault with the service and facilities that were provided during my stay, and would not hesitate to recommend the On The Beach B&B to anyone looking for accommodation with quality, comfort and charm.

1  Thank LillyWilko
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Stayed here for our Anniversary on Friday & Saturday night.. Street level Room #5.
Room clearn and nice ammenities. Extremely noisy location until about 11pm both nights.
Wonderful soaking tub - but water pressure to fill tub or take shower was almost non-existant, to the point of frustration.
Breakfast was ok - but certainly did not live up to the promo listed under the "Wining & Dining"' article written by the Innkeeper on their website.
Asked the staff about the missing sheer curtain for the street level window because either pedestrians immediately outside the room had a clear view into the room, or the only other option was to pull the dark-out curtain and loose the view . Staff indicated the sheer curtain had been removed because it had become a bit ratty. Asked if it could be replaced before our second day/night - but nothing occurred as a result of the request.
Have stayed at many B & B's over the past 6 years and have never written a critical review before. This B & B has all the potential - but fell short. I think the difference in this B & B and others we have stayed at may be due the fact young staff are overseeing the operation, rather than having the Innkeeper on site.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank LovinLife4454
OnTheBeachBandB, Owner at On The Beach Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

First I want to sincerely apologize for our slip ups. It is not an excuse but we had several employees leave on abrupt notice, and were having to fill in the best we could until the new staff can be fully trained.
On the sheer curtains, they had been removed to be cleaned and I was not aware that no sheers had been put up as a substitute. the freshly cleaned and pressed sheers are back in the room.
On the slow bath water issue this is the first I had headed of it (in any room). We will have a plumber look at in immediately.
Again we offer our sincere apology, and hopefully you can see from our guest book and other comments that we are always striving to have top level stay for our guests.
sincerely,
Richard Shannon, Owner/manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayucos
Cayucos Shoreline Inn...on the beach
#1 of 12 in Cambria
Cayucos Beach Inn
Cayucos Beach Inn
#3 of 10 in Cayucos

Been to On The Beach Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!