“Awesome Peking Duck and Spicy Salted Pork Chops”

Sam Woo Seafood & BBQ
Ranked #18 of 173 Restaurants in Cerritos
Cuisines: Seafood
Riverside, California
“Awesome Peking Duck and Spicy Salted Pork Chops”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We've been at the Las Vegas branch two times before so we were so excited to try the Cerritos branch. We came here for the food and we were not disappointed. It's not an authentic Chinese restaurant if servers are friendly but they're not that bad at all. Ordered the Peking duck, egg flower soup, spicy salted pork chops, seafood with tofu hot pot, garlic snow peas and shrimp fried rice which are all delicious. We are party of 6 and plenty of leftovers so I am glad to work on them in the next few days. Ordered another egg flower soup to go as my son's favorite. Will definitely come back.

Vashon, Washington
“Family Favorite”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

During undergraduate school (back in the 1970's) I had an internship at Chinatown Service Center. One of my favorite take-out Chinese BBQs was Sam Woo's BBQ. Chinatowns only remain viable when residents are primarily Chinese-speaking and need the convenience of culturally appropriate shops and services. As their children moved out of LA's Chinatown and the racist limits on Chinese immigration were removed the new waves of Chinese settled throughout Southern California. Sam Woo's followed these waves, opening restaurants in Monterey Park, Alhambra and other areas of large Chinese populations.

My mother's favorite Chinese restaurant is Sam Woo's in Cerritos. She and my deceased father owned several Chinese restaurants for over 40 years so our family is very particular about our Chinese food. I do not eat Chinese food outside Chinatowns or in restaurants where the majority of customers are not Chinese. We visit my family 1-2X year and always have at least one meal at Sam Woo's. We are never disappointed, the food is consistently great. Vegetables are still green and crisp, sauces are minimal, and dishes are authentic and not Americanized. I have only had this quality of Chinese food in Hong Kong, Toronto Ont and Vancouver BC. And I must say, the Roast Duck is the best I have ever eaten anywhere, the meat is very very moist and not greasy while the skin is very crisp.

• Visited March 2014
“Over rated”
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Ambience is better than a fast dood place but definitively non as nice as described by other reciews. Service is poor, waiters are not very talkative and smiling. Food is not good cooked and full of same sauce, it all taste the same. Won't be back

Marina del Rey, California
“Great for a group of eight”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Sam Woo’s is always a good choice for a party of five or more. Great selection served family style. However, like all good places it can get fairly crowded from time to time.

• Visited December 2013
Buena Park, California
“authentic”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Its all the about the food. Service is average. Always crowded. Might not always look clean. But the food is awesome. Best Chinese food around the cerritos and north OC area. If you can go for lunch take advantage of the lunch specials. Make reservations for big groups and ask for the private room. Pre-ordering your food makes dining so much faster and you don't starve from all the wonderful smell around you.

• Visited April 2013