“Stayed at north side RV park at Catfish Point”
Review of Lake Almanor

Lake Almanor
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Chester
More attraction details
Owner description: Large, sapphire-blue lake offering excellent trout and salmon fishing opportunities.
Berkeley, California
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Stayed at north side RV park at Catfish Point”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have loved Lassen, "the one and lonely Park," for decades. We camped at a very convenient RV, cabin and tent resort, just up the road from the Bidwell House, going out of town. Clean, convenient, with hot showers and a short walk for a dip in the Lake. They also have a launch ramp and boat slips. Their store is well organized and well stocked with all the essentials.
We spent one day in the Warner Valley, driving up to Drakesbad. From the entrance to the Warner Valley, we drove up a nearby dirt road to Willow Lake. The lake hosts a number of endangered species of bog plants including carnivorous varieties. Speaking of carnivorous, if you plan to picnic, bring bug spray. You can walk in to the lake with your canoe or other watercraft. There are several campsites, mostly used by fishermen. In the afternoon, we visited the former logging town of Westwood. They have a very interesting small museum.

On our second day we explored the old mining ghost town of Seneca and drove along Butt Lake. I have canoed there in the past. The lake is much larger than I remembered. Both Almanor and Butt Lake are dam controlled.

Visited August 2014
3 Thank kathryn76

Sparks, Nevada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Family fun”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

A very good temperature for swimming. Rocky beach so bring water shoes. Great for exploring. Lots of different species of birds including my favorite-pelicans.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank danamanila
Hereford, AZ
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“More serene than Lake Tahoe, with beautiful views”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stumbled upon this pretty lake. We had left Lake Tahoe early that morning and drove north on scenic CA89. I was tired and needed to rest for a bit, and found a day use area/ camp ground of the Lassen Nation Forest on the southwestern side of the lake. We had lunch and walked a bit along the lake, listening to kids scream and a dog bark. Anglers were fishing from non-motorized boats on the lake. I opted to take my dog on a short walk along the lake shore, away from the loud crowd. I saw a bald eagle take off and watched it disappear into the blue sky. Then I stumbled upon the Lake Almanor Recreation Trail, a paved multi-use trail that starts at the Rocky Point Campground. I could see Mount Lassen from this campground. Altogether we spent three relaxing hours here, three hours that were unplanned on our drive across northeastern California on CA89. What a lovely surprise this was! This lake is ideal for kids, dogs, anglers and those wanting something more relaxing than Lake Tahoe. The nearby town of Chester offers more amenities.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank conniegum
Fremont, California
3,463 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2,727 helpful votes
“Nice Lake for Vacations and Fishing”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is a nice lake close to Mount Lassen National Park. It is close to Chester. There is lodging around the lake and we have enjoyed dining in restaurants alongside the lake. In particular we have enjoyed fishing in the lake and catching trout. We have done this from shore.

Visited September 2013
Providence, Rhode Island
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Easy walk in”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

to the lake. Quiet contemplative place. No boats on the lake. If you climb the mountains in Lassen Park, you will see Lake Almanor in the distance. Beautiful.

Visited June 2014