“An overlooked jewel.”
Review of Lake Almanor

Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Chester
More attraction details
Owner description: Large, sapphire-blue lake offering excellent trout and salmon fishing opportunities.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Lake Almanor is a large lake located in Northern California. It is located very close to Lassen Volcanic Park. The area is very beautiful with many opertunities for camping, fishing, swimming, whatever you would like to do. You do not have to deal with the high costs and crowds of Lake Tahoe. If you are visting the US, you may want to take the time to get away from the crowds and head to a overlooked jewel in Northern California.

2  Thank Robski60
"enjoy the beauty"
"largest town"
"rocky beach"

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have loved Lassen, "the one and lonely Park," for decades. We camped at a very convenient RV, cabin and tent resort, just up the road from the Bidwell House, going out of town. Clean, convenient, with hot showers and a short walk for a dip in the Lake. They also have a launch ramp and boat slips. Their store is well organized and well stocked with all the essentials.
We spent one day in the Warner Valley, driving up to Drakesbad. From the entrance to the Warner Valley, we drove up a nearby dirt road to Willow Lake. The lake hosts a number of endangered species of bog plants including carnivorous varieties. Speaking of carnivorous, if you plan to picnic, bring bug spray. You can walk in to the lake with your canoe or other watercraft. There are several campsites, mostly used by fishermen. In the afternoon, we visited the former logging town of Westwood. They have a very interesting small museum.

On our second day we explored the old mining ghost town of Seneca and drove along Butt Lake. I have canoed there in the past. The lake is much larger than I remembered. Both Almanor and Butt Lake are dam controlled.

3  Thank kathryn76
Reviewed 24 July 2014

A very good temperature for swimming. Rocky beach so bring water shoes. Great for exploring. Lots of different species of birds including my favorite-pelicans.

2  Thank danamanila
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stumbled upon this pretty lake. We had left Lake Tahoe early that morning and drove north on scenic CA89. I was tired and needed to rest for a bit, and found a day use area/ camp ground of the Lassen Nation Forest on the southwestern side of the lake. We had lunch and walked a bit along the lake, listening to kids scream and a dog bark. Anglers were fishing from non-motorized boats on the lake. I opted to take my dog on a short walk along the lake shore, away from the loud crowd. I saw a bald eagle take off and watched it disappear into the blue sky. Then I stumbled upon the Lake Almanor Recreation Trail, a paved multi-use trail that starts at the Rocky Point Campground. I could see Mount Lassen from this campground. Altogether we spent three relaxing hours here, three hours that were unplanned on our drive across northeastern California on CA89. What a lovely surprise this was! This lake is ideal for kids, dogs, anglers and those wanting something more relaxing than Lake Tahoe. The nearby town of Chester offers more amenities.

1  Thank conniegum