“Best Kept Dinner Secret In Chico”
Review of Monks Wine Bar - CLOSED

Monks Wine Bar
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 11 February 2014

While I dropped in for appetizers, was pleasantly surprised to find a full Dinner Menu. Very good food, would strongly recommend.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Took my daughter here for her birthday. The pasta is very good. A little expensive, but the quality was good. We came during happy hour so got a little bit of a break on the wine. Nice place to go to eat for a special occasion.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

The positives:
My husband, who "doesn't eat salad" LOVES the salad with the chardonnay mustard dressing.
Very nice selection of wines and beers.
Nice Atmosphere.
Typically good food.
The negatives:
The prices are too high.
I could live with the prices if the service was not so unpredictable. My husband and I have walked in, sat at the small bar, right in front of what appeared to be the owner, and waited for 20 minutes without even being greeted (we left)! Other times the service has been incredibly slow, they have been understaffed on a Saturday night (one waiter that I could see at 6pm) and one of their sommelier's was very snooty.
I write this review not to damage Monk's reputation but in hopes that they will improve their customer service and offer either lower prices or more specials. My husband and I would very much like to spend more time at Monk's but can't justify it at this tiime.

2  Thank Andrewtina
Reviewed 14 April 2013

My dear friend a d I stopped by on a Friday evening, no reservation but the lady said that was not a problem and we were taken to the patio at the back. Charming setting...which was fortunate as we had almost a forty minute wait before anyone spoke to us again. Huge apologies for the "delay", a scanty pour of a nice wine, still no water, napkin, fork, spoon...nada.
We grabbed her the next pass thru and ordered FOOD. Disappointing presentation and still without napkin, fork...we picked at our food until some one got close enough to help us with silverware. No water, "oh so sorry" numerous times.
Found the service deplorable, food mediocre and the lock on the all-gender bathroom door to NOT work. Other than all of that Mrs Lincoln, the evening was lovely.

1  Thank Nancy G
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I've known about monks for awhile now and I finally went in for dinner to treat my parents. What a perfect place for a Chico night! Had our pick of being able to people watch out the front window or be cozy in their new dining area. We chose people watching, although I must admit, the walker by-ers never took away from the amazing food that was infront of us. Started with Monk's meatball appetizer which was a hit especially with a beer I had never had before, called Buddah Beer! It was delightful, and my new favorite. From there we shared the Smokin Prawns in a creamy bacon cream sauce. Yes, it is as delicious as it sounds. And finally came our entrees. I can't even remember what my parents had because I was too busy licking my plate. The New Chef there had prepared an italian Surf and Turf of Lamb and Lobster! Both proteins were cokked perfectly, in a delicious sun dried tomato butter, with truffle and parmesan fingerling potatoes and grilled asparagus. I can't stop thinking about that meal. Still amazingly had enough room for a bit of Banana Fosters Bread Pudding...YUM! After seeing their Valentine's Day Menu and other upcoming events planned, will definitely make Monk's my regular Chico evening hotspot! Thanks fro a great Meal!