“Someone should burn this place down!”
Review of University Inn

University Inn
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Chico
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Unless you like cockroaches, dont come here! The rooms were DISGUSTING as well as the shower. I wish i would have slept in my car. All they have is instant coffee and its NOT in your room. The towels were straight nasty. I dont think the clerk at the front desk even knew how to speak english. There were gangsters and prostitutes outside asking where the nearest motel 6 was so they could "do the deed." There were tweakers upstairs blasting country music during the early hours of the morning. Im pretty sure the beds gave me gonorrhea. I hated it! Dont come here!!! Not worth it.

• Stayed: October 2013
4  Thank Vagabondsucks
htlboss, Owner at University Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

I'm certainly sorry to hear you were so put off by your stay at our inn, but I appreciate you taking the time to let me know what you think. Nothing is more important to us than our guests' health and safety, so the last thing we want is for anyone to feel uncomfortable in our rooms. Please know that I plan on sharing your feedback with our housekeeping and maintenance staffs; it'll serve as an important reminder that we can always do better!

Reviewed 8 October 2013

OK, so it's not Marriott or Starwood, but then if you could afford those you wouldn't be reading this.

I can't explain the bad reviews --- maybe I lucked up with the nicest room.
I certainly didn't feel "ripped off."

Run by a very friendly (to me, anyway) family led by Mohommad, the Vagabond Inn Chico presents a clean, basic accommodation at a MUCH cheaper rate than the nearby Courtyard and Residence Inns by Marriott. Of course the furnishings aren't as nice either, being a bit older & more warn. But the bed was very comfortably, the linens clean.

While there's a similar class motel across Main Street probably at competitive rates, that one doesn't have the clean, well, kept pool that sets Vagabond just a notch higher.

Franchise-run operations can be disappointing, and I had some disappointing experiences with some of them, but not this one. Mohommad & family do a great job making the daily rounds and ensuring guests have what they need.

This is an older motel, so there will be the predicable maintenance snafu (my window wouldn't close completely, leaving a half-inch gap) but, again for the price -- not unreasonable. For the most part, the paint & paper are fresh, the carpets vacuumed, and the plumbing all in working condition.

One drawback are any celebratory weekends --- Chico is a college town, and big enough to get road show Pop/Rock band appearances, and when the kids come in for weekend party/show visits, the cost-effective motel gem fills up. And the kids come & go all night and gather in the parking lot with some loud conversation.

To their credit, when I stuck my head out & asked them to keep it down, they cooperated without animosity. During the weekday nights, all was quiet, but for the weekends I would suggest to Mohammad that he put a watchman on to ride herd on the weekend riots.

Room Tip: Upstairs, especially if it's a weekend, and in the wing next to the office, the proximity of whi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Harquer
htlboss, Owner at University Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

That's a great idea, Harquer! Thanks for pointing to the noise on busy weekends in your review. We're always looking for ways we can improve the overall guest experience, and having someone on hand to patrol our parking lot, etc., at night is certainly a way to do that. If you have any other helpful suggestions, feel free to send them my way!

Thanks again,
Mohammad

Reviewed 10 August 2013

The Vagabond Inn is probably the WORST hotel I've ever stayed at! Granted the room itself was fairly decent, even though the toilet leaked everywhere. The main problem was the service. My husband and I have been stranded in California because our car and money were stolen. We had a little over $160.00 left when we came to the Vegabond Inn for 2 nights. They said they had smoking rooms available with a fridge and a microwave which is what I reserved over the phone. We I got there and the young man behind the counter didn't speak English at all. He had to run get his father. Then they said that they didn't have any smoking room; a minor annoyance but we were tired and went with it, we didn't mind smoking outside with the beautiful weather. When we got to the room there was no fridge, no microwave, and only 20 channels on the TV. Later on, I was checking my debit card statement online and on top of charging me for the normal price of a room with the fridge, they placed a $50 deposit on my card which I knew NOTHING about. It was never even mentioned to me and is nowhere on their website. The people who ran the place told me that my card would only be charged if we smoked in the room (WHICH WE DIDN'T DO). When we checked out, we made sure that he didn't smell smoke and he agreed that there was no smoke smell and the money should be back on that day. It's been over 36 hours and the last $50 I had to my name is STILL not on my debit card. The reciept they gave me didn't have any mention of a charge. The customer service people for the company also have yet to return my calls. Another man also had a smilar problem. He was charged $100 and smoked outside his room. Though he did leave the AC running and the door open, he didn't actually smoke inside the room. The poor man even called the police regarding this problem and was still made to pay. I do think that the staff could have spoken to him regarding smoking with the door open instead of ignoring it and charging him for nearly the same price of a 2 night stay. These people take advantage of people who have been in bad situations. Meth is smoked freely INSIDE those hotel rooms and they aren't charged extra, but cigarette smokers are charged rediculous amounts even when rules are followed.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank annakitty81
htlboss, Owner at University Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2013

Rest assured that we would never, under any circumstances, take advantage of our guests, nor do we tolerate drug use on our property. While I am sorry for the confusion the $50 charge caused, I want you to know we in no way meant to confuse or frustrate you. I apologize if you felt like we were trying to pull the wool over your eyes; I guarantee that wasn't our intention.

Has the money been refunded to your debit card? If not, please give me a call; I'm committed to making sure this issue gets resolved.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

My son and I stayed just one night while visiting the college campus. The service was good and the room was clean. The only complaint was that the toilet was a little low and wiggled, but no other complaints. I will definitely stay there when I come to visit!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Leslie S

Thanks for staying with us, Leslie! I appreciate you reminding us about the problems you had with your toilet. I think you'll be happy to hear our staff has since taken care of it!

Until next time,

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Yes, it was an unfortunate experience. For the same cost, I went around the corner to Heritage Inn. Microwave, refrigerator, and a lot more than just warm water and packets of instant coffee, and cellophane snacks for breakfast. My friends in town kidded me for staying at the Vagabond, apparently this place was a dump in the 80's when we were college students and I didn't even know. I'm sorry my 16 year old daughter had to see this place. We WERE going to check out Chico College but now she's seen too much.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
5  Thank Loisann S

I'm sorry to hear that too, Loisann. We consider ours a great place to stay in Chico, so the last thing we want is for anyone to get the wrong impression of our standards and values. Although I'm disappointed we ultimately lost your business, I appreciate your candid feedback; I know it will only help us to improve.

Regards,

Reviewed 15 March 2013

We took a group of high school seniors here to visit the university. We weren't expecting much. We just wanted a basic, clean space for them to sleep. It wasn't remotely acceptable even for this purpose. There were roaches in the rooms. The sheets were stained with what looked like blood. The curtains were shredded to bits and there was mold on the walls! What a nightmare. The health department should shut this place down. I wish you could give a zero rating.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Lselkins

Thanks for taking the time to follow up with us after your stay. The conditions you described in your review are in no way acceptable, nor do they fall in line with our standards for health and safety. Please know that we're actively working to correct these problems, and we really appreciate your feedback on the matter.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 13 March 2013

Hotel is right in the centre of Chico with plenty of parking. We received a very warm welcome from the manager who did the utmost to make sure we had everything we needed including bags of continental breakfast and a good discount. Room was clean with good facilities and perfect for two tired and dusty travelers.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cafsoul

Thanks for staying with us! It's great to hear you got just the R&R you needed on your trip. I hope you'll keep us in mind next time you're passing through Chico!

Safe travels,