“Suprisingly Good” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Chico
Visalia, CA
“Suprisingly Good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

Acceptable option for a stay in downtown Chico. Was not our first choice - tried to get in at Htoel Diamond (did visit that property and will stay there next time with a little more advance notice). Listen - this is not a 3 or 4 star hotel...and probaly the 2 star designation is fair. It is old and tired - but was under $100/night and right downtown - a good option for Chico as that is where you want to be and to be able to walk (not drive!! - if you get my drift).

It was clean and amzaingly quiet...we expected much worse. If you stay here, don't expect luxury and you'll be fine...the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jhmvis
ABVI T, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Thank you for your comment, we value your thoughts...We strive to improve every day to make your stay as comfortable as possible. We hope to see you again soon :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Chico, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

This extenderd stay best value Inn was definately undermanaged...I travel for my work and never should have stayed.. the hotels with the same rates appeared worse with no pool ... so I chose to stay until I could rent... for 2 horrible weeks..I called police for the continuous use of the pool by homeless and crack heads... who had no rooms there.... they were clothes bicycles hair feet and faces filthy.. they would disrobe and bathe inthe pool .. with numerous complaints to staff that were disregarded... I refused to swim after their filthiness ( I paid 62 dollars a nite for their bathes) most had no teeth and were in the dumpster daily and nightly eating directly from the garbage dumpster.. the gate was never locked and the dumpster had no lock... this is not family oriented.... stay away.,... its way too much money for a very poor part of town....

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank notacrackhead
ABVI T, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Dear Guest,
You forgot to mention how we helped you out when you came in with no money and needed someone else to pay for your room. We took you in and gave you a discounted rate, and waited for someone to pay for your room. You said nothing but good things about us when you were here. Downtown Chico is an awsome and convenient location for our hotel. We do have ongoing Security to deal with anyone that is not supposed to be here, but to be honest you are over exageratling. That is not the kind of establishment that we are running. Management has very high standards. You did not stay 2 weeks. You stayed 3 weeks with us. I don't think you would have stayed 3 weeks if your stay was so miserable. We do thank you for your comments and for your business. We hope everything is going well with you new job. Best Regards....

Travellers are raving about these Chico hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

We rolled in pretty late on Tuesday, July 24. We tried to get a few different rooms at different hotels.... All of which told me to kick rocks. (I had a credit card stolen a week ago). The night manager went ABOVE AND BEYOND to get my buddy and I a room. After being treated like scum everywhere else, it was awesome to be treated like a human being again. Stellar.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Nathan_blac
Thank you, we have been receiving great comments on all of our staff. We value your business and hope you can visit us again very soon. Best Regards...
Chico, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

I stayed over the weekend. The rates were reasonable and the room and location was ideal. Walking distance to all downtown venues and the college, nice small pool and a nice staff that will point you to the best Chico has to offer. Clean room and small continental breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank David P
Carmel, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

We were on vacation at Lake Almanor and had car trouble and were towed to the VW dealer in Chico. This inn was one block away from the VW dealer and we needed a place to stay while the car was repaired. My wife is very aleregic to cigarette smoke and mold/mildew and the hotel manager was very understanding. After the first night the manager arranged for the ashtray to be moved from out in front of our non-smoking room so that we could have the window open, and had the airconditioner filter changed and cleaned. Moving the ashtray was the biggest improvement as we were able to have fresh air with the window open. They also let us have a late check-out due to the car not being ready until the afternoon of the second day. Management did everything they could to make our unplanned stay as comfortable as possible.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Don I
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012 via mobile

We were in town for mothers day and stay here. Very nice and clean rooms for the price. Enjoyed the free breakfast and WiFi. Our room had a great whirlpool like tub that was great after our long hike in the park. The front desk person was very helpful with directions and things to do in chico. Also was nice to be in walking distance of downtown shopping

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank jw1776
ABVI T, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments which are encouraging and keeps up happy and always improving for your comfort when you stay with us. Best Regards!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012 via mobile

DO NOT STAY HERE! I just left the hotel. When I checked in, the manager was on the phone. I stood there for sveral minutes before she even acknowledged me. Still on the phone, she rudely snatched the printout of the reservation that I brought with me from my hands and still did not say a word. She was on the phone the entire time mumbling nothing but "uh-huh". Our room (214) was very small, dirty, and it had a really bad odor to it. The curtains did not close all the way so I had to use my hair clip to clip them together. The bathroom was dirty and dark and the shower head was filthy. Because I was too tired from my flight, I fell asleep for two hours only to be waken up by my sister telling me to get up out of bed because there were bed bugs. I woke up to a BUNCH of little black bugs all over my pillow and blankets! I quickly called the front desk with no answer! We packed our things and talked to the employee there who was also very disgusted but handled the situation very well. He called the manager/owner (woman on the phone) who refused to give me a full refund. I was able to speak with her and her reason for not giving me a refund was because "you already stayed there so many hours." I checked in around 4pm and checked out at 12:30am. I was very close to calling the cops because she was being extremely difficult but she finally had the employee void the room transaction.

The owner does not appreciate her customers or the business as a whole. Value means nothing when you find yourself psychologically destroyed with thoughts of bugs living in your hair and crawling on your body.

We quickly called Oxford Suites, also located in Chico. The front desk staff treated us extremely well and even gave me a discount on my rates! Their rooms are spacious and clean! GO THERE INSTEAD!!

I couldn't feel more disgusted right now by the room and the owner.

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank nalthao
ABVI T, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Dear Guest,
I have to disagree with your misleading and false reviews. There are times when the desk clerk will be on another call helping a customer before you, but it doesn't mean that you will be ignored. Here at ABVI Chico we are known for our attentive service. Both of these negative reviews are yours except that in one you stayed for two hours but on your second one you stayed for over 8 hours. Any hotel would be reluctant to give you a refund for staying over 8 hours, and by the way it was over 8 hours. Your room was inspected and was found to be clean and no bugs of any kind. We have excellent value, clean, and comfortable rooms for all our guests.