“Serviceable hotel saved the day”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Chico
Sacramento, California
“Serviceable hotel saved the day”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

The thing for me to remember about Chico is that the university activities can cause an accommodation shortage. I waited until late make a hotel reservation and after many online attempts was relieved to find space at America's Best Value Inn. It was spartan, outdated and had one of those creepy flowered bedspreads in the smoking allowed room. I was more grateful for the accommodations than ready to pick on the place for the smell of tobacco. Even so, it was clean. We were on the back side of the hotel and it was noisy for much of the night ( probably worse on the front side) which seems to be on a popular route for loud vehicles.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank ready2go14
ABVI T, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 13 October 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for your business and your feedback. Cleanliness is a top priority. Sorry that a smoking room is all we had left. Weekends are especially busy for us so reservations in advance is always the way to go. I hope that you enjoyed your trip to Chico.

--Best Regards--

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012 via mobile

I visited Americas best value inn in chico, last weekend while visiting the college campus. I enjoyed my stay very much. The staff was awesome in helping me find places to eat and things to do in chico. The room was clean and I loved the whirlpool in my room. Don't understand why there is bad reviews for this motel because I had a great experience. Will go back again soon I'm sure.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank jw1776
ABVI T, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 6 October 2012
Hi, we were delighted to host you, and hoped that you enjoyed your day at Chico State University, it is a great school. Hope to see you again soon :)
Visalia, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

I found this property on the internet. I chose to book a room at this property as the photos of the room and pool appeared decent. I needed a room that would accomodate my four teenaged girls and two small dogs that was close to Chico State University (we were visiting the college). I should have checked this website first but did not as we decided to take this trip last minute. The place was a nightmare. The hotel room was old and dated, and it looked dirty and had a nasty, wierd smell. It appeared that the grout in the very small bathroom was originally white but was black on the date of our stay. My daughter decided to lay down on the carpet to do her homework, but quickly got up and said the carpet smelled like urine. There were crack heads hanging out outside one of the rooms. Outside another room, dirty construction men gawked at me and my teenaged girls and made dirty comments. A disgusting older man two rooms away from ours kept his window curtains about a foot open while he pranced around the room completely naked. It appeared the pool had not been cleaned in a while. I do not recommend this place and would not stay there again myself.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank kaylalily t
ABVI T, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Thank you for your comments. Our maintenance staff shampoos the carpets regularly. We do appreciate you letting us know about something as important as cleanliness so that we can look into it if it hasn't been done. We do not allow any type of unrespectful and bizarre behavior by other guests. If anyone was being disrespectful to you or your family, had you told us we would have promply taken care of it. We did not hear from you during your stay at all, but we are sorry that you did not have the best experience. Unfortunately, it is impossible to control other peoples' actions all the time but any time we know of something going on, we take care of it right away.

--Best Regards--

Travellers are raving about these Chico hotels

Visalia, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

Acceptable option for a stay in downtown Chico. Was not our first choice - tried to get in at Htoel Diamond (did visit that property and will stay there next time with a little more advance notice). Listen - this is not a 3 or 4 star hotel...and probaly the 2 star designation is fair. It is old and tired - but was under $100/night and right downtown - a good option for Chico as that is where you want to be and to be able to walk (not drive!! - if you get my drift).

It was clean and amzaingly quiet...we expected much worse. If you stay here, don't expect luxury and you'll be fine...the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jhmvis
Thank you for your comment, we value your thoughts...We strive to improve every day to make your stay as comfortable as possible. We hope to see you again soon :)
Chico, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

This extenderd stay best value Inn was definately undermanaged...I travel for my work and never should have stayed.. the hotels with the same rates appeared worse with no pool ... so I chose to stay until I could rent... for 2 horrible weeks..I called police for the continuous use of the pool by homeless and crack heads... who had no rooms there.... they were clothes bicycles hair feet and faces filthy.. they would disrobe and bathe inthe pool .. with numerous complaints to staff that were disregarded... I refused to swim after their filthiness ( I paid 62 dollars a nite for their bathes) most had no teeth and were in the dumpster daily and nightly eating directly from the garbage dumpster.. the gate was never locked and the dumpster had no lock... this is not family oriented.... stay away.,... its way too much money for a very poor part of town....

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank notacrackhead
ABVI T, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Dear Guest,
You forgot to mention how we helped you out when you came in with no money and needed someone else to pay for your room. We took you in and gave you a discounted rate, and waited for someone to pay for your room. You said nothing but good things about us when you were here. Downtown Chico is an awsome and convenient location for our hotel. We do have ongoing Security to deal with anyone that is not supposed to be here, but to be honest you are over exageratling. That is not the kind of establishment that we are running. Management has very high standards. You did not stay 2 weeks. You stayed 3 weeks with us. I don't think you would have stayed 3 weeks if your stay was so miserable. We do thank you for your comments and for your business. We hope everything is going well with you new job. Best Regards....
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

We rolled in pretty late on Tuesday, July 24. We tried to get a few different rooms at different hotels.... All of which told me to kick rocks. (I had a credit card stolen a week ago). The night manager went ABOVE AND BEYOND to get my buddy and I a room. After being treated like scum everywhere else, it was awesome to be treated like a human being again. Stellar.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Nathan_blac
Thank you, we have been receiving great comments on all of our staff. We value your business and hope you can visit us again very soon. Best Regards...
Chico, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

I stayed over the weekend. The rates were reasonable and the room and location was ideal. Walking distance to all downtown venues and the college, nice small pool and a nice staff that will point you to the best Chico has to offer. Clean room and small continental breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends