“Good for a party”

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Chico
Santa Monica, California
“Good for a party”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Stayed here for the first time last week. Good location, decent room but the whole motel turned into a college party lasting well past 3 am. Yes, it was a holiday weekend but really....should we all be subject to screaming, loud music and swimming in the pool all hours? Sorry, ABV but you don't get my business again! You didn't care enough about your non-partying customers who were trying to sleep. And we found it strange that the swimming pool had a notice sign posted about people with diarrhea needing to keep out....GROSS!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 88jet88
ABVI T, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Dear Guest, we are very sorry you weren't satisfied with your stay. Labor day weekend was a bit noisy, but it was not party central. There was no loud music playing and no one getting out of hand. The pool sign that we have posted is actually a requirement from the county for all pools, not just ours. We certainly do care and appreciate all of our guests.

Best Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chico, California
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The staff was friendly, the check-in was prompt, and the room had everything I needed. Also convenient was the location: it's nearby downtown where all the restaurants are, banks, the post office - all within walking distance.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
ABVI T, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Dear Guest. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our service and location. Thank you for your input and hope to see you again very soon
The Colony, Texas
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Somehow I got booked in to a smoking room even though I've never smoked and always ask for non-smoking rooms, but I ended up with a smoking room. When I asked for a non-smoking room the person behind the counter said she couldn't do it. She spent several minutes on the computer and gave up.
OK, it was late, I was hot and tired and needed a place to clean up, cool off, and sleep so I took the room.
Although the web site said they had wifi, it wasn't working.
And strangely, all the smoke and fire alarms had been removed from the room. The wires were just sticking out of the ceiling and wall.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank dougboone
ABVI T, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Dear Travelor,
We are very sorry to hear about your experience. We encourage everyone booking, especially from third party sites like expedia, orbitz etc.. to always make sure that you are booking a non-smoking room. A lot of times these sites only guarantee you a room, but they won't guarantee a non-smoking room. If we have a non-smoking room available, we are delighted to accommodate you accordingly. In the event this is not possible, than there is not much we can do. All of our rooms come with smoke detectors. Had you let us known your room did not have one. We would have installed one right away. We certainly thank you for your feedback and your business. Best Regards

Travellers are raving about these Chico hotels

Valley Center, California, United States
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Upon checking in we were greeted by a young man who immediately made us feel welcome and expected. As we were checking in we were told about the continental breakfast offered in the morning. We really enjoyed this as we are travelling and the fresh coffee, juice, fruits, cereal and danishes got our vacation days off to a relaxed and fun start. In the room we were pleasantly surprised to see a small refrigerator which we were able to save money by eating some meals in our room. We enjoyed the local restaurants daily and were able to bring back left over to heat in the microwave that this Americas Best Value Inn also has in each room. There is a coffee maker in the room and they provide an excellent coffee to brew in the room. The rooms are very clean and tidy, new carpets and nice furniture. Nice pillows and bedding....very important to me! The maids were polite and accomodating. Television complete with movie channels and remote control...I love HBO. The internet is the fastest i have ever experienced. Really enjoying this internet connection as i can explore all that this area has to offer online. Love this location as it is in walking distance to the quaint downtown Chico. This is a town of bicyclers and people out for evening strolls among the cute little downtown shops. Right across the street from here is a Natural Food store. You know how that attracts those holistic health minded people. Within walking distance are several art galleries and little event gathering spots. Good family fun! For those of us that love mexican food i was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Mexican Restaurant 3 minutes walking time away. Met the owner of this ABVI and she wanted to make sure we were satisfied with our stay. So satisfied I had to leave a review! My family and I will be back here for summer events here in town. There are Concerts in the park on Friday and Saturday early evenings, all summer long and a Farmers Market that is more like a big family gathering every Thursday afternoon and Saturday mornings both of these are within walking distance from this Americas Best Value Inn!

Room Tip: they are very accomodating to your need at this Americas Best Value Inn here in Chico. We had speci...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank SodashiDevi
ABVI T, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Dear Guest:
We were delighted to have you stay with us, we hope to see again very soon. Thank you for sharing, enjoy your summer...
Reno, NV
Reviewed 3 May 2013

This place used to be a Days Inn, and unlike other ABVI properties that I've stayed at, hasn't seen much improvement since its takeover. Location is decent, being very close to downtown Chico. It's also VERY noisy because you're at the intersection of two major streets and close to frat and sorority houses; not much you can do about that other than being prepared to deal with it (good earplugs!). Room was clean, no issues with check-in or check-out. Wireless Internet worked OK, although for some reason I kept having to 'sign in'. Forget about the free continental breakfast and walk across the street to the Tin Roof Bakery.

In 2009 and 2010 I did two long scooter trips down the California coast to visit all the old missions. Since I traveled in early May, I was making reservations as I went along and ended-up at several Americas Best Value properties (made an effort to avoid big chain motels). Seems like the franchise locates bargain places for sale, renovates them, and rebrands as ABVI. Every one of them was a real 'find'. All were unique, and I can honestly say that they were a real value. This place in Chico, not so much.

Room Tip: Upstairs MIGHT be a little quieter than downstairs, but I doubt it.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank twowheelsReno
ABVI T, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us. We're glad that we were able to meet your needs and would like to thank you for your feedback as it helps us to continue improving.
California, United States
Reviewed 27 April 2013

This is the worst place I've ever stayed in HANDS DOWN. Never before have I had such an unpleasant stay at a motel. Here we are (12:18AM), just really getting into our deep sleep when BANG!!! We hear a huge loud noise. It was a group of three, thug looking gangsters (complete with du-rags and all) who had opened our door. They acted like it was their room and I told them leave, and after about a minute of deliberation they did. It was the most distressing thing when you are supposed to feel and be secure in your room to have this happen. When I complained to management they refused to give me my money back and only refunded me for the next day that I had reserved. Bottom line. This place is terrible. Terrible management, turns out when I talked to people in the area they have a terrible reputation, terrible rooms, scary people came into my room (never thought that'd happen to me). This place just sucks. Stay away from it.
You've been warned.

Room Tip: Rooms anywhere else will be better. Makes a motel 6 feel like a 5 star.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jjordanbaird
ABVI T, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We encourage every problem to be reported right away so that we can investigate the issue right away. However, we did not hear from anyone in your party at all until checkout. At checkout, you told us that someone tried to get into your room but they were not able to because you had your security latch on. Our doors do come equipped with an electronic lock, a deadbolt, and a security latch. The deadbolts and the security latch prevent anyone from entering the room, even if they somehow had a key. Our goal is your complete satisfaction, but at the morning of check out, we were unable to refund your night directly because you had booked your room through a third party site. However, we made sure that third party refunded your full stay. We have confirmed with them that you received that credit.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

In all my years of travel, I can not remember staying in a worse place. The door has patched bullet holes. The walls show evidence of punch hole repairs. The room had one queen bed when we reserved two queens. The doors barely close. The pillows are cheap and overstuffed. The hotel is noisy, dirty and dumpy! Yuck!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Travellots4fun
ABVI T, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Hello, please know that your feedback is valued as we continue to improve. We do have high standards to adhere to as a franchise and our quality assurance inspections and can assure you there are no bullet holes in our doors. Chico is a very safe place to be. Even if we are downtown, Chico is known for one of the most unique and inviting down towns. I am not sure if you needed two beds, why would you stay in a room with one bed. We do have one and two beds available for your convenience and are always able to give you what you need. Our goal is to have take care of you so you will want to come back. Thank you for your feedback.