“Best budget stay in Chico”

Heritage Inn Express Chico
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Chico
Red Bluff, California
“Best budget stay in Chico”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

It's an older motel, as has been mentioned in other reviews, so if you're looking for luxury lodgings keep looking. They don't pretend to be the Ritz here. However, it was a perfectly comfortable, clean uneventful visit for my family of four. Yes the carpets are a tad shabby, no big deal. They are still passably clean, no black feet for any of us. The linens were surprisingly soft and comfortable which more than made up for the slight datedness in my opinion. They even brought us a fold-up crib for the baby with two extra sheets that were velvety soft and smelled freshly cleaned. The service was wonderfully friendly and helpful, the TV worked just fine, the beds were comfy and the night was peaceful and quiet. My daughter thoroughly enjoyed the swimming pool, and we were just glad it wasn't horribly over-chlorinated like the last hotel we stayed at.

Word to the wise, if you are concerned about shady people and police scuffles at night, DON'T STAY ANYWHERE in downtown Chico on a weekend, particularly during the school year. It's a college town folks, it's not the hotel's fault... But in the summer, on a Wednesday night, the Heritage Express was prefect for us. Even the "continental" breakfast was miles better than most. They had everything short of a hot breakfast and didn't mind me bringing the food back to the room, they even helped me find an empty box so I could carry back enough for my kids.

If you're looking for a place in the downtown area but are on a budget, I highly recommend the Heritage Inn Express. Clean, comfy, friendly folks. I didn't have a single complaint about our stay :-)

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pacificpyro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
SF Bay Area, CA
Reviewed 23 June 2014

If you're expecting something fancy you're in the wrong place. The motel is clean, but dated. People I met were nice. Bed comfortable. Shower good. Pool small but wet. We just spent one night.

The breakfast isn't anything to write home about. Cereal, some pastries and bagels. There is oatmeal too, but there is no measuring cup. They could improve their breakfast easily by simply adding a bowl of fruit, a measuring cup, and a pitcher of ice water.

Location is downtown and an easy walk to restaurants and bars, especially on a warm summer night. Also relatively close to the college.

I didn't see any of the issues mentioned. The motel was clean. The carpet is old, it's true, but it seemed clear to me. Sure, it could use an update, but < $70 a night, I'm not paying for brand-new furniture and carpets. As long as it's clean and the people are nice, you're good. At least, IMHO, that's what you should be expecting in this price range.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I know I am a light sleeper, but even sound heavy sleepers would be waken up by guns going off. After making the decision not to check out the previous evening at check in based on complete lack of cleanliness, the last thing we needed to wake up for is someone getting shot at and police everywhere. It was a scene from a horror film where we took cover because we thought a bullet was about to come in the room and kills one of us. Later that day I made sure to watch the news and sure enough they thought this was drug related. They have shady people all over staying at this hotel. Please be safe and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Noisy room and kind of gross rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jordan T

Travellers are raving about these Chico hotels

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at this motel for one night. The first thing I noticed was that even though it's supposed to be a non-smoking motel, the room had a faint smell of stale cigarette smoke. Then I started noticing things like dried food on the armchair, dirty carpet, and unpainted patched areas on the bathroom walls. A minor thing, but we thought it was strange that there was no place to hang a hand towel in the bathroom sink nook. Also, the bed was uncomfortably firm. And then there was the "complimentary breakfast." The cereal dispensers were empty, there was a who-knows-how-old English muffin stuck in the toaster that my husband had to dig out, and they didn't have any regular black tea. Really??? We ended up leaving without having breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We have stayed here previously and it has always been okay. I have no idea what is going on but it has gone downhill fast. We opened the door and the number fell off the door. The room was absolutely filthy. The furniture bare shreds and stained. It looks like they picked it up off the curb in front of a frat house that was throwing it away. I didn't even want to walk bare foot on the carpet it was so stained. The outdoor halls and stairs don't look like that have been cleaned in quite sometime.(sticky and stained, stepping over spills). The people hanging around the hotel office at night and in the hall way during the day were sketchy. Office staff was friendly and available. When I mentioned upon check out the condition of the room I was told that they are remodeling the lobby and just finished the parking lot and are painting the exterior. WHY on earth would they begin there? people care more about the room they are sleeping in than the outer areas. Quite honestly the only thing they have going for them is the location which is convenient for walking downtown and is close to campus. For us it was our last stay, just couldn't handle the filth.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank traveltoday707
Bodega
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Warning: This will be long because we could not sleep here, and therefore had much time to think and plan this review.
Full disclosure: We stayed 2 nights at the beginning of the Chico school year and staff at the hotel seemed to think this explained the all night partying that kept us awake. But there were no students at the motel, except for a few grade school children who probably had as much trouble trying to sleep as we did. They all seemed like great kids. Living in a motel has to be hard and it looked to me like they were doing a good job. My room key didn't work at first and they told me how to finesse it.
Main complaint: Not possible to sleep here. When we stayed, there seemed to be many long-term residents who stay up all night talking, yelling, shouting, going door to door to hang and talk and party all night outside all the rooms. None of this seemed malevolent, just very loud all night. Asking people to shut up had little effect, as new people came marching up banging on doors and/or hanging out talking a blue streak in front of every room.
In the morning, since they were tired and grumpy from not sleeping all night some of these same partiers began arguing about 6 AM, again very loudly. Hotel staff came to yell at them to go into their rooms, but this just resulted in the voices of twice as many people yelling. The point is there was no possibility of sleeping at this motel except maybe between the hours of 4 AM and 6 AM.
Saturday night was the worst. Two gentlemen held a conference after 2 AM in spanish directly in front of our window and when we asked them to quiet down they ran off. Why do people have skulls tattooed on their skulls anyway? Does this not seem redundant?
Then things got louder and my wife was driven to shout profanity. This was effective for a few seconds, till someone replied: "No reason to be disrespectful." This seemed to me the worst of it. these people felt so entitled that waking us up from sleep at 3:00 in the morning is not disrespectful, but trying to get people to shut up and respect our need to sleep IS disrespectful. It did get a bit quieter then, until a girl came banging on doors looking for who knows what. You could hear her puzzling over the do not disturb sign on the door before she banged on it anyway. Was she looking for drugs? Was she a prostitute? Hopefully we will never know.
We asked staff about these loud non-sleeping long-term residents and we were told that they were not long-term residents but that they were "extended stay" residents and that they could only stay for 10 nights, then they had to go somewhere else one night and then could come back for 10 more nights, etc.
For us, this opened more questions than answers. These people all seemed to be chain smokers and sat or paced outside their rooms constantly smoking. Doing the math I was thinking these must be very wealthy people. At the basic cheap room rate these people must have been paying near $2,000 per month for the room, plus at least $500 for cigarettes. I noted 10 cigarettes per hour consumption per adult and given the 20 hours these people seem to stay awake the smokes could cost more like $900 per couple. There were kids all over the place, and they need to be fed and the adults seemed to be drinking alcohol (not to mention substances used to help with the staying up all night) so just a conservative estimate would indicate an income (or at least expenses amounting to) $40,000 to $50,000 per year. I'm not actually complaining, just marveling. This stay was an education for me. Where does the money come from?
Less major complaints: Stained rugs and furniture. Smells. The electrical outlets in our room mostly did not work. My wife tried to charge her iPod in the plug on one wall and all the room lights went out and the ipod died. We tried plugging it and our phones into the plug on the outer wall, but this outlet died and nothing plugged into it charged that night, or ever again. The light that was plugged into it, for one side of the bed also died. We tried switching bulbs to get the reading light over the bed to work and it exploded.
The second night we found that the one plug in the very back, connected to the fridge, the microwave, the coffee maker, etc. would work if we unplugged all those things. So after a day of dead electronics we were able to charge some of them. But only by unplugging all the room conveniences.
The room air conditioner seemed to work well, though it was very very loud. Strangely, it was not loud enough to drown out the shouting matches right outside the room.
Having said all this, I have to report that the staff were as helpful as they could be. We complained and they acknowledged all the issues and refunded all room costs for one of the nights we stayed. No complaints about the staff. They seem to be doing the best they can with the given situation.
But here's the thing: if a motel goes the way of housing local residents who need a place to stay, I'm all for it. That's helping the community. Excellent! But if these people are staying up all night partying and this has become the norm for this motel then they shouldn't rent rooms to those of us who come to Chico to visit our kids and are expecting to sleep. Just give us some warning that this is the place where people live long-term and rent rooms to party all night, and we will know to go elsewhere. I don't think that is too much to ask.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Michael K
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I would not recommend this place at all. It may be in a good location, but the rate is still pretty high. The rooms are big, but they are nasty; the carpet is dirty and everything is old and dusty. Also, the staff is very unprofessional. By mistake, they gave access to our room to another guest, so someone opened our door and got in the room while we were sleeping at 3:45 AM; that was really scary. We could not lock the door from the inside because the lock was broken. Aah, on top of that, they charged us twice by mistake, so now we are dealing with that. This place is really disgusting.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends