“The price is attractive, but from now on we'll opt for something different”

Heritage Inn Express Chico
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Chico
British Columbia
“The price is attractive, but from now on we'll opt for something different”
Reviewed 4 March 2010

My husband and I stayed 3 nights in this hotel (unexpected road trip delay), and each morning we said that if we had to stay another night, we'd find a different place, but then it would get late and we'd realize we'd have to stay another night and it was easy to just go back.

If your budget is the deciding factor on where to stay, this place is pretty clean. I felt okay walking barefoot through the rooms. It could use some upgrades, but it's not horrible. It's just not great. One of the rooms had a door that we had to slam to get it to close. Another had a loose faucet in the tub. And truckers like this place, too, it seems--even after midnight, an occasional truck could be heard driving past the window and parking in the lot.

But if your budget is the deciding factor, be advised that instead of taking advantage of the breakfast the hotel offers (which was sparse--instant oatmeal, bran cereal, danish or mediocre bagels), you'll probably want to run across the street to the Tin Roof Bakery, which has phenomenal breakfast goodies, so in that case, breakfast wouldn't really be included in the cost of the room.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
California
Reviewed 15 February 2010

This hotel has gone down hill. When I was a student at CSU Chico, this is where my parents stayed, but after staying there this weekend, I will not be returning. It is wonderfully located to downtown and campus, but it is VERY noisy. The hotel is relatively clean, but even the non-smoking rooms, smelled smokey. The clientele was questionable, it looked as if some people may be living there. There was a drunken fight between two girls who were screaming profanities.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Chico hotels

california
Reviewed 14 December 2009

This hotel was great, my check-in went smoothly and the staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. The room overall was clean, for the price I paid it was worth it.

• Stayed December 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 8 August 2009

The good: it's a nice location. Walk easily to Chico's downtown restaurants, the university, etc.

The bad: it is really noisy. The wireless internet was "out for ten days." The decor, stained carpet, and furniture, including the beds, should have been replaced YEARS ago; it is really uncomfortable because of this. The cheap beds are hard as plywood and the linens look like they came from a thrift store. My first few minutes in the room, I turned on the tv, and seconds later it popped and went off, followed by the insidious burning plastic and rubber smell. To their credit, they had a guy in the room with a new one within minutes; he then complained that all of the tvs had been going out because they're so old and the owners wouldn't replace anything. After his comment I began to notice that, yes, the place reeks of the kind of thrift you would not expect to see in a Motel 6. And that's where the bargain ends.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Elk Grove
Reviewed 12 May 2009

I thought the room would be clean and nice since the lobby looked ok but that was not the case. The room smelled and it looked like the maid had spend five minutes in there and she forgot to vacuum. When I spoke to the lobby person about changing rooms she refused and hinted that I was not telling the truth and that I could check out and get a refund if I did not want to stay there. I did just that in less then a minute. Never going back.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed 6 November 2008

I just got back from staying at this hotel for Halloween weekend. My overall experience was great, I was looking for a clean place, close to downtown bars and restaurants, where I could recoup in quiet with my gf after partying. The rooms were clean and quiet, and I got upgraded to a suite for free. It had all the usual amenities including a jacuzzi which i did not use. There was complementary welcome packages including most notably advil and a razor, which i did take advantage of. I saw an ethernet jack above the mini-desk, but I didnt bring my computer so I can't vouch for any included internet. Overall my price was about 100 bucks a night, and they wanted one night's deposit in advance upon checking in. I plan to stay at the same place (and hopefully same room) next time I need to visit Chico.

• Liked — Prime downtown location
  • Disliked — Dim bathroom light?
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
SF Bay Area
Reviewed 28 October 2008

My wife and I were in Chico for the weekend to visit our Daughter, a sophmore at CSU Chico.

Unfortunately, this is not the place to stay if you want a reasonably peaceful and good night of sleep. No doubt this hotel's reasonable rates and proximity to the downtown attract customers and friends of customers that enjoy the weekend nightlife in the downtown.

On Saturday night the noise started at around 1:30 AM, as the late night crowd with their friends stumbled back to the hotel for a little more partying, and got really bad at 3:00 AM when three police cars showed up. The ruckus continued until close to 4am.

Strongly recommend not staying at this location if you want to get any sleep.

• Liked — Proximity to CSU Chico
  • Disliked — Lack of good night's rest
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)