“Um...its cheap”

Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Chico
Benicia, California, United States
“Um...its cheap”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Only great thing about this place is that it is cheap.
Location: only great because its next to one of my favorite restaurants (Rice Bowl)
Service: came at night and just told em I was c/o so very minimal interactions
Room Condition: THERE WAS A 1 1/3 DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE THRESHOLD AND THE DOOR! HOW DOES THAT PASS INSPECTIONS?? MICE, SNAKES, SPIDERS COULD ALL EASILY COME INTO THE ROOM. The bed was rock hard, the pillows lumpy, the linens scratchy and the comforter had cigarette burns in it....do I really have to say more?

Room Tip: Don't stay here go spend the extra $50 at the Marriott or even the Best Western or anywhere wher...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cassey L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Orland, California, United States
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Had great stay.....Mina was awesome at front desk all the help was accommodating and spot on.......Great service etc .will come back.......nice and clean ...very friendly, and quiet what we needed.......thank you

Room Tip: didnt use swimming pool or room service.....
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sandy R
Sonoma County
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I stayed here one night about 2 weeks ago when my camping trip at Butte Recreation was rained out. I needed somewhere inexpensive and last minute. I saw the reviews, and so I didn't expect much- just a clean place to sleep for the night. I checked into the room and the smell of smoke was overwhelming. The phone did not work, the remote control was missing, I could not get a wifi signal and the prostitutes that were using the room across the parking lot would not stop yelling at each other. The room was DIRTY. Dirt on the walls, brown stuff around the toilet, carpets just gross.I contacted the guy at the front, and he came and put the phone back together so it would work and brought a new remote. While searching for the remote, I discovered living and entirely unafraid cockroaches in the drawers. When I checked out, I told them about the roaches and asked if there was a discount considering all of the issues. I was told I needed to talk to the owner and he was out. I told them nevermind, but they should deal with the roach issue. Never again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank sonomayum

Travellers are raving about these Chico hotels

Canyon Lake, California
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I moved my daughter up to Chico in August for school and spent 3 nights at this motel. I really just needed a place to sleep since we would be runing around during the day getting her moved in to her new place by the college. The price was amazing like $42 a night, and it was close to everything you need. You could walk to walgreens and fast food if you wanted to. It was also very close to freeway. It was definitely not fancy but I wasn't there to vacation. The place was clean enough the bathroom was clean (only a shower) and the TV and remote worked just fine. It was over 100 degrees each day and I had no problems wih the air, walked into a cold room every night. I love all the trees on the property and the very best part of this motel is that you can pull your car up right in front of your motel room. No long hallways os stairs to climb when your coming and going all day long.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank cariute
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The rooms are clean and the fee is minimal. However, the pool was a little scary looking and I was a little unhappy that I booked the room with 3 people but only got two towels even after requesting more. The office does not open until sometime after 9, making it very difficult to get service (towels, toilet would not flush properly). Inquired about checking out since they were closed when I would be leaving and was told to leave my key in room and leave. Little worried that I did not get close-out papers!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank rjones-75
Paradise, California, United States
Reviewed 19 June 2012

These managers seem to not really care about the guests. They only care about themselves and their "large" property. I stayed here for a week and everyday for an hour in the morning they blow leaves, right by the room doors, waking you up. The pool was disgusting. They had 3 chairs by the pool, one of which was broken, and there was dirt, leaves and other debris floating in the pool. No employees smiled ever. I also saw a woman complain to the owner that her car was broken into, and she didn't seem slightly concerned. When I complained about the leaf blower in the morning, she was not concerned just said there was nothing they could do, and walked away. Extremely inconsiderate. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, UNLESS YOU PLAN ON ONLY STAYING ONE NIGHT.

Room Tip: Go camping.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kate B
San Francisco
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I love to stay at cheap hotels--occasionally you find a gem. The Safari Inn, unfortunately, is not. I couldn't find the place on Mapquest, which is my fault, so I called the front desk. I told the proprietor that I had a reservation on line, and asked him for directions since I had just arrived in town. He barked back, "Name!?" I repeated my request for directions, which he then provided.

Arriving at the motel, I told the proprietor I had a reservation, and showed him the booking from the internet. Again he growled, "Name!?" "It's on the booking," I retorted. He proceeded to take my registration and credit card information, and gave me the room card. I had to ask him what the room number was. Pretty rude, but I understand that life is hard and then you die.

The room was adequate, but no wifi, or ethernet. There was a television, but no cable hook up. Guess it's just for show. What I loved was the mattress, the pillow, and being asleep. If the guests need anything but this, I would really recommend a friendlier place.

Room Tip: Drive farther down the road.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business