“Another dining gem in Chico”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mom's

Mom's
Ranked #11 of 312 Restaurants in Chico
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
california
“Another dining gem in Chico”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Mom's is a wonderful addition to the culinary fare in Chico. They do a great breakfast and utilize mostly locally sourced ingredients. I have become a big fan of the lunch and especially their roast beef dip sandwich with fries. The au jus is so rich and incredible and the portion of beef is very generous. My wife and I recently went there for the first time for dinner. She loves their pasta (portabella?) while I tried a few of the happy hour dishes for $5 each. Everything was delicious. They serve beer and alcohol. Their mixed drinks are excellent of which I am a fanatic of their spicy bloody Maria. If you are here for parents weekend or just passing through town then this is a must try.

• Visited June 2014

Northern California
“Really GOOD food and GREAT coffee!”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Although we both went to college at Cal State, Chico we rarely get back for visits so this was a special stop for brunch. Mom's is a warm, comfortable cafe serving some of the best brunch items we've ever had. The corned beef hash over potatoes with melting Swiss cheese was fantastic as was the eggs Benedict with delicious hollandaise sauce. Our server was friendly and gracious, promptly refilling our coffee several times. The coffee was excellent, wish I'd asked what blend they use. We're looking forward to a return trip to Chico to try lunch at Mom's next time!

• Visited April 2014
“Average”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The food is pretty great at Mom's but the service is soooooo slow. There always seems to be a ton of people working but food,drinks, bill, always take too long to get.

Visited November 2013
Eureka, cA
“Darn good Brunch!”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I had been to Mom's for breakfast several years ago and thought .... meh. So it was my kid's 21st birthday and she couldn't wait to order her first cocktail and if it were up to her we would have gone at 7:00 a.m. but 11:00 we went and the place was packed. Its neat, bustling place, resembling a larger chain on the surface but its not at all. Bloody mary was perfect and the mimosa with both fresh orange and grapefruit was delish. The eggs benedict choices were solid - I opted for the one with spinach to pretend it was healthier. Really good hollandaise and potatoes. We also tried a single gluten free blueberry pancake. A solid attempt. (gf is never going to be like the original but alas all that wheat!) My daughter was awarded with a certificate for a future free meal or dinner entree so that was nice and apparently customary. I love when a local venue makes good and improves with time, and responds to choosing local seasonal ingredients. Mom's has succeeded on all fronts.

• Visited February 2014
Cody
“Outstanding breakfast!”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I went to Chico for a class. When I asked the instructor for a great breakfast joint, he said Mom's and one other place were the best in town. I went to Mom's and found it to be WAY above average for a place serving breakfast.

The ambiance was warm and cozy, which is a Really Good Thing on a cold December morn, but it also be appropriate at any other time of the year.

But it was not the ambiance that set Mom's apart from the ordinary, it was the food. This was NOT truck stop food. The offerings had a touch of class. I had a vegetarian hash (or something like that--I forget the actual name) which was truly delightful and quite original in my wanderings. Any time you find something original and tasty, you are dealing with a chef or meal planner that actually puts some thought into the cuisine. That is always a good sign.

The coffee was also above average. That is always a pleasant bonus, especially while traveling.

The very minor downers included (1) no Tabasco sauce (although there were a plethora other hot sauces to choose from), and (2) no bread with the meal. For me, bread is not only a necessary taste accompaniment for a meal, but a functional necessity as well. How else are you to push food bits onto the fork, or sop up the orts at the end of the meal? I did leave a note on the comment card about the lack of bread, so perhaps this will be taken care of in the future.

Anyway, the entire dining experience was FAR above average.

Visited December 2013

Been to Mom's? Share your experiences!