“Great place to stay in Chico”
Review of Courtyard Chico

Courtyard Chico
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Chico
Crestline, California
“Great place to stay in Chico”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I staued here for one week. The rooms were great and the pool and jacuzzi are indoors. They redecorated since I was last there and the rooms are a lot better as well as the lobby. The employees are friendly and always say hi when you walk by the front desk. I had requested certain ameneties for the week and they were real good about helping me out. Will definitely stay here in the future. It is located right off the freeway for easy access and one exit away from restaurants and the mall.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank eagleeyes142

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Oviedo, Florida
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Had to travel to Chico, Cal. for business. Front desk had me checked in and able to go to my room in less than 3 minutes. Lobby has a bistro/bar. My room was spacious and clean. Quick assistance with WiFi and Wake Up call only took seconds. I would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: They offered me the choice of floor to make my stay easier concerning sleep.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

This is an older hotel, based on the bathrooms, curtains (showing wear) but my room was clean. Customer service at both the front desk and cafe were excellent. Very friendly and helpful people. You are close in driving distance to restaurants and shopping (target, strip malls) but you can't walk to them.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Tyler G, General Manager at Courtyard Chico, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments regarding your stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. I am happy to tell you that we are scheduled for a room renovation later this year. All rooms will be refreshed and updated. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we will see you again in the future.
Granite Bay, California
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We frequently stay at Marriott when travel because we are rewards members. We generally find them clean, comfortable and fairly quiet. We have stayed in several Marriott's including the Courtyard Marriott in downtown Philadelphia and never had an issue with noise. This was by far the noisiest hotel I have stayed in while traveling! We could hear the room above us so well we heard his alarm go off, toilet flush, shower go on and foot steps all at 5:00AM! You could hear anyone in the hallway walking by, the maids doing their service and of course the elevator! Really surprising and disappointing for a Marriott brand. So if you are a light sleeper I would not recommend this hotel. Other than the noise problem it is a nice hotel, well located and has a friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Tyler G, General Manager at Courtyard Chico, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I apologize that your stay was such a noisy one. I can understand how frustrating that would be. I am very happy that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. In the future we would be happy to try to find a quieter room. Thank you again and I hope we will see you again the next time you are in the area.
Folsom, California
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My husband and I recently stayed a night in Chico with our kids. We reserved a room at this Courtyard because it was the only hotel in the area we could find with an indoor pool. We hoped our kids could play in the pool for a considerable portion of our stay. Based on our experience, I would caution other families to consider some factors before they book at this hotel:

PROS: Beautiful hotel, friendly staff, convenient location (next to the hotel are a Dutch Bros, a roller rink and mini golf, a Pete's restaurant, and Hwy. 99).

CONS FOR FAMILIES:
1) You'll need to be extra-sensitive to the noise level your kids make. My oldest child is almost 10, and we have stayed in several hotels each year since she was a baby. We never had a noise complaint lodged against us -- until we stayed at this Courtyard. Thirty minutes after we checked in, the front desk called to inform us of complaints. I'll admit my kids were a little, shall we say, "exuberant" and that my husband and I should have nipped their exuberance in the bud. But it was only 5pm -- not an hour when we expected any traveler would be concerned about noise. I'm not justifying my kids' behavior; we were extremely vigilant about it after that, and no more complaints were lodged against us. But I want to warn other parents: if our experience is any indication, you will have to be very careful about your kids' noise level while you are at this hotel. Poor soundproofing might be a factor; other reviewers (both on TripAdvisor and on Yelp) have complained they could hear everything in adjoining rooms at this hotel, even when no one was behaving unreasonably. It could also be that Courtyards still cater primarily to business travelers (their original purpose) and other adults without children. Those travelers may be extra-sensitive to kid noise -- sensitive enough to call the front desk about it as early as 5pm. So just consider how well you will fit in here if you have kids with you.

2) As I said, we booked the Courtyard because it seemed to be the only hotel in Chico that had an indoor pool. Then we showed up only to discover a sign on the door to the pool area indicating that the pool heater was broken. This was a huge disappointment. The water was ice cold. My children used the pool anyway for a little while (teeth chattering), but because it was so cold, they could not use it for hours as we had been planning on. When we checked out, we asked for and received a small discount on our room rate from the front desk agent because of the pool heater being broken. Still, I would caution any parents picking this hotel because of its indoor pool to call before your stay and make sure the heater is functioning before you go through with your reservation. This could help you avoid disappointment.

3) This is a small issue, but worth knowing for parents: The selection of kid-friendly TV channels is very limited: Nickelodeon all day, plus PBS in the morning. (There is also Cartoon Network, but you may want to exercise caution with its content.). We have stayed at other hotels with more kid-friendly channels available like Disney Jr. and Sprout. If you have to keep your kids occupied quietly in the confines of a hotel room, it is nice to have more options for channels they can watch.

4) We knew when we booked that there was no free continental breakfast at this Courtyard -- and we were fine with that. We drove our kids into downtown Chico for donuts. But I will say from past hotel experience that free continental breakfast is a nice perk when you have kids -- one parent can stay in the room with the kids, and the other can go back and forth between the lobby and the room to bring up breakfast for everyone. Again, we knew when reserving at the Courtyard that it wouldn't have a free lobby breakfast, but the lack of it is something a family might want to take into consideration.

The Courtyard Marriott in Chico IS a very nice property. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to travelers without children. But it wasn't the easiest place to stay with children, and I thought I would give some caution about that to other families.

Room Tip: If you do stay here with kids, stay on the first floor so you don't have to worry about their fo...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RKJ1001
Canyondam, California
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Very clean..helpful & friendly staff. Room very large and bright. Breakfast very yummy and reasonable. Restaurant nearby for dinner..yummy Italian..walking distance. We would recommend and stay again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Because of their loyalty program we stay in Marriotts often, but even a Platinum status doesn't rate a free breakfast here. The room was perfectly adequate, the desk staff friendly and attentive, and the lobby is large and gracious. Breakfast at their "Bistro", while expensive, was actually delicious. But when traveling to Chico again I'll stay at the cozier Oxford Suites, with their free (though NOT delicious!) breakfast and wine or beer in the evening.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Tyler G, General Manager at Courtyard Chico, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and found the staff to be friendly and attentive and the Bistro food to be delicious! I understand your desire to have a free breakfast. I wanted to let you know that we do have rates that include a breakfast package and we also have the Residence Inn by Marriott next door and they do have breakfast included in the rate. Thank you for staying at the Courtyard in Chico and we do hope to see you again in the future.