“Rotten smell as we arrived”
Review of Hotel Diamond

Hotel Diamond
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Chico
Reviewed 2 January 2013

This was our third time staying at this unique hotel in downtown Chico. It really is charming, but when we arrived we could smell a sewer odor everywhere. It was worse in our room. Think 2 week old cooked broccoli and a toilet that has overflowed. When we called downstairs they said, Odor, what odor"? On our way to our NYE dinner at the restaurant downstairs, I approached the front desk manager to ask her to go to our room while we were dining because the smell was getting to be unbearable. She admitted maintenance was checking out a possible sewer leak/pump outage. Could they have not told us this when we called an hour before? The I am sorry and we will deliver a bottle of champagne to your room that never arrived was not okay for the price we paid.
The room was very small, the bed ok but you can hear everyone in their rooms next door and even across the hallway. Pay more and ask for a 4th floor room.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank jebett
Ryan B, Manager at Hotel Diamond, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. I do have to apologize about your unpleasant stay. The next time that you stay with us, make sure to let us know in advance about your room floor preference and we will put permanent notes into your profile. We hope that you come back so we can better serve you.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

This is an overpriced, poorly run hotel with a lack in customer service and understanding of the definition of the word boutique. Do not stay here. I am from Chico and when I returned to visit family my husband and I stayed here. It was a waste of money and time.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Meredith B
Ryan B, Manager at Hotel Diamond, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry your experience wasn't up to par and I wish there was a way that we could have fixed any problems that you might have had at the time. We hope to get the opportunity in the future for a second chance to change your mind.

Reviewed 23 November 2012

Clean and quiet, but wasn't impressed with the bed. Felt cheap, too soft, flimsy. Linens were nice, but didn't make up for cheapness of the mattress. Bathroom was small and they use very cheap toilet paper! Not a $150 per night hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Michael M
Ryan B, Manager at Hotel Diamond, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you felt that way about our beds, we have them specially made just for our hotel but cannot always satisfy all body types. We hope that you did enjoy the other immensities of our hotel and might reconsider our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

Location, staff and hotel is hands down the best in Chico. Could use some focus and improvement on the rooms but we will return to the Hotel In the future. The gym is a two mile drive away but worth the trip with a large facility.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Ryan B, Manager at Hotel Diamond, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you for your time and positive review. We take great pride in providing the best service possible. We are happy to hear that you were able to utilize our Inmotion Fitness partnership. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 4 November 2012

I try to stay at the Diamond every time I come to Chico,if I can get a reservation!! It is a very popular place to stay. Located in beautiful downtown Chico,it is close to everything. The rooms are exquisite! The management go out of their way to provide excellent customer service! It's a home away from home!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Ryan B, Manager at Hotel Diamond, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. It is our goal to provide the best service to our guests. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and the positive review. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

I have stayed at Hotel Diamond probably 5 times in the last 18 months. It is my favorite because of the location, parking is close and covered. The staff is friendly and helpful. Rooms are nice and clean. This last time I had to stay in chico without my husband and I would only stay at Hotel Diamond. It has a nice lobby and I could enjoy the bar and music and go upstairs to my room and not have to walk back to a hotel in the evening. The problem is I've told so many of my friends about how great it is I can't get a room anymore on the weekend!

Room Tip: I would ask the desk staff. They are very nice and they have worked there a long time and can give...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Lisa R

Thank you for your time and positive review. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stays with us and it is always a pleasure to have you. We take great pride in making sure that our guests have the best experience possible. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

My wife and I booked a room with a full bed through Expedia, which failed to mention the room was the size of a shoebox.  This became a problem when our 12 year old daughter came with us at the last minute, and the clerk informed us there wasn't enough room for a rollaway bed.

The place was sold out, so there were no other options on the property.  When we suggested we might find another hotel, we were told we would be hit with a cancellation fee.

Another hotel staffer helped me find a set of cushions we made up into a bed on the floor.  I got the bill today and saw we were charged an extra  $15, as if we had used a rollaway.

To top it off, the full bed in the room had a wooden headboard and footboard, making it impossible for me the sleep without curling up.  Anyway, it was a rough night for all.

I went to the Hotel Diamond's Website tonight and saw that the room is described as "petite" and "cozy."  I wish that information was provided to the third party booking sites.

Again,  it's a nice place, but be careful if you book a room at the lower end of the price spectrum.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank George W
Ryan B, Manager at Hotel Diamond, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for your review. Sorry to hear about your misfortune of receiving a small room and I'm sorry that we could not accommodate you better. We are a boutique hotel, which means that we only have 43 rooms. We are very popular during certain months due to our location and sell our very quickly. We usually recommend that you book about 2-4 months in advance. Also we have round the clock staff on hand to answer any and all questions to help make your stay as comfortable as possible.